Author Topic: [Linux] Installing (Easy)Tutu.  (Read 10948 times)

Offline Tricky

• Planewalker
[Linux] Installing (Easy)Tutu.
« on: July 06, 2013, 03:42:52 PM »
Definitely need that Linux tag now. ;)

First of all, I need to write down a pretty major apology, because I can't effectively use the search function on this forum at the moment. Due to a recent move I've been almost completely cut off from the Internet. I made I deal with our neighbour to leech a little on his wireless instead. The problem is that this connection is really, really, bad. I can barely connect at all. At times I get lucky and manage to send over small bursts of Internet, just enough to check my email or load a normal web page half-broken-ish. Loading many search pages and going through multiple threads simply takes hours at this rate. The bad (but better than no) Internet situation is going to continue for me until the 19th of this month, too long to wait. I just have to get to the bottom of this now, so I can play BG1Tutu ASAP.

Quick summary. I can't seem to install Tutu. I have successfully installed it on Linux in the past, but not in the last six years or so. I don't exactly remember what I did then, and things have likely changed a little in Wine if not Tutu itself.

Probably irrelevant technical data:
Wine version: 1.6-RC4

First attempt at running EasyTutu failed quickly. Running it from the file manager didn't do anything, it just briefly opened Wine and closes it again. I ran it through the terminal but I forgot to write down the feedback. Later I read somewhere that EasyTutu requires Dot Net to be present on the system, which I remember installing on Wine before, just not any time recently. I tried three versions of Dot Net, 3.5, 4.0 and something called Mono.

3,5 and 4.0 I just couldn't install, even though it gets a Gold rating on WineAppDB. The installation process just interrupts itself with a weird error displaying some half Chinese, half Windings garbage. Someone mentioned Dot Net requires the MSXML 6.0 PARSER to be present, so I installed that without a problem. Sadly it made no difference, the exact same interrupt kept happening.

So I switched to Mono instead,  a relatively recent sort of replacement for Dot Net,  written specifically for Wine applications. Installing Mono went without a hitch. Yet somehow this didn't fix my issues with EasyTutu. It acted the same as before, not really doing anything. So I ran it through the terminal again, this time remembering to copy paste the feedback I got from running EasyTutu. It may not hold any relevance, but here you have it all the same:
Code: [Select]
disarm@disarm:~/.wine/drive_c/EasyTutu_ToB$ wine EasyTutuManager.exe
Missing method .ctor in assembly C:\EasyTutu_ToB\EasyTutuManager.exe, type System.Windows.Resources.AssemblyAssociatedContentFileAttribute
Can't find custom attr constructor image: C:\EasyTutu_ToB\EasyTutuManager.exe mtoken: 0x0a00000f

Unhandled Exception:
System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'EasyTutu_2011.App' from assembly 'EasyTutuManager, Version=1.0.8.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'EasyTutu_2011.App' from assembly 'EasyTutuManager, Version=1.0.8.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
disarm@disarm:~/.wine/drive_c/EasyTutu_ToB$

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try next?

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
Re: [Linux] Installing (Easy)Tutu.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 03:43:09 AM »
The EasyTutu installer was changed a while back, and as far as I know the new installer is Windows-only.

Offline Tricky

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:51:24 AM »
Thanks! Has the old, 'non-easy' installer stayed the same? I wanted to try that out instead, but the download links appear to broken: www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=141&Itemid=98

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:44:12 AM »
Yep, the link is dead. I'm not sure I have the version on my computer, either.

Folks, if anyone has the version of v4 Tutu for Mac(or has the power to make a new one), please, PM me with a link to it(or e-mail me at kulyok, at
yandex.ru), and I'll update the link.

Offline Tricky

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 11:48:30 AM »
So.. while waiting for the windows version of v4 to come back online, I thought I'd prepare some mods for later use. Ran into a bit of a problem there though.

http://usoutpost31.com/easytutu/

Lots of mods are called easytutu-this, easytutu-that. Can I install those in the normal, not-easytutu as well? The EasyTutu Degreenifier for instance is pretty vital. Do I need to find and install special non-easy 'v4' versions of these mods, or will these work too?

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
I don't know...Tutu v4?
You're better off with BGT.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 05:24:36 PM by Wisp »

Offline Tricky

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 03:33:42 AM »
I don't know...Tutu v4?
You're better off with BGT.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this. Can I install EasyTutu mods on that?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 03:48:32 AM »
Not Hard Times - it's written it's EasyTutu only. Not Finch NPC, either. You don't need EasyTutu Kit Selection, anyway, because we've got Level1NPC.

Main mods, like BG1 NPC, BG1 UB, SCS, tweaks, friendship mods and other NPCs will all work on BGT. You will have a big override folder(=slowness), though, should you wish to install BG2 mods on top of BG1 mods to play the BG2 part of BGT later. But given how you can't install any Tutu-related conversions, it might be indeed your best bet.

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 04:06:09 AM »
The EasyTutu Degreenifier is not necessary (BGT degreenifies as part of the install process).
The EasyTutu Spawn Randomizer is probably not compatible.
There is another version of Hard Times that works on BGT.

If you end up with poor performance due to many overridden files (but it is mostly only a problem with graphics and sound files), you can install Generalized Biffing.

Offline Tricky

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 11:30:18 AM »
Thanks for the help, Wisp and Kulyok. BGT works fine, I finished installing it a moment ago. Actually I was rather impressed with the BGT installer, there wasn't a single error or otherwise weird occurrence. Still though, I feel a little sad about EasyTutu. It was *the* tool to get it done on Linux and Windows for so many years. I can't even begin to guess how many times I've used it.  :'(

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 07:37:11 PM »
The old, pre-.net versions should be available from the main Easytutu page - check the first bullet in the Requirements section.
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 03:23:25 PM »
Not Hard Times - it's written it's EasyTutu only. Not Finch NPC, either.
Well, there's a BGT version of the Finch NPC in the BWP, as the BWP Fixpack updates the Tutu variables to be BGT variables.

I would like to see the Finch mod being revised to have both BGT & (Easy)Tutu compatible codes... if that's not too much to ask. And the BG:EE codes could be included as well, though I have no idea where to go fist those.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 12:17:49 AM »
Unless they got permission from Bons I understand that whoever re-wrote Finch for BGT went against the author's wishes and should have the download put down.

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 09:16:25 AM »
Unless they got permission from Bons I understand that whoever re-wrote Finch for BGT went against the author's wishes ...
Well I counter that by the facts that unless you or anyone else finds a post that disallows any modification of the mod itself, by Bons(Bonnie Rutledge, yes the 2005-2006 user version with that name) herself, there should be nothing that disallows anything what you claim.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 09:32:08 AM »
That's not how it works. If you want to modify someone else's mod, you ask permission - it's not "permission granted by default, permission denied only if author has a big pinned sign somewhere".

You or anyone else who would like Bons to officially approve any Finch modifications can easily ask her for permission - she's available on Facebook, if PM doesn't work.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 09:33:26 AM »
And, yes, currently there is a post from Bons on the closed workroom board saying she does not agree to Finch BGT.

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 10:29:25 AM »
There's a misunderstanding here. There is no "BGT Finch" being distributed. The BWP distributes a change set which allows Finch to be installed on BGT.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:05:44 AM by Wisp »

Offline The Imp

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 03:10:45 PM »
You or anyone else who would like Bons to officially approve any Finch modifications can easily ask her for permission - she's available on Facebook, if PM doesn't work.
I could try... erhm could you PM me the Facebook profile and I could take it from there ... and just so you know you are not talking to a creeper, my profile was here and at SHS the: Jarno Mikkola. Why the new profile... cause I lost the passwords and the Email cause I didn't use the Email account for over a 4 month period.

Yes, the exact Imp you hate. ;)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:20:34 PM by The Imp »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 12:22:37 AM »
Yeah, I think it's open information, since it's search-able and everything. Okay, here you go: https://www.facebook.com/bonnie.rutledge.96

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: