Author Topic: Volunteering to maintain D0Tweak  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
Volunteering to maintain D0Tweak
« on: September 07, 2014, 10:25:02 AM »
From comments in various other topics I gather that D0Tweak is, like D0Quest, in need of a maintainer to give it some love.  I really like this mod, but it seems it hasn't been updated for some time and is giving some issues with more modern mods.  I would be willing to work on fixing those.

I have privately been working on a version (that would be version 22) that currently does the following:
- Improves overall code layout, implements some minor bug fixes, removes unused files.
- Replaces all instances of DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF/COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS with DECOMPILE_AND_PATCH.
- Idem dito for all instances of DECOMPILE_DLG_TO_D/COMPILE_D_TO_DLG.
- Uses patch macros/functions instead of manual hacking where possible. (This is a work in progress, it's not that easy to figure out what someone else's code does!)
- Deprecates Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior and Corrected Demon Animations in favor of the versions included in the G3 Fixpack.
- Makes Improved Goodberries and BG1-Style Summon Spells aware of Divine Remix. This prevents clerics who do not have access to the proper spheres from gaining these spells at level up.
- Makes Visible Ioun Stones also patch the ioun stones added by Rogue Revisions, and introduces proper ACTION_IF statements to make it install on a ToB-less game if anyone is so inclined.
- Makes NPC/Summons Set off Traps detect the Shadow Thief Improvements component from Rogue Rebalancing, and refuse to install if it is found.

If the powers that be are okay with this, I would be happy to make sure that this little gem remains working with future mods, or alternatively that its parts are smoothly transitioned to other mods like G3 Fixpack or G3 Tweaks.  I will not be adding new functionality though.  (I reserve that for my own mods, thank you.)

However, I do not have BG(2)EE and currently have no plans of getting it, so I cannot work on compatibility with that.  I also do not speak any languages other than English and Dutch, so there isn't much I can do for the translations either.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: Volunteering to maintain D0Tweak
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 02:06:27 PM »
Thanks. Having any update for D0Tweak would be great, even if there are still some lingering EE issues (are there?) I'm conceptually okay with deprecating components if they are identically replicated in G3 Fixpack.

Can you elaborate on the last bit? Why would it refuse to install?
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 02:34:13 PM »
Let me just quote from the Rogue Rebalancing compatibility guide (http://www.shsforums.net/topic/27171-comprehensive-compatibility-guide-and-recommended-install-order/):

The "Summons/NPCs Set Off Traps" component of Ding0's Tweak Pack is conceptually incompatible with the "Shadow Thief Improvements" component of Rogue Rebalancing as it will inadvertently cause the Shadow Thief opponents to trigger their own traps.

Likewise, the G3 Fixpack readme (http://www.gibberlings3.net/readmes/readme-bg2fixpack.html) says:

D0Tweak - The 'Corrected Demon Animations' component is included in the core fixes. 'Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior' and 'Ghrey's Holy Symbol Fix' are included as Optional But Cool components.

Ghrey's Holy Symbol Fix was already deprecated in version 21.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 02:42:53 PM by Angel »

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 12:11:37 PM »
Sounds like a well-researched plan to me, go ahead. Thanks!
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 01:02:26 PM »
You're welcome.  I've been playing with WeiDU for well over three years or so, it's about time I do something with it that actually will see the light of day outside my computer. :-)

I'll do some final tests and tweaks and put up a release candidate in a day or two.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: