Author Topic: Biffing  (Read 4184 times)

Offline Lu

• Planewalker
Biffing
« on: August 28, 2013, 11:57:58 AM »
My main concern is how to group files for biffing. Some rules certainly exist
Say, sounds for areas (.WAV files) I once tried to use original wav's for new areas. When they (the wav's) are stored in AMBSound.bif or in the override, everythibg's OK. But some are stored in different .BIF files, and it causes the game to crash
So, what's the proper way of grouping files for biffing?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Biffing
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 02:31:46 AM »
Jastey's just started a biffing-related topic at G3, too. It's somewhat different, but interesting(well, to me), so I'll link it in case someone hasn't seen it yet: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=25614

(I know practically nothing of biffing, and it seems to be bread and butter of your regular megamod install, so I'm going to monitor both topics with quite some interest).

Offline Lu

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 10:46:49 AM »
Good timing. Thanks for the link, Kulyok
I too am just starting to learn all these things about biffing, and indeed in certain situations it's bread and butter of modding

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 04:20:48 PM »
If you reference a sound in one area that exists in another biff, the game tends to crash. So the solution is either to duplicate the resources and rename them to your area or store the new area in the biff that has the sounds. The best way is just let the bigg's Generalised Biffing handle it after all mods are installed. The only thing you really need to biff beforehand is movies. Edit: and actually, this type of crash only applies to compressed biffs IIRC, so another solution is to decompress the biffs.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 04:26:55 PM by Miloch »

Offline Lu

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 12:59:11 PM »
I definitely prefer the last solution, i.e decompressing the biffs. That it takes more space is hardly an issue with modern comps. And the main advantage is that you have more freedom in grouping files for biffing (also, uncompressed biffs are quite likely read a little faster by the engine than compressed ones)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: