Author Topic: Problem: Jafir the unkillable Rakshasa  (Read 10783 times)

Offline jiansonz

• Planewalker
Problem: Jafir the unkillable Rakshasa
« on: May 05, 2008, 12:39:21 PM »
I am trying UB for the first time, and it seems very promising so far.  ;)

I have a problem, though. After handling the circus quest, I was given a magic lamp and a hint of a merchant named Jafir, staying at the Crooked Crane. I went there and talked to the merchant. He turned out to be a Rakshasa, and he offered to reveal the magic word for the lamp for 500 gold. I did not have 500 gold at the time, which I told him. Then he thought we were of no use anymore, and attacked us. Naturally, we defended ourselves, but it seems impossible for us to kill him: canĀ“t get him past 'Near Death': http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m156/jiansonz/LauriunkillableJafir.jpg

(BTW, not even CTRL-Y can kill him!)

The bad thing is that I am in a no-reloads game, and I have already wasted far too many +2 bullets in this fight. What do I do?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 01:30:35 PM by jiansonz »

Offline Bearwere

• Planewalker
Re: Problem: Jafir the unkillable Rakshasa
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 01:04:18 PM »
try so step down a bit and let him be...he's supposed to talk when near death

Offline jiansonz

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 01:29:29 PM »
That does not seem to work. He keeps chasing the nearest character.

I finally decided to leave him. Got everybody out but Jan and Jaheira, then had Jan cast an Invisibility 10' radius and we could flee in safety.

Offline RobinHood70

• Planewalker
  • Still trying to find my band of merry men.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 01:15:30 AM »
Sorry for the necro-post, but I just had this happen and this post came up as the first hit in my search.

There is a scripting problem which causes this situation if the main character wasn't the one who approached Jafir initially. If another character spoke with him, the dialogues all appear normal (other than the fact that you have to manually talk to him instead of it being automatic), but the script actually isn't working properly. If you have a saved game from just before you spoke with him, just reload and have your main character stand next to him, which should trigger the intended scripting and allow the subsequent fight to work normally.

If you're already in combat with him, however, just have your main character stand right next to Jafir and the scripting should start. At this point, he'll give you the same near-death speech three different times, but hey, at least he's dealt with!

Note to UB programmers: To fix the scripting, the best method is probably to have Jafir refuse to speak to anybody but the main player. Alternatively, the distance check in the first IF block could be eliminated, which would still allow this behaviour to occur, but would make it a lot less likely.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: