Author Topic: Totally Nosy and All But...  (Read 3888 times)

Offline Regullus

• Planewalker
Totally Nosy and All But...
« on: March 16, 2014, 02:30:49 PM »
I shall ask anyway, I was reading about Stampy, an English kid who does Minecraft videos, who is possibly going to make millions due to his videos and it made me wonder if any of the BG modders have actually made money in relation to their BG endeavors? I realize that nobody made money from altering the content of a game owned by someone else,  I mean that would be illegal and all, but otherwise? Did anyone go on to work for a game developer? I know some modders worked on BGEE as contractors, did other opportunities arise from their work as BG modders?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Totally Nosy and All But...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 12:51:47 AM »
Jason's "The Broken Hourglass" game was an interesting experience, even though it ended up unreleased. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 09:50:30 AM »
Well, the most recent and high-profile example would be DBG author and Keto creator Blue, who won the Paizo RPG Superstar contest and will now be paid to write a Pathfinder adventure. It's not a direct line between Jasper and module-writing, but clearly that background helped her along.

And I've earned some money as an actor--no, not because anybody ever said "We need the voice of Kelsey to play this fake cardiologist!" but clearly spending all that time in front of a mic for mod purposes helped me develop as an actor.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:09:45 AM by jcompton »
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 01:35:48 PM »
Well, I have heard of few cases that have some minor relation to the BG moding... such as K'aeloree finding employment, horred the plague(Big Picture mod current coder) involvement in The Shadow Sun and whole a lot of modders helping in the EE, not that they were payed, but they got their feet wet.
Also there's a few things, like me making a mod or two to advance the cause (well a SHSforums websites paypal donation), I of course did it for free and the donation suggestion was originated by the mod requester. So no money was passed to me.

The website admins can get a small amount of revenue by adding online ads to their sites, and have paypal etc. to increase income, but I have a real doubt that they can make any real money out of that as they are more likely be pouring a lot of money to have the sites at all, and not being subject to spam.
And of course there was the one sad and old case of the blackwyrmlair's forums exclusion to paying users, which was then reverted back in the recent times.

Offline Regullus

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 09:55:39 AM »
Well, that is impressive news and congratulations to all. It is nice to hear.

It sounds like quite a few have of have incorporated your BG efforts into RL assets.

Quote from: jc
DBG author and Keto creator Blue, who won the Paizo RPG Superstar contest

To win over a 1000 entries is very cool but Blue was always amazing.

Did Cam work on BGEE as a developer or consultant? Or, am I completely misunderstanding random read posts I've read.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 12:03:36 PM »
Cam was hugely instrumental to EE development. I don't know if they paid him or not, but based solely on what I saw in a couple of months on the EE testing board, they should have.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net