Author Topic: (un)installation batch files  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
    • Classic Adventures Homepage
(un)installation batch files
« on: December 09, 2012, 04:48:14 PM »
Are these still the modern/recommended methods of batch installing and uninstalling (all mods) on a windows system?

Add any other mod you want to install in the correct order:
Code: [Select]
Setup-bg2fixpack.exe --language 0 --force-install-list 0 1 3 100 101 102 103 104 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114
setup-1pp.exe --language 0 --force-install-list 0
setup-improvedbams.exe --language 0 --force-install-list 0
setup-adpack.exe --language 0 --force-install-list 0 1 2 3
rem etc., etc., etc.
As discussed here.

Create a batch file that uninstalls mods in reverse order that is listed in weidu.log. For example:
setup-jps_portraits.exe --language 0 --uninstall
Setup-Z#Misc.exe --language 0 --uninstall
setup-TB#TWEAKS.exe --language 0 --uninstall
setup-oversight.exe --language 0 --uninstall
Setup-Celestials.exe --language 0 --uninstall
setup-refinements.exe --language 0 --uninstall
setup-SPELLPACK.exe --language 0 --uninstall
As discussed here.

Also, when a mod installer prompts the user for input (such as some of the tweak mods that ask for the max capacity of bags and max in stack values, or the Widescreen mod that asks for X and Y screen resolution), is there a way to automate that?

Edit:  When uninstalling, is it better to use --force-uninstall-list than --uninstall if different components of the same mod are installed nonconsecutive?

TIA,
Sam.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:34:50 PM by Sam. »
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"
-- <CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

Offline agris

• Planewalker
Re: (un)installation batch files
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »
I'm a masochist who likes to make his own toned-downed tactics BWP install using just the pdf and a batch file. There is a way to automate inputs like you're talking about. in my root BG install folder, I create a new folder called "_custom-game" and inside it, for example, I'll have a file called widescreen.txt that reads

y

Because I know that I want to give it x = 1440, y = 900 and yes I'm sure, thankyouverymuch. Now, in my batch file I can pipe this info to the widescreen weidu installer by calling:

type _custom-game\widescreen.txt | SETUP-WIDESCREEN.exe --language 0 --force-install-list 0 --skip-at-view
Also, you'll notice the skip at view. That skips the mass opening of readmes and docs after install that so many mods force on us. Hope that helps!

One thing I wonder is if I could setup

type "1440 900 y" | SETUP-WIDESCREEN.exe --language 0 --force-install-list 0 --skip-at-view
But the advantage of the text file method is more clear for level1npcs, where I have a file for a given type of  class/proficiency and I can assign it while editing my master batch file.

Offline Jarno Mikkola

• The Imp.
  • Planewalker
    • website jocuri
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 02:25:25 PM »
Are these still the modern/recommended methods of batch installing and uninstalling (all mods) on a windows system?
Well, modern, erhm, if they work, they are not from the stone age.
Anyways, what agris says, is a really neat trick.
And on the uninstall, there's a few options you have, you can actually just archive your unmoded (BG2)game directory(this takes some time though) and use it as a backup by deleting the current game folder to "uninstall all mods" and replicate the install by extracting the archive. The Winrar has faster unpack speed on a .rar archive than you can to copy from any directory so, and you can keep it at the "games" directory where the game itself is, or with your mod archives.
Of course the BWS is recommended for larger install if you want compatibility to the mods. And it has it's own backup system.

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 07:23:10 PM »
And on the uninstall, there's a few options you have, you can actually just archive your unmoded (BG2)game directory(this takes some time though) and use it as a backup by deleting the current game folder to "uninstall all mods" and replicate the install by extracting the archive. The Winrar has faster unpack speed on a .rar archive than you can to copy from any directory so, and you can keep it at the "games" directory where the game itself is, or with your mod archives.
That's basically what I do for BG1 and BG2, but I'm primarily doing this for BGEE.  Uninstall all mods, let BGEE update, reinstall mods, repeat.  Backing up the installation doesn't exactly help  :P .  So far we don't have to worry about anything as complex as BWS, but times they are a changin'  :) .

Anyways, what agris says, is a really neat trick.
The genius of it blew my mind  ;D .
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 05:18:52 PM »
If anyone's interested, tell me what you think of PS WeiDU (Un)Installer v0.01

Offline Azazello

• The Anti-Spammer
  • Planewalker
    • Azazello’s Music Profile at Last.fm
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 06:57:45 AM »
I'm a masochist who likes to make his own toned-downed tactics BWP install using just the pdf and a batch file. There is a way to automate inputs like you're talking about.

<snip>

Nice touch. Gotta use that on my future installs.
Community Contributions
Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls
========================================
"Deception has many faces. Truth...has only one."

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: