Author Topic: Baldur's Gate 1 Problem  (Read 6841 times)

Pal

Baldur's Gate 1 Problem
« on: October 03, 2011, 11:48:52 AM »
I cannot tell if this is in the right place on the forum, or even if anyone will be able to help, but I do hope so.

First the setup; I played (and beat) BG1 years ago on a computer running XP, sadly, that comp decided to crash.
Thankfully I was able to rescue my chars, portraits and such to use again.
After installing BG1 and ToSC to this computer, I copy and pasted the char folder to the BG1 directory.
Enter the problem.
I took my character from the first time through the game and exported him, I go to the char folder to import him to BG2 and...wait for it, there's no file by that name in the char directory. I go back into BG1 and check. Yes, he is still there I can play with that char in BG1, but I am unable to take him to BG2 because there is no .chr file to copy and paste into the BG2 folder.
In the odd chance that it matters, I'm using Windows 7.

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
    • Infinity Engine Modding
Re: Baldur's Gate 1 Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »
to get a .chr file you have to export the character first.   Export button should be on the character profile page (where you level up and change party AI scripts)

If you didn't do that back when you last finished the game and you don't have the final save, you'll probably need to play BG1 again and ensure that you export the character.

However, I thought that BG2 was designed to read and export your character from the final save of BG1...  Did you perchance save and transfer to your new install the final save file that is created just prior to beating the game?  If so, try copying that to the save directory of BG2 and see if it'll extract your character for you...
My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
-------------------------------------------
My website: http://sasha-altherin.webs.com

Pal

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
I left out that I just beat the game again last night.
The problem is, all 240+ saves, including the final save, do not show up in the save directory. Nor do any of the characters I've exported since installing the game. They show up inside BG1, but not the folders themselves.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 12:55:06 AM »
It may mean that you're playing BG1 from a different folder, and your character files are out there somewhere, in that folder. Look closely at the link you're using to start the game(BG1, obviously).

Offline Jarno Mikkola

• The Imp.
  • Planewalker
    • website jocuri
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 10:46:28 AM »
In the odd chance that it matters, I'm using Windows 7.
In my opinion this is the cause of your problem, why you ask, well in case you install the BGII to the sad and very much used default game folder, the file read from there in are not the file that the game actually uses in a Win 7 OS, as the directory is protected by mirroring of the files...

To correct this problem, you just need to install the game to anywhere else than the Program Files sub-folders, and then use them normally. And in the case you are not English user, the Windows 7 protects the folder that can be translated as "Program Files"... For example to Germans, it's "Programme" and Spanish it's "Archivos de programa".

The files that the game makes are hidden probably in your user profile... to see them, you first need to go to any folder, click the Organize in which there is "Folder And search options", in which there's the "View" label, click that and there's two options for the Hidden files and folders, take the button one into use and click Apply And then OK.
To get to the folder, you need to go to use user files and the hidden "AppData" folder, from there it's should be pretty easy... the BG1's saves should be in C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\Virtual Storage\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate\saves\
While the BGII's saves could be in C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\Virtual Storage\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\saves\ ...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 11:20:06 AM by Jarno Mikkola »

Pal

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 04:21:17 PM »
I did try searching for the .chr file and nothing came up, even after telling it to show all files.
However I did not know about the AppData folder, I'll try looking there, thanks.

Pal

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »
It wasn't in the exact location you listed, but I did find it. Thank you very much.

Offline Jarno Mikkola

• The Imp.
  • Planewalker
    • website jocuri
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 11:44:49 PM »
Good.
Could you say where it was ?

Pal

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 10:50:56 AM »
It seems the only difference was local instead of roaming.

C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Black Isle\etc.

Offline Jarno Mikkola

• The Imp.
  • Planewalker
    • website jocuri
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 03:31:26 PM »
It seems the only difference was local instead of roaming.
Thanks for that...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: