Author Topic: My playthrough  (Read 5952 times)

Offline PrincessSuzie

• Planewalker
My playthrough
« on: January 22, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »
Very late to the party, but I've finally got my copy of IWD+HoW and trying out this mod!! So far, I'm LOVING it. It's closest thing that ever got to BG2 :)

I had to restart the game once because I realised that I have no mage in the group! (My PC is a Cleric). I've re-installed the mod to change Severn to Mage, Teri to Thief/Mage and Korin to Cleric/Ranger. This way, I have 2.5 heals and 2 mages :)

So far, dialogues were FANTASTIC!!! All of characters come across very interesting, their dialogues are not overly dramatised and fitting to situation. I love how they interact among themselves and the town folks rather than just concentrating on my PC. At the moment, I'm getting quite interested in Nella, Korin and Holvir. I just got to Kuldahar, and got really interested in Korin's story.

I think the only thing that is bugging me is how laggy the game is. I don't know whether it is due to mod or due to limitation of the combat, the whole game is quite laggy, not just the conversation. I'm ok with waiting a minute or two for party members to fire up the conversation but am sometimes worried I may be missing out on a conversation. For example, after I got to Kuldahar, Severn and Holvir had a conversation about the avalanche (how he Severn's lost his flute while Holvir's got injured a bit) - unless this conversation is meant to happen in Kuldahar, I got a feeling the whole thing was really delayed as I had to get through the path between avalanche and Kuldahar.

But all in all, I can't wait to go home after work and play IWD again! :)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: My playthrough
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 11:24:33 PM »
:) I'm glad you're enjoying it. The game itself is can be a bit of a grind, so I hoped the dialogues would make it more interesting. If you're playing regular IWD+HoW, then, yes, I fear that engine limitations require for you to stop for a few seconds(maybe just stop in every major area before leaving it for five seconds and check out if you've missed anything). You will NEVER miss dialogues - in the worst case, they'll just trigger a bit later.

(Also, each romanceable character has dialogues in player-initiated menu, if you click on them. New ones are added each chapter, and there's some regular player-initiated content for all).

Offline PrincessSuzie

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 07:14:11 AM »
I've just encountered something strange... Severn died from disease and when I resurrected him at the temple, his paperdoll changed to mage one with beard and all....  :o

How can this be fixed??  ???

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 07:22:11 AM »
It's been a while, but from what I recall, if you've selected Severn as a mage, I think he's supposed to have a mage avatar, no? At least, that's what the game gives you, if I'm not mistaken.

(If his avatar was "bardish" before: if you've chosen him as a bard, then reinstalled the mod to make Severn a mage and continued playing, I gather his avatar "remained" bardish by incident and then changed into the "correct" mage one).

Offline PrincessSuzie

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 02:31:36 AM »
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the response :)

I actually have another question.... what is the racial/alignment restriction to romance Severn. I had few flirty chat with Korin and maybe (not sure) with Holvir as well, but nothing from Severn yet. I'm playing neutral good half-elven female :)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
If you want a spoiler, Severn is not romanceable - you can romance Holvir and Korin for girls(human, elven, half-elven), and Nella and Teri for boys(again, human, elven, half-elven). Severn might have a relationship with one of the girls, though.

Offline PrincessSuzie

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 02:01:34 AM »
Thanks for that! Currently at Severed Hands. Great fun!! Honestly, at this point, I don't know who I like more - Holvir & Korin. Korin has very interesting history which makes me feel more for him, but Holvir is more my type (prince charming  ;D well, in this case paladin charming. He also has so much interesting dialogue - although sadly I feel he has more to say to others than to my PC.

Btw, I loved your sneak reference to Xan in Elven guys journal  ;D

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 02:11:37 AM »
Heh. :) I'm glad you've noticed.

Holvir's got a "commitment-to-the-Order-so-can't-have-a-family problem", but I think he can be talked out of it(especially if you have Tales of the Luremaster free expansion). My favorite romance is... I don't know, I like them all! Nella and Holvir are more reserved, but I think they're worth it, too.

Offline PrincessSuzie

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 09:35:38 PM »
Yes, I do find Holvir a little... hard to approach? Not exactly sure how I can describe him. He is very caring, charismatic and even wise - I think that's why a lot of NPCs and PC ask him for an opinion. But I think that makes him harder to approach because you feel as though you aren't good enough for him. It's not like you think he will judge you but more like less self confidence to approach him. Also, perhaps you feel that he treats everyone equally and hence you aren't anyone important to him... I don't know, that's what I would feel in my PC's place.

On the other hand, I think Korin doesn't really come across as "mysterious" elf, but someone who's vulnerable and try to hide true himself from others. At least when you first meet him. He is still rather vulnerable but he started open up to his friends and potential love interest, and it is really nice to see him try to come to terms with things happening or happened to him. I think I like Korin better at the moment because he shares how he feel or his past to my PC a lot and that really make me feel that I'm getting to know him - and I like him as who he is! Kind of reminds me of Anomen, I started to pay him attention when he first started talking about his sister and family.

Funny though, I feel as though Holvir is more "mysterious" at this point cause he doesn't really talk much about himself. He is happy to talk but rarely about himself, most of the time he asks about others around him or merely giving them his opinion when asked for one. I don't know it's weird - I know he did talk about himself, rather personal stuff too - about the lady he met at the party, how he became paladin etc. What am I saying? Haha I'm contradicting myself now.

Anyway... just want to say, you've done excellent job, and I'm really enjoying the mod  :)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 12:16:40 AM »
Very glad to hear it. :) If you're going to go HoW and TotL, I recommend going during the main campaign(after Chapter 3,4 or 5, whichever you prefer).

Offline PrincessSuzie

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 02:01:37 AM »
Thanks for the tip! As soon as my party hits level 9, I will do that :)

Offline PrincessSuzie

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 05:38:45 PM »
I've almost cleared WatchKnight crypt. I just want to say... first kiss between Korin and my PC was like.... omg  ;)

At this rate, I'm definitely going with Korin!

Offline PrincessSuzie

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 08:40:02 AM »
Finished the whole game... and now I'm sad! What am I going to play now?

It was amazing experience. I don't think I've ever got so into a game and my NPCs since BG2 (ME2 was my 2nd favourite, now it's 3rd, after IWD + your mod!). I really loved each and every dialogues. Had good laugh when Nella and Holvir had conversation about Holvir's cloak near the furnace.

As I mentioned previously, I found both Korin and Holvir very attractive, but I knew I would go for Korin at the end for a long time. I really loved how his character develops, and even show hope for his long lost talent. Really memorable bits for me were the kiss they share at the Luremaster expansion and also when he shows his old self for a moment. It was a little strange though that there were dialogues of asking Korin to kiss me since he never did - he already did at the Castle Maluradek! (I finished Severed Hands then went to HoW/Luremaster expansion)

I found Holvir very attractive (I really loved his portrait and voice so much!) and his dialogues were extremely interesting, but at the end, I don't think many women would go for him because of his devotion for knighthood. I was actually quite shocked what he said right at Eastheaven (I reloaded save and decided to see what happens if I decide to pursue Holvir instead). I would have thought he will be a little more willing to negotiate, but he was quite adamant. I do remember you mentioning that I would have chance to convince otherwise if I have Luremaster expansion, so did I miss out on something?

I also really liked the dialogue between Korin and Holvir when they show rivalry - they still respect each other and care for each other and yet subtly shows a bit of hostility. Really nicely done! I felt they've became such a good friends and I would have hated to see their friendship breaking because of one woman they both come to love.

Well done, and thanks so much for such a wonderful mod! :)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 11:19:49 PM »
I'd recommend SWTOR - it's free to play now.  Also, Domi's got IWD2NPC Project with lovely Diriel, but you probably already know that.

Luremaster dialogues were written last, so it might be a little bit out of timing line. Holvir's Luremaster dialogue implies that his mind about the Order could be changed - and it'd still be possible for him to marry. But he's a stubborn guy, I give him that.

I'm very glad you've enjoyed, and thank you very much for your posts! You are very welcome. :)

Offline Creepin

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 10:21:28 AM »
It's been a while, but from what I recall, if you've selected Severn as a mage, I think he's supposed to have a mage avatar, no? At least, that's what the game gives you, if I'm not mistaken.

(If his avatar was "bardish" before: if you've chosen him as a bard, then reinstalled the mod to make Severn a mage and continued playing, I gather his avatar "remained" bardish by incident and then changed into the "correct" mage one).
Just a quick check: should Severn had a mage avatar if installed as a mage? Mine got bardic avatar, nothing NearInfinity would not fix in a moment, but I just want to make sure it was not your intention as an author. :)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »
I don't remember my intention then, alas. But if I were asked now, I'd answer "yes, a non-mage avatar for a mage Severn is perfect". :)

Offline Creepin

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 09:10:18 AM »
I do agree, even if technically a bug, bard avatar befitted his personality better, hence I asked :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: