Author Topic: Beta 231.14  (Read 5766 times)

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
Beta 231.14
« on: September 22, 2013, 11:50:07 AM »
Beta location.

This version recognises BG2EE. Other changes since last beta include --script-style overriding the game-type autodetection in all respects, the new functions DELETE_WORLDMAP_LINKS and ADD_WORLDMAP_LINKS, more documentation and tutorials, weidu.conf being moved to the game directory (so you'll be re-prompted for which BGEE language to use) and better clean-up of backup files upon uninstallation.

Assuming no problems are found, how does a stable version around next week(end) sound? Is WeiDU in its current shape acceptable? BGEE language support is adequate? Any complaints?
Also, if any OS X types are reading this, please have a look at this. It would be a shame if WeiDU 232 went live without support for OS X.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 11:53:40 AM by Wisp »

Offline DavidW

• Planewalker
Re: Beta 231.14
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 05:46:05 PM »
In its current form it looks fantastic. (AUTO_EVAL_STRINGS is great, in particular, quite apart from BGEE handling!)

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 06:52:37 PM »
Cheers!

I've really had no problems with any of the betas. I have a vested interest in a stable release so I can get Tweaks out with the DECOMPRESS_BIFF, so there's that, too.

I'll take 23114 for a spin with G3A and see what happens.
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline Kaeloree

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 07:02:27 PM »
Ditto, I've had absolutely no issues. :)

Offline Kaeloree

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 07:53:16 PM »
Hmm, just tried ADD_JOURNAL on a BGII:EE game, and it seems to skip right past it.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 08:26:47 AM »
Hmm, just tried ADD_JOURNAL on a BGII:EE game, and it seems to skip right past it.
ADD_JOURNAL worked just fine for me on a G3A test.

GAME_IS BG2EE also worked fine.

One problem I'm discovering--tokens (i.e. <GABBER>) aren't being evaluated for new dialogue. In NI, when I compare my (new) dialogue string with an existing one I know works, the existing one is of type unknown (5) whereas my new one is type 0. After changing it to 5, the token works.

HANDLE_AUDIO and HANDLE_TILESETS both worked perfectly.

edit: FWIW I was just installing at the command-line with 'weidu g3anniversary\setup-g3anniversary.tp2', not with a setup program, in case that makes a difference.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:47:54 AM by CamDawg »

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 01:05:19 PM »
I'm not really convinced that this huge and not-so-clear wall of text:
This game is available in multiple languages. WeiDU will install mods to a single one of those game languages. Mods will
 be available for that language and that language alone. This choice is different from the choice of which language you
wish to install the mod in and you can install multiple mod languages to the same game language. If you switch to another
language, you need to reinstall your mods.

Please choose the game language to which you wish to install this mod. Your choice will be saved and reused in the future.
This choice is saved to the file weidu.conf, located in your game directory.

is better than simple:
Choose you Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition language.

Also, as there isn't any benefit when it come to such additional question, I think that this whole step should be skipped by just read baldur.ini language settings and the user should only receive notification like "You mods will be installed into English language of the game." If, however somebody will need to choose different language, he should use --use-lang switch.
Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games
Modder's Guide to Github - you cannot have progress without committing changes

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 08:03:56 PM »
Yeah, WeiDU 231.14 ADD_JOURNALs on BG2EE for me. Note that WeiDU 231.13 and earlier did not, however, because --script-styĺe et al. have no effect on whether WeiDU thinks the game is BGEE or not.

One problem I'm discovering--tokens (i.e. <GABBER>) aren't being evaluated for new dialogue. In NI, when I compare my (new) dialogue string with an existing one I know works, the existing one is of type unknown (5) whereas my new one is type 0. After changing it to 5, the token works.

HANDLE_AUDIO and HANDLE_TILESETS both worked perfectly.

edit: FWIW I was just installing at the command-line with 'weidu g3anniversary\setup-g3anniversary.tp2', not with a setup program, in case that makes a difference.
Try restoring your dialog.tlk to a clean state. If you installed the mod with WeiDU < 231.14 without using --script-style or equivalent, WeiDU will have added the strings in the BG1 format. If you then reinstall the mod with WeiDU 231.14, it will think the strings are already present and won't add them anew (or update the flags).

This game is available in multiple languages. WeiDU will install mods to a single one of those game languages. Mods will
 be available for that language and that language alone. This choice is different from the choice of which language you
wish to install the mod in and you can install multiple mod languages to the same game language. If you switch to another

Please choose the game language to which you wish to install this mod. Your choice will be saved and reused in the future.

is better than simple:
Opinions, everyone?

Also, as there isn't any benefit when it come to such additional question, I think that this whole step should be skipped by just read baldur.ini language settings and the user should only receive notification like "You mods will be installed into English language of the game." If, however somebody will need to choose different language, he should use --use-lang switch.
Objection noted. However, since Windows presents elevated WeiDU with a fake registry that does not accurately reflect the actual system, WeiDU can't rely on baldur.ini. (Plus the other problems.)

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 06:45:05 AM »
We now have a version for x84-64 OS X, thanks to alnair of the BGEE boards.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 07:40:40 AM »
Try restoring your dialog.tlk to a clean state. If you installed the mod with WeiDU < 231.14 without using --script-style or equivalent, WeiDU will have added the strings in the BG1 format. If you then reinstall the mod with WeiDU 231.14, it will think the strings are already present and won't add them anew (or update the flags).
Yep, that's what it was. I had started with 23113; clean install (and tlk) with 23114 works dandy.

is better than simple:
Opinions, everyone?
I like the shorter prompt, but I still feel like we need a warning that it's different than your mod language selection. Maybe 'Choose your Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition language. This choice is different from the choice of which language you wish to install the mod in.'

While I appreciate the conf info, what's really going to happen is that if users select the wrong language here, they won't remember it and won't have a way to force the prompt again. Realistically we are just going to have to deal with an education period for players on it.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 07:54:49 AM »
Wait, I've discovered a bug in HANDLE_AUDIO.

I installed G3A, then Auren, both of which use the HANDLE_AUDIO function (without arguments) and everything gets added just fine. I then chose to re-install G3A--so Auren uninstalls, G3A re-installs, and then Auren re-installs. In this case, Auren's audio is not added to the game as it's using the G3A paths when Auren's HANDLE_AUDIO is invoked.

Explicitly setting paths with Auren's HANDLE_AUDIO resolves the issue.

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 08:29:52 AM »
Wait, I've discovered a bug in HANDLE_AUDIO.

I installed G3A, then Auren, both of which use the HANDLE_AUDIO function (without arguments) and everything gets added just fine. I then chose to re-install G3A--so Auren uninstalls, G3A re-installs, and then Auren re-installs. In this case, Auren's audio is not added to the game as it's using the G3A paths when Auren's HANDLE_AUDIO is invoked.

Explicitly setting paths with Auren's HANDLE_AUDIO resolves the issue.
Ouch, in stack operations, the values of TP2_FILE_NAME, MOD_FOLDER and the rest are not updated for mods that are automatically handled. I'll see what I can do.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 09:00:37 AM »
In all honesty, the best (and easiest) solution is probably just to amend the docs. Using explicit paths solves any issues and is best practice regardless.

Offline DavidW

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 09:15:36 AM »
I've just noticed that COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS is marked as deprecated. I've occasionally been known to do

Code: [Select]
COPY "mymod/script.baf" "override/script.bcs"
   REPLACE_TEXTUALLY foo bar
   COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS

Is there a reason to avoid that or is the DEPRECATED just to encourage people to use DECOMPILE_AND_PATCH when they're editing extant scripts?

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 09:19:47 AM »
I've just noticed that COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS is marked as deprecated. I've occasionally been known to do

Code: [Select]
COPY "mymod/script.baf" "override/script.bcs"
   REPLACE_TEXTUALLY foo bar
   COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS

Is there a reason to avoid that or is the DEPRECATED just to encourage people to use DECOMPILE_AND_PATCH when they're editing extant scripts?
It's just finger wagging.

Offline DavidW

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 09:29:12 AM »
Cool.

While I'm looking at the readme, line 12 just above section 9.9 is obsolete (refers to IF_EVAL) and could be dropped.

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 11:33:19 AM »
I like the shorter prompt, but I still feel like we need a warning that it's different than your mod language selection. Maybe 'Choose your Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition language. This choice is different from the choice of which language you wish to install the mod in.'

While I appreciate the conf info, what's really going to happen is that if users select the wrong language here, they won't remember it and won't have a way to force the prompt again. Realistically we are just going to have to deal with an education period for players on it.

My thoughts are roughly that it doesn't so much matter what the question is, as long as the obvious answer is obvious. Fritz knows he wants to play the game in German, so when the available answers include German, he's rather unlikely to pick the wrong language, even if he does not understand the question. On the other hand, it's nice if people who know what they are doing receive the information they need to do what they want.

But proceeding along this "shorter and simpler question" line, how about this:
Please choose the language in which you wish to play the game. This choice is different from the choice of the language in which you wish to install this mod.
What I would still like to convey is that mods will be unavailable in the other languages and perhaps that the choice is stored and automatically reused. Edit: hah, and with this phrasing, we can rewrite the info in baldur.ini to match the user's answer.

While I'm looking at the readme, line 12 just above section 9.9 is obsolete (refers to IF_EVAL) and could be dropped.
Thanks. Fixed.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:40:16 AM by Wisp »

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 12:16:02 PM »
One more item--ADD_MUSIC fails on BG2EE with the old 'requires TobEx/GemRB for more than 99 musics' error.

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 12:46:24 PM »
One more item--ADD_MUSIC fails on BG2EE with the old 'requires TobEx/GemRB for more than 99 musics' error.
Is this urgent or can it wait until next version?

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 02:21:12 PM »
Is this urgent or can it wait until next version?
It can wait. Is there a file I can add temporarily to fool the check as a workaround? A fake tobex ini perhaps?

Offline Kaeloree

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 08:48:17 PM »
Sweet, yeah, I suspect I hadn't actually updated or something along those lines. That would probably be right. :D

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 02:40:12 AM »
It can wait. Is there a file I can add temporarily to fool the check as a workaround? A fake tobex ini perhaps?
If you have to do something I had better fix it. ...And done.

Edit: oh, and if you, you know, want to be able to install your mod before the next version is out, you can create the file tobex_ini/tobexver.txt with the contents exactly equal to a number >= 20 and WeiDU should be fooled into thinking an acceptable version of ToBEx is installed.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 03:22:22 AM by Wisp »

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 04:53:34 AM »
Please choose the language in which you wish to play the game. This choice is different from the choice of the language in which you wish to install this mod.
What I would still like to convey is that mods will be unavailable in the other languages and perhaps that the choice is stored and automatically reused. Edit: hah, and with this phrasing, we can rewrite the info in baldur.ini to match the user's answer.
Much better now. Can I somehow translate this line via tp2 of my mod?
Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games
Modder's Guide to Github - you cannot have progress without committing changes

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 05:28:52 AM »
Can I somehow translate this line via tp2 of my mod?
Yes. It will be @-1040.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 08:16:40 AM »
I'm suddenly reminded of all the backlash&confusion that's come after v200. I have a feeling we're going to deal with a lot of language-related questions after this comes out. Fortunately, we won't see this text message about the game's language on BG2/BG/Tutu/BGT installs, right?

My thoughts are roughly that it doesn't so much matter what the question is, as long as the obvious answer is obvious. Fritz knows he wants to play the game in German, so when the available answers include German, he's rather unlikely to pick the wrong language, even if he does not understand the question. On the other hand, it's nice if people who know what they are doing receive the information they need to do what they want.

As a user, I think the first part is clear, but the second might be a little confusing(mod language? Where do I select it? When? How? Panic, panic!). Maybe
"Please choose the language in which you wish to play the game. You will be prompted for the mod's language later [in the installation]." Or maybe I'm being picky. Take your pick.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: