Author Topic: No dialog problem  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Yovaneth

• Planewalker
No dialog problem
« on: February 19, 2014, 04:05:24 AM »
Someone's bound to tell me that this is the wrong forum but...  ;D

Has anyone seen this problem before?

http://www.simpilot.net/~sc/fft_screenshots/nodialog.jpg

No dialog appears. I don't think it's a Weidu problem but I'm not sure. I'm trying to update Fishing For Trouble and there does seem to be a pattern to the problem:

1. It always happens if I add new FFT dialog to an existing FFT dialog. The existing dialog plays but the new dialog does not.
2. It always happens for new FFT characters.
3. There is never any problem with existing FFT dialog.

What I've tried:

1. A new installation of ToB
2. Shuffling the dialog so that the new stuff appears first
3. Dumping the dialog into NotePad to ensure that nothing exists that isn't ANSI (I use ConTEXT)
4. Adding the new lines by hand to the .tra file

This one has got me beaten. If it's really, really in the wrong forum can someone move it please? Ta!  8)

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
Re: No dialog problem
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 10:01:04 AM »
Is this in BG1EE(BG2EE) or regular BG2 ? As it happens, the EE's need the translations files to be in the whatever format(Encoding: UTF-8 without BOM). While the setup files are on ANSI encoding. The Notepad++ has the Encoding at the top pop up options.

Offline pro5

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 11:22:22 AM »
This exact thing would happen if you:
- have a "lang" subfolder with dialog.tlk file in it in a non-EE installation (for instance, to satisfy latest versions of DLTCEP who cannot seem to live w/o this folder)
and
- forget to copy the .tlk out of that folder into the folder with your chitin.key file after installing your mod.

Because, in that case, weidu use the dialog.tlk in the "lang" subfolder, while the game will be loading a different dialog.tlk from the main folder.

Happened to me a few times (doh). In any case, the problem here is that the strrefs referenced by the dialog are missing from your dialog.tlk.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:24:07 AM by pro5 »

Offline Yovaneth

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 04:17:05 PM »
Almost! I don't have a lang folder and I am using the latest version of Weidu. But your information about missing strings did let me fix the problem. I don't pretend to explain this but here's what I found:

1. The reason I saw the original dialog lines is that somewhere along the way the dialog.tlk file did not get those lines removed when uninstalling - it may very well have been a crashed uninstall. So no amount of additional uninstall/reinstall was going to remove those lines.
2. I copied in an untouched version of dialog.tlk, ran the FFT installer again and everything worked.

The moral? Don't assume your dialog.tlk is still a virgin!!  :o ;D ;D

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 04:17:00 AM »
1. The reason I saw the original dialog lines is that somewhere along the way the dialog.tlk file did not get those lines removed when uninstalling - it may very well have been a crashed uninstall. So no amount of additional uninstall/reinstall was going to remove those lines.
WeiDU never removes strings that have been appended to the TLK.

No dialog problem
I'm glad to hear it. I hate dialog problems.

Offline Yovaneth

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 04:36:14 AM »
Hm, yes, a bit of thought and  I can understand why. But it re-uses strings that are already there, yes? I wonder if, at some point, the last string appended by FFT went wrong somehow and caused a complete bollux for any subsequent ones. I guess it's possible.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: