Author Topic: If Harry Potter were a scientist...  (Read 5811 times)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
If Harry Potter were a scientist...
« on: September 11, 2012, 08:08:44 AM »
I'm (naturally) a huge fan of good fanfiction, but recently I came across something much more - a really good AU book, called Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

Premise: "Petunia married a biochemist, and Harry grew up reading science and science fiction. Then came the Hogwarts letter, and a whole new world that had never heard of Science. And new friends, like Hermione, and Professor McGonagall, and Professor Quirrell."

Basically, if you've got a scientific mind and you're a fan of Harry Potter, you cannot miss this. If you've got kids and you want them to be interested in physics, genetics, theory of of probability, decision analysis and just read a very interesting story, in general, then it's definitely a story for them and for you. It's very good. Both my friends(one of them hasn't even read Harry Potter) whom I've recommended this book to have been reading it and laughing for hours in a row. It's unfinished as of yet, but there are 85 chapters and 18,593 reviews on FF.net and counting. Translated into Russian and who knows how many other languages, probably. So... join us. :)

Official website, chapter-by chapter links and PDF download
Link at Fanfiction.net

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: If Harry Potter were a scientist...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 11:01:35 AM »
HPMOR is being updated again after a long period of... well, not-updating.

Then again, unless you're okay with Game of Thrones/Red Wedding and Xan's original bonded tragic ending, you might be better off not reading it.

In other news, if you like Discworld's Death, this little gem is priceless. End of the Line.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 07:34:54 AM »
Being in a severe "wantmorewantmorewantmorewheresthenextchapter" state doesn't help matters, so I decided to read some of the books mentioned in HPMOR.

And it turns out that Ender's Game doesn't suck. At least first chapters don't, I haven't read further yet. It's not HPMOR, but the similarities are clear.
(Myahaha, just found out there'll be a movie, too! Well, about time). So, not as good as Chapter 97, but it helps.

Offline Daulmakan

• Comfortably numb
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 05:49:27 PM »
And it turns out that Ender's Game doesn't suck. At least first chapters don't, I haven't read further yet.
I quite liked it, myself.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 07:48:48 AM »
Good news! Chapter 103 has been posted, and starting on February 15th, the final arc will... well, start. And it's bittersweet, but god, it's the best story ever. If you haven't been to hpmor.com, I'm so envious.

Have fun reading!

Offline Almateria

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 12:29:09 PM »
Is it the fanfic with Draco and Harry plotting how to best rape Luna Lovegood, following by a hundred of chapters with nothing happening, because, surprise, literally all plot in HP hinged on wizards being wizards?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 03:08:10 AM »
Aaand while we're happily awaiting Chapter 108 and Professor Quirrell's secrets, here's another funny little masterpiece: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10677106/1/Seventh-Horcrux