Author Topic: DnD anthology's BG games vs conversion to Tutu/BGT  (Read 6836 times)

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
    • Infinity Engine Modding
DnD anthology's BG games vs conversion to Tutu/BGT
« on: April 30, 2012, 09:31:23 AM »
According to these:
http://www.shsforums.net/topic/54691-problem-installing-easy-tutu/page__pid__540606#entry540606
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36457453&postcount=522
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3136028&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=253#post401622204
the bgate2.mpi file is missing from the DnD anthology set's version of BG2.  This file is copied in both the EasyTutu & BGT conversion processes.

I think it might be a good idea to make note of this and provide a link to this particular file.
My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altherin.webs.com

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
Re: DnD anthology's BG games vs conversion to Tutu/BGT
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:37:45 PM »
The final build of the new installer handles this already.
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline WilliamImm

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:04:22 PM »
Well, the most recent installer still has that problem, if you compare the dates between the SHS post and your last release.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 05:16:23 AM »
Well, the most recent installer still has that problem, if you compare the dates between the SHS post and your last release.

That's a bit of a non sequitur.

I tested this issue at deployment time, but just to be safe, I just tested again, and found no problems.  It's easy enough to test yourself: make sure you have the latest release, rename your BG2 bgate2.mpi file, and then attempt an EasyTutu installation.

If someone can still reproduce the problem on the latest build, please post the steps to do so.

Offline WilliamImm

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 01:32:58 PM »

That's a bit of a non sequitur.

I tested this issue at deployment time, but just to be safe, I just tested again, and found no problems.  It's easy enough to test yourself: make sure you have the latest release, rename your BG2 bgate2.mpi file, and then attempt an EasyTutu installation.

If someone can still reproduce the problem on the latest build, please post the steps to do so.
I meant that the SHS post, which reported the problem, was posted after your latest release of the EasyTutu installer.

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 03:37:49 PM »
From the OP's return to let us know when everything was ok:
Thanks for the response. I thought maybe being a guest, I wouldn't get much of a reply. I did what Sasha said and re-installed my Dnd anthology to C:/Games and currently the EasyTutu is working and is already past the bgate2.mpi mess up.

Thanks for the help too, William. Lets see if this continues to work.
It's still on the fence.  I'd like to read it as the OP followed the instructions I posted and everything worked fine without needing the bgate2.mpi file.  However, the OP didn't explicitly state that they didn't need it either.

I too would like to know for sure so that the instructions given when people have problems are accurate and not giving false information.  Obviously downloading the file and putting it into the game directory isn't really going to hurt, but still would rather be accurate than not.

If I remove the bgate2.mpi file from my BG2 install, would that make it think it is the anthology version?  If so, I'm willing to test the EasyTutu installer that way....
My working mods:

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 06:34:22 PM »
If I remove the bgate2.mpi file from my BG2 install, would that make it think it is the anthology version?  If so, I'm willing to test the EasyTutu installer that way....

I don't attempt to explicitly identify specific distributions.  I just enforce minimum requirements, with a few bits of extra coding thrown in to deal with known, easy issues (like this one).

No need to remove the file - just rename it for long enough to run a test install.  Make sure you have the latest release.

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 07:14:57 PM »
Wow!  The latest EasyTutu installer is smart in regards to the bgate2.mpi issue.

I renamed bgate2.mpi to bgate2_BAK.mpi then ran the newest installer (redownloaded and deleted my previous just to be sure). While it was in the process of making the install, it said that it had copied bgate2.mpi.  I double checked my BG2 source folder and there right beside my bgate2_BAK.mpi was a freshly placed bgate2.mpi.  So the new Easytutu installer looks for that file and if it is missing places a copy there.

Everything installed as it should have.

Only thing I can think of is that maybe there should be a notice tho for the occasional combination of anthology set & old OSes (Windows 98/ME etc) since it is recommended that they stick with the older installer due to possible .NET framework compatibility issues.
My working mods:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: