Author Topic: BWS's contribution to mod DL traffic  (Read 1937 times)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
BWS's contribution to mod DL traffic
« on: July 01, 2014, 11:20:58 PM »
I don't glance at PPG's statistics nearly as often as I used to. But while it's no secret to the three of you still reading this forum that forum activity is way, way down compared to years past, what may not be as apparent is that download traffic is up.

Way, way up.

In fact, it's been rather high for some time now, and actually peaked at an insane ~550 gigabytes in December 2013. That number appears to be an outlier and may well have been a DDOS attack of some sort (even I know that it's unlikely that 21,000 people actually needed to play Kelsey in a given month) but no month in the past year has been below 140 gigs. The average over the past year is nearly 300 gigs per month.

Compare that to August 2004, when we served up about 15 gigs of downloads. (We did have mirror sites back then, but they were already declining in importance.)

It's clear that one of the major reasons traffic is up is that more people are pursuing "install-by-default" strategies, and that the BWP aggregator is a major enabler of that. But how much?

Using instances of the wget client (used by BWP to download mods) as a proxy, it seems that roughly 45% of all of our mod downloads are initiated by BWP. Any other admins out there seeing an identifiable trend?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:42:36 AM by jcompton »
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: BWP's contribution to mod DL traffic
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 12:40:44 AM »
Sorry to be nitpicky:
BWP - Big World Project, a huge project to make all mods compatible, by Leomar Watson. Comes with a large pdf file that explains what to install how.

BWS - Big World Setup, a program originally created by Dabus, now mainly maintained by Quiet to automize the install including the downloads, automatically including all compatibility notes listed in the BWP descriptions, and more.

So, it's BWS initiating the downloads. (If you want MegaMod people to understand you, syntax is important..)

On topic (kind of, I'm not an admin): In the German forum, I see only few players being interested in modding work that is currently happening (try find playtesters, haha), activity there is mostly the already active people.
But a huge number of people with "Cannot get my Megamod install to work help" topics.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: BWS's contribution to mod DL traffic
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 07:51:11 AM »
No, that's a useful correction, thank you.

It occurred to me that I have access to the weidu.org stats as well so I looked at them, but the structure of that site is different--everything is reported as being part of the weidu.org domain, unlike PPG where all of our downloads are reported separately as part of the "mods.pocketplane.net" subdomain. So on weidu.org, BWS seems to be responsible only for about 5-8 percent of all hits, but that's including all of the hits to simply browse the content, not only looking at hits resulting in a download.

If anybody knows how to get Webalizer to report "top agents by KBytes" (that does not appear to be one of its core functions), let me know.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: