Author Topic: Albert & Rufie problems on BGT  (Read 12686 times)

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
    • Infinity Engine Modding
Albert & Rufie problems on BGT
« on: April 07, 2012, 09:40:30 PM »
v. 13 UB  this quest is a bit messed up.  part due to BG2 engine and part due to changes that BGT made vs what was existing in BG

First let me state that the vanilla BG does not have the broken reward and gives misc35.itm (a horn coral gem)
The BG Fixpack addresses this in ToTSC games by giving the misc35.itm as a reward.

UB gives misc38.itm (a black opal)

BGT follows Dudley and gives misc86.itm (a bandit scalp)

In a BGT game with UB the player receives both misc86.itm and misc38.itm

I think the coding needs to be adjusted in this manner.  assuming UB wants to continue using misc38.itm

Code: [Select]
//replace action put in by BG Fixpack or pre-existing in vanilla game. if not present does noting
REPLACE_TRANS_ACTION %tutu_var%ALBERT
BEGIN 7 END
BEGIN 0 END
~GiveItemCreate("%tutu_var%MISC35",LastTalkedToBy,0,0,0)~ ~~

//replace action put in by BGT & Dudley should it have been installed on regular BG
BEGIN 7 END
BEGIN 0 END
~GiveItemCreate("%tutu_var%MISC86",LastTalkedToBy,0,0,0)~ ~~

//now in all cases put in what UB wants to have as reward
ADD_TRANS_ACTION %tutu_var%ALBERT
BEGIN 7 END
BEGIN 0 END
~GiveItemCreate("%tutu_var%MISC38",LastTalkedToBy,0,0,0)~

The other issue is in how the game engine works I suppose.  I never noticed this in BG.  But rufie in BGT is hostile and then turns neutral due to the chew toy.  ok, that's plausible tho the party could possibly kill rufie while having the chew toy if the change in EA doesn't happen fast enough.  Suggest since rufie is a unique creature that he spawns in as neutral rather than enemy.  There is a block to turn him hostile if party does not have the chew toy, so it makes sense.  Also, after the player turns in the quest and the chew toy gets taken rufie turns hostile again and can be killed before being whisked away by albert's portal.  I'm not even sure how rufie is to disappear but he always does.  his script has no destroy self, nothing about albert seems to indicate that he destroys rufie.

at any rate the issue is that rufie should be neutral at these times:
until he decides party has or does not have the chew toy
while party has toy
after the party has turned in quest
My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altherin.webs.com

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
Re: Albert & Rufie problems on BGT
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:37:47 PM »
I agree completely with plainab.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:42:01 PM »
Rufie's DestroySelf() is triggered by rufcut01.bcs, a cutscene triggered in turn by albert.dlg.

If you ask me, UB should restore the reward from BG1V, namely misc35 (horn coral). Dunno why it chose a black opal instead, perhaps because it wasn't aware of what BG1V did. For that matter, I don't know why TotSC removed it - perhaps because it wasn't needed with the party already receiving 1000xp. A 125gp gem (horn coral) extra reward makes a bit more sense than a 300gp gem (black opal) but both make more sense than a bandit scalp. No idea what the rationale for that was... I don't even see it documented anywhere in Dudleyfix's bcs/dlg changes.

It makes sense that Rufie should spawn as neutral since as you say, there is scripting to turn him enemy. I've added this to the creature module in the fixpack (as there was already a block in my edit for his class as "mage"):

COPY_EXISTING rufie.cre override //Rufie
  WRITE_BYTE 0x270 0x80 //Reaction (neutral, was enemy)
  WRITE_BYTE 0x273 145 //Class (wolf_dire, was mage)
BUT_ONLY

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 01:26:13 AM »
sorry it came from baldurdash instead of dudley.
Download Albert Giving No Reward For Rufie Fix    Albert Giving No Reward For Rufie Fix corrects the puzzling omission of Albert saying that he is giving the player "... another of his chew toys..." (Rufie's) when leaving, but giving nothing. He now provides an appropriate "chew toy," perhaps retrieved from someone in the area. :^)
My working mods:

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 10:28:19 PM »
Well.. I guess there is some rationale then. Still, a big dog (one with a dire wolf animation no less) would devour a scalp in a few seconds. Seen it happen frequently (not a human scalp heh but similar). A horn coral is somewhat more believable as a chew toy, coral being somewhat like antler or indeed, horn. Black opal makes no sense at all. Have to wonder why they omitted this in TotSC now, since it does seem to create a buggish situation. Perhaps there were different development forks or something.

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 10:43:23 PM »
actually remember that issue I had reported with my Windows XP?   The one where after installing ToTSC and patches that I had several files in my override folder that caused some oddities.  Oddities like, FAI area not having the hidden container, albert giving the reward, etc...  I had wondered if my install had actually done something right by merging the override folder data with the installation of ToTSC and the patches, but it was pointed out that there were some ToTSC related files that were correct in the bifs but not in those override files.

I'm almost tempted to question that again.  Doesn't make sense to me that they'd wipe the override folder clean before applying ToTSC and/or patches.   It would be like every mod you install wiping the override before installing, kinda defeats the purpose.   

Then again, they stopped work on BG and released it.  Got reports of problems and probably made the patches based on the core without anything in the override.  Then they did the same thing with ToTSC continued work on it from the core without the override.  Totally forgetting that they had corrected files in the override, thus breaking things between vanilla and ToTSC
My working mods:

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 11:07:01 PM »
Sounds plausible. From what I understand, the original developer tools were not even as advanced as the ones we currently have, so perhaps could not automatically detect override files vs. biffed ones etc. If true, that's a big "whoops" that BGEE should definitely look at addressing.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 11:55:25 AM »
The double reward will be fixed in the next version. And I tend to make it a horn coral gem (misc35) for all games, because that is what original BG used. Any objections?

New code:
Code: [Select]
//replace action put in by BGT & Baldurdash should it have been installed on regular BG (no bandit scalp)
BEGIN 7 END
BEGIN 0 END
~GiveItemCreate("%tutu_var%MISC86",LastTalkedToBy,0,0,0)~ ~~

//now in all cases put in what UB wants to have as reward, unless it's original BG where the reward is already there
ADD_TRANS_ACTION %tutu_var%ALBERT
BEGIN 7 END
BEGIN 0 END
~GiveItemCreate("%tutu_var%MISC35",LastTalkedToBy,0,0,0)~
UNLESS
~GiveItemCreate("MISC35",LastTalkedToBy,0,0,0)~

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 05:58:17 PM »
Horn coral makes the most sense. Also, I don't know if UB touches this already, but Albert should turn into a cornugon instead of an ogre mage or whatever it is (we fixed this in BGEE I think). He's taking his little "doggie" (probably a hellhound) back home to Baator after all. That'll only work for Tutu/BGT. For TotSC, you can at least use the tanar'ri animation, which could plausibly be a pit fiend. BG1 vanilla lacks that too, but if you palette a gnoll in reddish colors, it looks surprisingly fiendish.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 06:40:49 AM »
Thank you for the feed back, but I'll leave the animation change for a fixpack.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: