Author Topic: Offering new component for UB  (Read 43639 times)

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
Re: Offering new component for UB
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2012, 10:03:08 AM »
For this:

\([0-9]+\)

[0-9] means match any digit. + means match it one or more times. What's between \( and \) is recorded as the first match, thus in the replacement string you can use \1 to replicate it. It might seem arcane at first if you're used to DOS wildcards, but it's easy to get used to (though I still regularly have to consult the table in the WeiDU doc).

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2012, 06:25:07 AM »

So unless it's something insane like script bog down from an insane amount of mods, I think this should be working now.

http://sasha-altherin.webs.com/mods/abPrismEmeraldsv3.7z
I am very embarrassed to say, that I don't seem to have this version. At least, I cannot find the version on my computer (I was transferring my files from one to the newer so I have three disc drives where I put files currently).

The link doesn't work for me currently. Would you upload it again, please?

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
    • Infinity Engine Modding
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2012, 07:51:04 AM »
I corrected the link....
I think...

http://sasha-altherin.webs.com/mods/abPrismEmeraldsv3.7z

the above is this
Code: [Select]
[url]http://sasha-altherin.webs.com/mods/abPrismEmeraldsv3.7z[/url]the previous was this
[url="http://sasha-altherin.webs.com/mods/abPrismEmeraldsv3.7z"]http://sasha-altherin.webs.com/mods/abPrismEmeraldsv3.7z[/url]and the modified link is
[url=http://sasha-altherin.webs.com/mods/abPrismEmeraldsv3.7z]http://sasha-altherin.webs.com/mods/abPrismEmeraldsv3.7z[/url]which seems to work, so apparently the url tag doesn't like the ""   

With there being no instructions on how to use the url tags on this site (that I've seen), I've always been confused on how to get it to work right.  and in all cases it has worked when I've tested it in the preview.  apparently I need to submit, reload the page and test it again before walking away from the post.
My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altherin.webs.com

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2012, 08:14:45 AM »
Yes, I have problems with posting links sometimes, too, especially since the syntax is different on this forum to G3 (meaning that, if I want to post announcements, I cannot just copy and paste the same text (and it was like this before the forum update at G3, in case someone wants to comment)).

Thank you for the corrected link, I downloaded it now.

Offline Gay Lord

• Planewalker
« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »
Let me ask something, since it's been years since I've played BG.  I remember that Oublek gets upset if you take Greywolf's reward when you first speak to him, and he will hold back a future reward as punishment.  What happens if you kill Greywolf BEFORE talking to Oublek?  Since Grey will now never show up to claim his pay from Oublek, is it possible to get Grey's pay AND still get the two rewards for completed missions?  If not, would it be possible to include it?  I hardly think whatever few coins you get by impersonating Grey would be game-breaking.  As an extra, if you wanted, you could include a skill check or charm option or something of the like on Oublek where you take Grey's coin yet manage to sweet talk Oublek so that he doesn't withhold future pay from you for lying to him.

Another question I have is why there are two emeralds, since it seems to be causing a tremendous amount of extra writing on your part?  Instead of having two items of one emerald each, why not have a single item called 'pair of emeralds'?  This would give you your unique item, would reduce the coding and scripting and dialogue options you have to deal with (more text = more chance of bugs), and would save room in your inventory.  I mean, all of this... gah !
when the player picks prism's pockets:
prism needs to cover the following possibilities
left gem taken, right gem in hand -- player has left gem
left gem taken, right gem in hand -- player stashed/sold left gem
left gem taken, right gem in hand -- player turned in left gem for bounty
right gem taken, left gem in hand -- player has left gem
right gem taken, left gem in hand -- player stashed/sold left gem
right gem taken, left gem in hand -- player turned in left gem for bounty
left gem taken, right gem taken -- player has both gems
left gem taken, right gem taken -- player stashed/sold both gems
left gem taken, right gem taken -- player turned them in for bounty
and i suppose out of fullness sake he should notice the following tho the statements don't have to be the same.
left gem taken, right gem taken -- player has left gem, stashed/sold right gem
left gem taken, right gem taken -- player has left gem, turned in right gem for bounty
left gem taken, right gem taken -- player has right gem, stashed/sold left gem
left gem taken, right gem taken -- player has right gem, turned in left gem for bounty

That's a heck of a lot of, IMHO, unnecessary work.  If you replace the two items with one item, I would think things would be much easier for you.  But I'm not a coder, so I don't know.

I do think though that there's very little reason for anyone involved in this situation to split up the gems.  Prism wants both gems to finish his work, not one.  When he dies, he drops both gems, not one.  Greywolf will let you leave in exchange for both gems, not one.  Oublek wants both gems returned, not one.  The owner wants both gems returned, not one.  If you decide to sell them, you are going to sell both of them, not one.  So to me, it seems fine to replace the two items with one.  Whip up a simple icon, call it 'two emeralds' or 'pair of emeralds' or "Prism's emeralds' or whatever, and you're done.

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
    • Infinity Engine Modding
« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2012, 01:14:35 PM »
Put it simply:   EXPLOIT FIX

To expand upon that:    The original game engine is limited in how it deals with items.  It takes an entire stack, even if it just wants one or two.  While there aren't that many emeralds floating around in the original version at that stage of the game, there is the issue where players knowingly drop one gem before turning in the quest at Oublek so that they may get the reward twice.

The BG Fixpack prevents the dual reward by putting in missing checks for existing variables, but the player if they attempt the exploit is left with one of the original gems that they then must sell or let rot.

Enter this component:   The main purpose of the component is so that if the player allows Prism to finish the statue, the emeralds will BE IN THE EYES. This gives a finish to the story, the player can choose to leave the gems in the eyes.  If they take them out, they lose the rep point they got for allowing him to finish it.  Everything else was built around the status of the gems at every conceivable point no matter how unlikely.   A nice side effect is that there is no longer an exploit possibility when turning in the emeralds.   NOTE:  Ascension64 originally tried doing just one container for both eyes.  It looked like a crappy pair of blue shaded sunglasses.  Two smaller containers closely fitted along each eye is the most ideal and is what was agreed upon at the time.  Two containers tho means two items.

Nothing was touched in regards to Greywolf, nor is anything planned. If there was a penalty for pretending to be Greywolf, it is still there.

Do you not think it odd that he would drop the gems upon his suicide even tho he claimed to have completed it?  It was an idea put forth and this is my take on the scenario.  Like it or not, your choice.
My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altherin.webs.com

Offline Gay Lord

• Planewalker
« Reply #156 on: May 15, 2012, 08:25:16 PM »
Apologies if I upset.  I do like the mod.

I'll be adding it to my install when I start a new game shortly.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #157 on: July 03, 2014, 07:38:02 AM »
(Component is included in v13.1)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: