Author Topic: Editing BG EE dialog.tlk with Near Infinity crashes game?  (Read 10722 times)

Greener

Editing BG EE dialog.tlk with Near Infinity crashes game?
« on: January 01, 2014, 04:16:24 PM »
Hey,

I'm trying to edit preexisting kit names/descriptions, and every time I try it crashes my game at the weapon proficiency section of the character creation page.

I'm able to edit spells and items without difficulty, but anything associated with characters crashes the game

I'm using the mac version BG EE 1.2.0 and NI 1.33 on a macbook pro running OSX 10.9

Thank you in advance!

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
Re: Editing BG EE dialog.tlk with Near Infinity crashes game?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 05:17:34 PM »
When you say you are using v1.33, exactly which version are you referring to? E.g., where did you download it? Are you adding any characters from outside the ASCII set? If so, which character encoding are you using? BG: EE will crash upon incorrectly encoded text. Correctly encoded text uses UTF-8.

Greener

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
I've tried using

v1.35.0-alpha.131123 and
v1.33-beta 20 as well as
v1.33 w1.3.0

all without success

Whats interesting is I can edit spells, and items but as soon as I try and change anything associated with clastext.2da or kittlist.2ds the game crashes at the weapon proficiency section of the character creation page every time

Greener

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 09:05:28 PM »
For what it's worth I was able to edit the strings in the dialog.tlk file by using DLTCEP via wineskin

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 10:35:11 AM »
Whats interesting is I can edit spells, and items but as soon as I try and change anything associated with clastext.2da or kittlist.2ds the game crashes at the weapon proficiency section of the character creation page every time
Erhm, it might be that you failed to keep the .2da tables form, and if that fails, could cause the crash.  Yes, if you look at the file the NearInfinity exports with Notepad, it seems extremely strange, if you use the NI itself, it looks a bit better, and then you use the Notepad++ and you can actually make almost sense of it all with the Show all markers option enabled. There's a few tab spaces instead of normal SPACE spaces and NI could throw a fit on those.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:44:30 AM by The Imp »

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 03:17:54 PM »
This is a lot easier to do with WeiDU. Just sayin'.

STRING_SET ~old string~ ~new string~

Greener

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 10:25:44 AM »
Erhm, it might be that you failed to keep the .2da tables form, and if that fails, could cause the crash.  Yes, if you look at the file the NearInfinity exports with Notepad, it seems extremely strange, if you use the NI itself, it looks a bit better, and then you use the Notepad++ and you can actually make almost sense of it all with the Show all markers option enabled. There's a few tab spaces instead of normal SPACE spaces and NI could throw a fit on those.

the 2da tables don't seem to be the issue, I've narrowed it down to editing the dialog.tlk file with NI as the culprit

Offline Argent77

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 11:43:27 AM »
the 2da tables don't seem to be the issue, I've narrowed it down to editing the dialog.tlk file with NI as the culprit
Did you set the character set to UTF-8 before editing the dialog.tlk? You can find it under Options->TLK Charset.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: