Author Topic: Long saving times and turning off auto-save  (Read 4651 times)

Shadowbadger

Long saving times and turning off auto-save
« on: April 05, 2012, 03:29:14 PM »
Hi,

First of all thanks to the tutu creators.  I am playing BG1 for the first time and enjoying the better graphics etc.

I am now in Baldurs Gate city itself.  When I used to save my games it would take maybe 2 seconds of the screen flashing up then I would be back in game.  It has now started to take 30-60 seconds however.  Is this just something which Baldurs Gate does and is there anyway I can speed it up?

What makes this problem worse is that in Baldurs Gate city I am more frequently going between zone which trigger an auto-save.  It is not like outside Baldurs Gate where I would do a whole zone then move.  I have to trot all over the city for various quests.

Is there a way to turn off auto-save?

I have searched to see but all I found was a lot of people asking the OPs why they wanted to turn it off.  Having a good reason to turn it off I found this quite unhelpful :P

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
    • Infinity Engine Modding
Re: Long saving times and turning off auto-save
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 11:56:38 PM »
you can not turn off auto-save unfortunately.

The farther into the game you go the more data is being saved each time.  So an increase in time is to be expected.  However, if you are carrying several types of containers to hold stuff, then the game will take longer to save & reload as it has all those items to deal with. Reducing the # of items you are carrying may reduce the saving time.

I'm playing a BGT game and my save/load times are not yet a minute but they have gotten longer than when I started.  I can only imagine what it would be like when I reach the BG2 portion.
My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altherin.webs.com

Shadowbadger

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 03:14:58 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I also have no containers yet and am still in BG1.  If this keeps increasing then the game will be unplayable.

Shadowbadger

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 04:34:01 PM »
I did a reinstall of BGT with just the degreenifier as an extra.

My Load times (with the same save files) are down to 33 seconds and my save times to 45 seconds.

I dropped all of my items, wandered through a couple of zones then saved, loaded etc.  This made no difference.

I understand that the game will save more data as you progress, I just do not understand this massive jump from a few seconds to minutes.  It did not happen as soon as I went to Baldur's Gate City either, just all of a sudden.  Yes the city is big but surely my just going into the zones and doing one or two quests should not require more save data than absolutely everything else outside the city gates (barring things I will revisit like Candlekeep but including TotSC).

Is the 90 second+ save game something which always happens in BG1 or is it a Tutu thing.  I am not talking about slight increases here, I mean do you get 90 second+ save times with unmodded BG1 Chapter 5.  It is not an outdated machine, especially in the context of Baldur's gate.  Laptop, win xp, Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz T7200, 2GB RAM, 128MB GeForce 8600M GT.

Shadowbadger

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 04:42:45 PM »
Sorry I miss-typed there.

I did an install of EasyTutu not BGT.

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
    • Infinity Engine Modding
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 05:29:49 PM »
do you use the quick save feature with occasional full saves or do you rely only on the auto-saves?

I tend to quick save a lot and make occasional full saves.  I also don't play for long lengths of time (well have the game up and running).  I've been beta testing a particular mod and stop to give reports as well as any other issues from other mods...

It has actually been a while since I had a game that was actively being played in the BG city of any platform variant of the game.  I can't honestly say for sure how long the auto-saves took when I was last there. This particular play through (and I intend to see it through) I'll pay attention to my save/load times.
My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altherin.webs.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: