Author Topic: Smog in Moscow  (Read 4571 times)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Smog in Moscow
« on: August 08, 2010, 12:13:20 AM »
Sucks. Just saying.

(40C heat and no air conditioner at home, either. I thought about leaving for St.Peterburg for the weekend, but was too late to actually do it. Some weekend. Damn, I never thought I'd *want* to go to work. Sigh).

Offline Eleima

• Planewalker
  • Be warned! Stickler for spelling & continuity =*)
    • My Fanfiction.net
Re: Smog in Moscow
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 03:53:18 AM »
Yeah, I saw a few pictures on the news, and it looks like hell out there!  :(  I would really, really recommend going outside wearing a mask, that air must be totally painful to inhale.
Hang in there, Kulyok and other Muscovites!  Hopefully, it'll blow over soon...
Check out my DeviantArt account<br />as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net[/font]

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:43:38 AM »
(40C heat and no air conditioner at home, either. I thought about leaving for St.Peterburg for the weekend, but was too late to actually do it. Some weekend. Damn, I never thought I'd *want* to go to work. Sigh).

Yeah, I was wondering how you were holding up in the air and the heat. 40 indoors is really brutal. Any public buildings nearby offering some respite?
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 12:16:54 PM »
It's possible to go to cinema or the like, but on the way there and back you'll get a lungful of smog, which isn't so nice(eyes hurt worse than chlorine in swimming pools), so we decided not to risk it.

Metro is pretty bad, too. I haven't tried, myself, as I walk all the time, but others say so. It's better at work: air conditioning is working, so we can rest there. Hopefully it still works on Monday: it started malfunctioning on Friday, and our servers badly depend on it(well, naturally). Wish it luck. :)

And thanks for the encouragement! Your posts help - they do.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 02:18:11 PM »
And I'm sure the masks are a bit of a Pyrrhic exchange--anybody who's ever worn a dust or surgical mask for more than 15 seconds knows that having a bunch of your moist hot exhaled air hanging around your nose and mouth makes you feel a lot hotter.

Life in the big city. Yikes.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 02:55:22 PM »
I was wondering (and worrying) whether you are in that area, Kulyok. I hope everything will be OK and the fires will be under control soon, I guess it takes international forces, and they should all do it. A city like Moscow and now also S. Pertersburg endangered, it's a grotesque situation. Not to talk about the people that already lost their homes, or even their lifes. Horrible.
I wish you well!

Offline GeN1e

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 08:59:54 PM »
It has reached S.-Petersburg yesterday, streets were like fogged. Nasty, but I guess nowhere as freaky as in Central Russia, if what news say is to be believed. And damned heat seems to be returning as well, was well over 30 again. Dunno how I've survived those C'35+ weeks, my comfort bar is 5-10 lower than that of most people in my area.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 12:15:31 AM »
I hope the heat be back to normal by 15th or so, but the forest fires aren't going anywhere, and that's unsettling. I just wish it would rain down, or something.

And, yeah, I believe masks don't help. Respirators could protect you from the smog, maybe, but they are even more uncomfortable than the masks, you're still breathing it in the apartment, unless all windows are sealed/air conditioner has specific filters. (And air conditioner in our room finally *did* stop working. Gah).

Offline Reverendratbastard

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
  • "to keep my metaphysics warm" -T.S.Eliot
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 01:49:49 AM »
 glad you pulled through!

even a year-and-a-half-old dose of reality can be sobering.
the lord of murder shall perish, yadda yadda yadda.

Offline Ishad Nha

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 10:36:35 PM »
Here comes another Northern Summer, hope they got all those peat bogs nice and wet.