Author Topic: Music  (Read 33430 times)

Offline Bri

• Planewalker
Re: Music
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2004, 12:42:43 PM »
Why do I suddenly have this image of Anomen channeling Barry White as well? :)

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2004, 01:19:37 PM »
That would be a bit different from what usually comes out of his mouth. (Though Kismet's rose flirt = Mr. Smooth :) )
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
  • I still like Neighbours
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2004, 05:19:59 PM »
Wow Bons, the songs are beautiful. And you can really sing... Thumbs up!

Now I'm really looking forward to this mod as well.

Offline Ruben

• Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2004, 05:41:41 PM »
Sweet, this Mod is going to be amazing when it done. It sound excellent.

Offline Nesquaam

• MoD (Master of Disaster)
  • Planewalker
  • Per solitudinem ardere
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2004, 02:04:14 PM »
Great music, it will be much different from all the other mods.
Keep up the good work !!! :D
...Smile, Tomorrow Will Be Worse

Offline Quitch

• Perfection
  • Planewalker
  • Making the world a better place for evil
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2004, 07:29:46 AM »
Not too keen on the first clip, 19 always plays the chipmunks (which I assume it shouldn't), while I think 21 is rather impressive.
Past: Ascension
Present: Return to Windspear
Future: Imoen Relationship
"Perfection has no deadline"

-

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2004, 01:46:08 PM »
i am rather surprised how positive all the comments these songs have received are. i might have higher standards than other people who have posted in this thread, but anyway, here are some of my thoughts on these tracks.

sunite temple background music: this sounds indeed pretty much like 'the lady's house' sliced into separate ensemble chord samples and reassembled into a slightly different melody with some additional harp sequencing, although converted to mono and severely lowpass-filtered, making it sound extremely muddy. this is pretty ugly.

the pc talk song: i don't think there are any significant problems in singing or recording, except some of the fading vocals, that sounded a bit clumsy. the guitar riff is really simple, but it does not bother me much, since the focus is in vocals anyway. it sounds almost like there would be more interesting stuff going on further in the track, but sadly it fades out before that.

the surayah/anomen romance song: pretty nice singing. while i think the guitar track sounds ok, i believe it could have used some reverb or stereo spreading. a pretty irritating thing was the 'binds thee with love' voices in the end of the song, which sound _extremely_ awkward, and kill a big portion of this song for me.

general thoughts on the vocal songs: since these are very vocal-focused tracks, this is not a big problem, but the background guitars in both are really repetitive (just one riff that repeats and repeats), and some variation could have been nice. i do not have any opinions about the lyrics themselves, because i generally do not like music with lyrics, and don't really care about the "messages" of these songs.

finally, it's sad that the full tracks were not available.

Offline Alarielle

• Disco Blob
  • Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2004, 02:26:54 PM »
the surayah/anomen romance song: pretty nice singing. while i think the guitar track sounds ok, i believe it could have used some reverb or stereo spreading.

do you really think a bit of reverb would sound good in a BG2 setting?
'Can I swashbuckle through your drawers?' - Grim Squeaker

Alarielle: There's a good kind of dirty?
Andyr: It's the 'cool, kinky' dirty as opposed to the 'take a bath you fucking messy fuck' dirty :)

-

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2004, 02:47:31 PM »
apart from hall-like reverb effects, shorts reverb can in small amounts and some tuning be used to make the sound more natular and stereo.

Offline neriana

• Planewalker
    • Darien NPC for BG2
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2004, 06:03:57 PM »
"Guest", this is one person writing a free mod, and doing a wonderful job at it. I don't think Bons has access to a professional recording studio.
The color of infinity inside an empty glass.

Offline Bri

• Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2004, 08:33:01 PM »
i am rather surprised how positive all the comments these songs have received are. i might have higher standards than other people who have posted in this thread, but anyway, here are some of my thoughts on these tracks.

Or only you have different tastes.  *shrugs*  Just assuming you have higher standards is a bit arrogant when it is a given the music you enjoy will be disliked by a sizeable group of people.

-

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2004, 02:47:16 PM »
i did not exactly expect her to have acces to a professional recording studio. all those things could be done with freeware software.

also, seeing as most other comments in this thread were "this is very good, very beautiful voice" and the like, and i found many what i consider flaws, i in fact do think i have higher standards, and therefore pointed out some improvement suggestions, although i am not exactly sure whether these are works in progress or not.

Offline Alarielle

• Disco Blob
  • Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2004, 02:50:16 PM »
that just makes you arrogant, not right.  Just because people like different things doesn't mean they have different standards.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 03:20:50 PM by Alarielle »
'Can I swashbuckle through your drawers?' - Grim Squeaker

Alarielle: There's a good kind of dirty?
Andyr: It's the 'cool, kinky' dirty as opposed to the 'take a bath you fucking messy fuck' dirty :)

Offline Kismet

• Devil's Minion #5
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Veni; Vidi; Velcro.
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2004, 03:18:13 PM »
It's up to Bons to decide if guest's criticism is valid or not.  And even though negative feedback stings, it generally offers food for thought so most modders appreciate getting it (though I don't know if Bons falls into this category or not.) :)

Constructive criticism generally goes down better when there's a name attached to it, guest.  I'm pretty sure Bons is unlikely to bite your head off if you find something less than stellar about her mod, so no reason not to sign your opinions. 
Cailean - An archer NPC for the insatiably nosy!  Guaranteed more fun than shampooing cats!

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2004, 07:52:06 PM »
As far as criticism goes, I'm aware there are imperfections and limits to all the songs I've recorded for the mod, because it's me. It's a little unnatural to receive only praise OR criticism, and, honestly, I don't think -Guest-'s comments were all that critical. :)

I chose against reverb on the guitar, personally preferring it unmodulated. In some instances, I have used reverb on the vocals, especially with the a capella pieces for the same reason that -Guest- mentioned. I chose to do looping guitar because it took me a lot less time to come up with 20 seconds worth of material compared to expanding to cover 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. All in all, I may very well find some criticism on music, areas, dialogue, or whatever, interesting, but choose against it because of my own preferences, or simple time constraints.
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2004, 09:04:08 PM »
It's far better then anything I could ever do. Keep up the good work.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline Userunfriendly

• Respendent Beta Tester of Madness!
  • Planewalker
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2004, 09:10:55 PM »
can we hear the turnip song, and sleepy boo song???  please????  ;) ;) ;)
Jansens aren't as harmless like everybody supposes!
They got them stumpy legs and puffy potato noses!
And what's with all the turnips?
Why do they eat so much root vegetables, anyway?
Jansens, Jansens,
It must be Jansens!!!
(or it could be griffins)

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2004, 10:04:08 PM »
I'm thinking that's too far down the slippery slope of spoilerage. Next someone will want to hear the Mazzy song, then someone will want to hear the Korgan song, and so on and so forth until there's nothing left but the sound effects for Surayah's zills.

Forgive my cruelty, UU, but no turnip and hamster for you!  :D

Offline Userunfriendly

• Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2004, 03:29:20 AM »
I'm thinking that's too far down the slippery slope of spoilerage. Next someone will want to hear the Mazzy song, then someone will want to hear the Korgan song, and so on and so forth until there's nothing left but the sound effects for Surayah's zills.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  its ok, just mod faster please... ;)
Jansens, Jansens,
It must be Jansens!!!

Offline Nesquaam

• MoD (Master of Disaster)
  • Planewalker
  • Per solitudinem ardere
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2004, 02:54:13 PM »
can we hear the turnip song, and sleepy boo song???  please????  ;) ;) ;)
Yezzz
...Smile, Tomorrow Will Be Worse

Offline Userunfriendly

• Planewalker
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2004, 01:44:22 PM »

urm...does your band do rock???

cause i'd love to hear a version of the best turnip parody i've ever written...vegetarian rhapsody... :D :D :D
Jansens, Jansens,
It must be Jansens!!!

Offline nurgles_herald

• Planewalker
  • Valar dohaeris
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2004, 09:18:16 PM »
Once this mod is released... would you mind if other modders use the soundtrack (or parts of, at least) in their mods?  Of course, with your specific consent and the modders professional attribution of the music to you, but these songs are going to be wasted if they only appear once or twice.  They are far better then the rest of the BG2 soundtrack, and having it appear multiple times would be a big +.  That is, of course, assuming that I got the right idea about multiple mods working together.  Keep up the good work, and say yes to my question (you know you want to...).

OT, but somewhat relevant anyways: When is someone going to oust Black Isle and put together the revamped BG2 with a whole ton of mods smashed together into a (semi-illegal) cd?  I, for one, say its a great idea and would profess that it was my idea and that I forced you into it.  Or is this not necessary and Black Isle has (in its never-ending kindness) decided that fans should control the fate of BG2 and have turned over all copyright stuff to pocketplane  ;) ?
"It makes far better sense to reshape ourselves to fit a finite planet than to attempt to reshape the planet to fit our infinite wants."

"Communism failed as an ascetic morality. Capitalism failed because it destroys morality altogether."
--David Orr

http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC27/Orr.htm

Music man 1984

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2004, 02:30:21 PM »
YEAH!!!!!!!IT dosent really get better than this THIS is easyly the best music ive heard ina long time gotta Agree with Nurgles herald the origoinal bg2 Sound track is just sh*it compared 2 this it dosent even have vocals just boring classical instruments I Think all tracks in the game should have yuor singing =DDD this is just so great. .B.T.W. to all you Haters who are possibly readin my post i say go F*CK Your selves...!!!!!!!!!!!!!this thread isnt ment to flame Bons like that one Loser did in this thread Your most likely just jealuos of her skills why dont you just get a Life and stop Haten under your Screen names in the internet...!! N-E-Ways Bons Great Great MUSIC Hope youre gonna work in sum game singer some day ;))))

Offline Opalescence

• Planewalker
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2004, 09:05:02 PM »
You have a beautiful voice, Bons, and that's all that really counts when it comes to singing.  The rest, reverb on the guitar and whatnot, is really just fluff.

Out of blatant curiosity, are you doing the Voice Acting for Surayah?

Speaking of Voice Acting, have you ever tried accents before?  Some accents I find particularly difficult: French, East Asian, and Canadian are the three highest on my list of "I can't do it" accents.  I hear I'm decent at Indian and British, though  ;D.  I personally like my Aussie accent but everyone says I overdo it.  In any case, was just wondering if you ever had to accent when you VA, assuming you've ever VA'd before...

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2004, 11:19:25 PM »
Thank you for your compliments, Opalescence!

Out of blatant curiosity, are you doing the Voice Acting for Surayah?

Theoretically, yes. One lamentable thing about my singing is I don't sing-act very well. Surayah's speaking voice will be of a lower register than my typical singing, and accented.

In any case, was just wondering if you ever had to accent when you VA, assuming you've ever VA'd before...

I have had to do a few accents from time to time. Straight from the Bad Ideas Barrel, I'm going to attempt my own soundset for Int'l Bruceday. Be very afraid.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: