The problem is that the EFFs called by (the normal) Daystar get changed by the Fixpack to fix a whole host of issues. The upgraded Daystar is probably referencing the same EFFs, expecting them to be the old opcode. It's an easy fix, but something that should be fixed in Item Upgrade itself.
Do you think if I changed Daystar +4 to use the ordinary Daystar effs I could fix the issue without screwing anything up too badly?
It looks like this is the upshot of the Fixpack-modified Daystar effects:
First off, the base +dmg/+thac0 of Daystar is +2, which makes sense, since these are the appropriate global bonuses
Then the effects applied on melee hit:
- Calls evildam2.eff if target is evil, which applies a 2 slashing damage bonus (as per description)
- Calls daystar1.eff, which calls daystar2.eff if target is evil ( - why not just call daystar2 if target is evil?), which applies a 2 magic damage bonus ( - this appears to be unwarranted bonus damage if target is evil, unless I'm misreading something)
- Calls dbldead.eff if target is undead, which appears to apply a 1d8+2 magic damage bonus (as per description)
While looking at Daystar +4, I noticed that it perhaps is applying more-or-less the correct effects (EVILDAM2 and DAYSTAR1), but it's calling them globally instead of on melee hit, which I gather is a deprecated use since it applies the bonuses if the item is equipped in the offhand. It also has some quite unusual other global effects, like a Charisma bonus of 0, a max HP bonus of 0, an Attack Roll penalty against self vs evil of 0, protection from creature type: summoned_demon (I assume this is supposed to simulate Protection from Evil as listed in the description).
Since I haven't the foggiest what most of these global effects are supposed to do or whether they're working correctly, I won't mess with them other than the ones I understand.
If I wanted to change C2SW1H01.ITM (Daystar +4) to a more-or-less correct implementation, could I:
Remove the EVILDAM2 and DAYSTAR1 effects from Globals and create new, more appropriate effects and move them onto the Melee ability, like e.g. here
- an effect that calls EVILDAM3 if target is evil, which applies a 4 slashing damage bonus (as description)
- an effect that calls DAYSTAR3, which calls DAYSTAR 4 if target is evil, which applies a 4 magic damage bonus (assuming the Fixpack-modified Daystar should have this effect)
- an effect that calls DBLDEAD2.eff that applies the correct 1d8+4 for the upgraded version?
Note: I am certain that all the behavior I am describing from the Item Upgraded Daystar +4 is actually an Item Upgrade issue rather than an install order issue, because I looked at C2SW1H01 in the original Item Upgrade install files and it has the same behavior as I describe here.
As a side note, does anyone know how to make the most recent version of NI (from
) search through Override before baked-in BIFs for EFF files? It's been kind of a pain opening these EFFs since the View/Edit interface from the item no longer automatically pulls up the EFFs from the Override like Jon Olav Hauglid's latest version (out-of-date though it may be). I have made sure that "Ignore Override Files" is not
checked in the Options.