Author Topic: Bugs and typos for v6. Problem with Dungeon Crawl? Report it here.  (Read 11517 times)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Please, report all bugs and typos in this thread - it's easier for me to fix when everything's in one place.

April

Re: Bugs and typos for v6. Problem with Dungeon Crawl? Report it here.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »
Noticed when I tried this mod that the creatures in it don't have their ai affected by SCS/aTweaks. Don't know if it's intentional or not but I assume that this can be seen as a bug.

The most notable effect of this is that greater mummies that are heavily changed in aTweaks get all their new stats but not their new scripts making them 14k exp pushovers because they don't use their new 19th lvl divine spell casting to any effect.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 11:10:13 AM »
You mean, atweaks changes them, but SCS doesn't? Does it change GMummies from other areas? I'm just using vanilla game creatures, with their scripts and stats, so if another mod installed after DC changes these scripts and stats, it probably should change creatures in DC, as well. 

Now that SCS is in beta and uses lots of unauthorized fixes, it's probably best that it doesn't change anything in DC. Kidding. :) But thank you for reporting, and if the issue is SCS-related, seriously, please, report in SCS forum, too - DavidW will probably know better.

April

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 11:23:22 AM »
No no, not like that. :)

I checked the area files and you hardlink to the vanilla scripts in them. The AI mods change the scripts on the .cre level and the area files seem to always go first. If you check the mummies in ar0802 in the actor part of the area file they have their scripts all set to none. This means they will use the scripts assigned in the .cre file.

The areas included in this mod have all monsters with assigned scripts in the area files. This means that they will only use those scripts and won't ever use the new scripts they get from the AI mods in their .cre files since the AI mods only changes the .cre files. This is actually not very optimal since if the player has not installed any AI mods then the scripts assigned in your area files and the .cre files will be the same anyway, but if the player has installed AI mods then those will be ignored for these specific monsters.

I hope I made myself understood.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 12:06:25 PM »
That's very thorough, thank you. I'll link DavidW to this explanation and discuss the issue for the next versions of our mods.

Offline DavidW

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 12:41:38 PM »
Okay, here's some more info about the issue (insofar as there is an issue).

What SCS does is look at every creature that's using a "standard" combat script (wtasight, mage18a, etc.) and change its spell choice and scripts (and occasionally level, where there's a big discrepancy between level as indicated by spells memorised and as indicated by actual level).

What I normally say to modders who want to insulate their creatures from SCS is: use a bespoke script. (Use an unmodified copy with a new name, if you prefer.) For most people it tends to be the other way around: they actively prefer SCS AI to apply to their creatures, usually because they don't want to write their own AI and would rather use whatever the background one is (whether SCS or vanilla).

However, SCS doesn't check for area-assigned scripts, mostly for pragmatic reasons (I'm lazy and it's hardly ever used in the BG-series games). Nothing terrible will happen as a consequence (the creatures will get a few spells they can't use).

Here's my advice:

(i) If you actively want SCS not to affect these creatures for whatever reason, and you are using bespoke creatures that don't get reused elsewhere in the game, just wipe their cre-file combat scripts and let the ARE file handle it.
(ii) If you're happy for SCS to affect the creatures, and again you're using bespoke creatures, assign the scripts via the cre file rather than the are file.
(iii) If in either case you're using non-bespoke creatures, make unmodified copies and use them instead. (That would be my general advice in BG and BG2 anyway - the IWD method of assigning all scripts by ARE file is in many ways more elegant, but BG2 is so thoroughly committed to the cre-file model that occasional deviations from it probably cause more confusion than they avert.)

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 02:08:43 PM »
Likewise, aTweaks does not consider scripts assigned on the area level. I can add some compatibility code to have aTweaks work well with Dungeon Crawl, if that's desirable.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 03:14:13 PM »
Thank you all, folks, I'll probably have to learn more about DC areas first, myself - I, ahem, wasn't even aware I was assigning scripts on some other level. I'll deal with the files after I get back from the vacation(I copied all my BG2/mod files to a new notebook, but Win8 seemed to skip all the .exe files. Gods, this system hates me).

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 12:36:23 AM »
Bottom line: I'm okay with aTweaks and SCS making DC monsters "tougher", if they want, as long as they don't crash the mod as a result.

I probably won't be doing any work on my end, though, for the fear of, well, crashing everything. (Though if a new DC translation or something is coming, I promise to take a good look, but I can't promise anything else).

Offline kiwidoc_again

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 06:12:50 PM »
SPOILERS!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Just letting you know a bug I ran up against - Arudin and co ported in just before I finished off Lepus the wabbit (quick someone pass me the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch) The demons final fire ball nuked Arudin, and now none of her group will talk to me.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 11:36:10 PM »
Whoops! Will check if I can fix that, thanks. :)

Offline kiwidoc_again

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 12:19:57 AM »
It happened again two more times ... and the time it didn't Minsce was killed (causing massive despair and much wailing from me and mr kiwidoc!) I did find a way round it - arranging my party to keep the nasty bunny as far to the top of the room as possible.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 01:33:23 AM »
On it right now. I'm sorry for the inconvenience - glad you discovered a way out!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 09:35:55 AM »
This issue should be fixed, yay! I'll test it and see if I can make sense of DavidW and Wisp's explanations about area-creature-scripts, and it will all go to the next version with BG2EE compatibility additions(nothing major).

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 10:36:06 AM »
I found out that my Mummy scripts were "MUMMY01`" instead of good old MUMMY01, so I edited them. I, um, hope the issue should be solved now.

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 12:43:23 PM »
I found out that my Mummy scripts were "MUMMY01`" instead of good old MUMMY01, so I edited them. I, um, hope the issue should be solved now.
Nah, don't do that. MUMMY01 is some silly script that by accounts works terribly. It's better of not being there. If you go into the area(s) of DC, the problem is/was that area actors have scripts assigned to them in the area itself (as part of the actor structure). Conventionally, scripts are assigned in the CRE.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 01:17:04 PM »
Thanks, I'll go to the area file and erase the scripts assigned to the mummies - I can do that.

I've never assigned scripts to the nameless area actors like mummies, though - I've no idea how to do that. I only ever added ready new creatures to the areas via the area scripts.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 10:46:03 AM »
Okay, I give up. Sorry, guys. I guess the only way to make mummies compatible on my end(=and I'll be able to technically do it) would be deleting all my creatures from the area entirely, then copying creature files from the game via .tp2 and adding the copied creatures again in the same coordinates via script, and since there're about twenty of them all in all(not just mummies, but skeletons and stuff), I'm not so sure I want to do it.