Author Topic: weidu feature request: resize portraits  (Read 2873 times)

Offline smeagolheart

• Planewalker
weidu feature request: resize portraits
« on: May 21, 2013, 12:39:48 AM »
Is it possible to add a feature to Weidu.

RESIZE_PORTRAIT

BUT ONLY if it needs to be resized :)

BGEE small portraits are 84*54 while old school small portraits are 38x60.   Would be nice if there was a way to dynamically size portraits down a size for legacy BG2 with the soon to be proliferation of BGEE mods (such as this one: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/18421/bgee-mod-weidu-soon-faces-by-irbis-jalily/p1

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
Re: weidu feature request: resize portraits
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 02:14:34 AM »
No.
Perhaps if this were vector graphics, but not for raster graphics.

Offline smeagolheart

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 01:24:08 PM »
ok.  So how do people these days ensure their portraits can be used between BG1/2/BGT/Tutu and BGEE. 

Portrait dimensions differences:
BGEE
Large: 210x330
Medium: 169x266
Small: 54x84

Everything Else:
Large: 210x330
Medium: 110x170
Small: 38x60

Wouldn't optimal be to start with the large and convert to others at mod install time as needed?

Online Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 02:24:30 PM »
Would it be a problem to include all portrait sizes in the mod?

Offline smeagolheart

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 05:25:10 PM »
The problem is not would it be a problem to include all portrait sizes in a mod.  The question is whether it would be a problem for all mods that already exist or ever will exist to include all sizes.

Offline Kaeloree

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 05:29:20 PM »
They'll all need to be updated anyway; it's no more work to just resize the portraits manually. :)

Offline smeagolheart

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 06:12:51 PM »
I don't speak for everyone but I prefer using BGT while all the GUI and various bugs that are BGEE are being ironed out (much less there being no BG2EE either yet).   So I won't be updating to "BGEE" until it's a bit less of a hot mess.   I *think* there will be a market for both BGEE and BGT for the foreseeable future

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 12:49:36 AM »
I understand that some modders, like me, provide small portraits for their characters in small BG2 size only(no medium/large sizes are available), and resizing would be problematic - there are no "medium" portraits to steal from, and stretching would kill the portrait.

Therefore, yep, I would be highly in favor of Weidu leaving small BG2-sized portraits alone by default, and modders providing their BG:EE/BG2 versions manually.

Offline Mike1072

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 01:34:00 AM »
I think the request is to allow modders to ship BGEE-sized versions of small portraits and be able to use a command to resize them to the smaller original BG size when installing on games other than BGEE.  The alternative is for mods to include 2 copies of each small portrait.

Adding this functionality is possible, even using built-in WeiDU commands put into a macro/function, but it's a little complicated.  You'd need a scaling algorithm and support for reading and writing the BMP file format.  Photoshop and similar programs have this already, so it's easier to use them instead.  Batch functionality lets you resize multiple images at once if you happen to have a lot.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »
This would be theoretically possible using an AT_NOW call to a command-line resizer like ImageMagick and including that with your mod (not sure if packaging it with WeiDU is such a great idea but hell, why not bloat it more? :P). However, I have not tested it in the realm of upsizing graphics. Some of the algorithms might do ok. Best solution is to do the work yourself with a photo editing program and package the relevant sets of photos accordingly and determine which will be used at install time in your mod.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: