Author Topic: Coran NPC released!  (Read 26716 times)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Coran NPC released!
« on: March 08, 2011, 02:15:56 AM »
It's been a while, but recently I started playing BG series again and I found that I missed Coran's company in BG2 very much. So, I decided to do a one-weekend interpretation for him, with banters, interjections, a friendship path and some PIDs.

It is now available here: http://www.pocketplane.net/oneday

Domi and jastey have graciously approved some crossmod banters with Kivan and Ajantis, and I wrote some crossmod for Xan and Tiax myself. It will be available in one of the next versions of Crossmod Banter Pack, or you can download it from here(right-click to download) right away. Just unpack everything BUT the .tp2 into CrossmodBG2 directory, and then copy-paste the contents of .tp2 to Crossmod's .tp2. Important: you need to know what you're doing. Otherwise, please wait for the next version of Crossmod Banter Pack.

If there are any bugs or typo reports, please, report them here.

VERSION 2 is available with a Russian translation (and a thorough proofreading!)

VERSION 3 should be compatible with your average BG2:EE installation.

VERSION 4 adds banters with Dorn, Hexxat, Neera and Rasaad in SoA and ToB.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: Coran NPC released!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 02:21:10 AM »
And happy Women's Day, everyone! :)

Offline onerous

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 02:58:49 AM »
Huzzah for such awesomeness on International Women's Day! Congrats because it's long overdue. Now if Keto and Nalia TOB material is released my head will explode.

And Dragon Age 2 came out today!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:02:23 AM by onerous »

GlitterPants333

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 07:52:55 PM »
I apologize for littering with a noob question, but I've looked around and searched my brain and I just can't remember!

I was wanting to add a custom portrait for Coran (this one is lovely http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=coran#/d1u3u0y), but ermmmm... Idunnohow!

Help?

Many thanks, I love all of your work Kulyok.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 11:57:18 PM »
I think it's the usual way: you name them CoranL, CoranM and CoranS.bmp and put them into the portraits folder, no?

GlitterPants333

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 05:49:11 PM »
Yes! That worked! I guess I was just over-thinking things and trying to do fancy file names in the override folder. Thank you kindly!  ::)

Black Books

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 01:50:50 PM »
Just wanted to tell you that you did good work with this. Coran's soundset makes all the difference in the world to me "Great peril yields great beauty..." and I appreciate that you erred on the side of brevity for the most part, instead of doing what I think a lot of NPC mods fail at and generally tend to have blocks of text and no real concise approach to their use of language.

It fits more or less seamlessly into BG2, because as you may have noticed, Bioware started using one to two sentence dialogues for most characters, even if they were going to go on for a paragraph. It's a design choice that I think allows the person playing not to be forced to sift through a block of text to find out what's going on (one of the problems with BG1). I'm not an illiterate or anything, it's just that games have more distractions than having a novel in front of you that only has words, there's pretty pictures, blinking lights and quests to do, so any attempt at streamlining the narrative is welcome, and I believe, essential.

By the way do you Coran fans know that the guy who voices him is pretty much relegated to playing indian ethnic stereotypes on television, like Babu from Seinfeld (You know "He's a veddy, veddy bad man") and Raj's dad on Big Bang Theory? I thought it was interesting because he just rips into these, what, six or seven lines? Probably because he's just thankful to be playing a Romantic elf instead of Indian Dad #2. Fantastic job. "Life is adventure or nothing!"

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 11:40:56 PM »
I can't imagine that he voiced Larius in Dragon Age 2 - Legacy, myself. Then again, I was pretty shocked that Jolee Bindo from Kotor was our Sarevok.
And thank you for the kind words!

Offline Daulmakan

• Comfortably numb
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 04:15:20 PM »
By the way do you Coran fans know that the guy who voices him is pretty much relegated to playing indian ethnic stereotypes on television, like Babu from Seinfeld (You know "He's a veddy, veddy bad man") and Raj's dad on Big Bang Theory? I thought it was interesting because he just rips into these, what, six or seven lines? Probably because he's just thankful to be playing a Romantic elf instead of Indian Dad #2. Fantastic job. "Life is adventure or nothing!"
Wow, I'd never have guessed.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Coran NPC v2 released! Now with a Russian translation!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 09:32:10 AM »
Version 2 is available! And we have -

- Russian translation for SoA and ToB
- A thorough typo hunt
- Updated to WeiDU 231
- Minor corrections

Enjoy!

Offline Silent

• Planewalker
Re: Coran NPC v2 released! Now with a Russian translation!
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 03:01:56 AM »
Hi Kulyok

Thank you for the mod and for Russian translation. :)

I noticed that in the archive with mod are folder RE. It got there by accident, or as planned?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 03:18:26 AM »
Yes, indeed, thank you very much for reporting! There's a fixed file on the website now.

Got there by accident, naturally. It wouldn't screw your game or anything, just a few extra harmless files. But anyway, fixed!

For those modders who, like me, prefer NSIS updaters because they automatically choose BG2 directory: attention, NSIS scripts "eat" multilayered folders(like BGII/Coran->RE/Coran), if you're using /r: File /r "C:\Games\BGII\Coran"

Offline Silent

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 02:36:44 AM »
Found a small typo in Russian translation.
At line @272 in file O#CoranJ.tra was English text.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 02:45:15 AM »
Yep, stuck to the Russian line. Thanks! Will either fix it silently, or in the next version.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 09:25:10 AM »
Fixed it silently after all. :) Thanks again for your report!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 03:06:44 AM »
Good news for BG2:EE users: Coran has NO journal entries/item descriptions/new kits/custom portraits, which means he is completely BG2:EE ready. Yay? Yay, I say, and on this fantastic note I'm moving to convert the rest of my mods.

EDIT: Nope, turns out ToB checks for BG2EE are a bit different. Will be updating soon.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: Coran NPC v3 released! Now with a Russian translation!
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 01:29:18 PM »
Released v3 - compatible with BG2EE.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: Coran NPC v4 released! Now with a Russian translation!
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 09:11:07 AM »
Two or three banters for each BG2EE NPC has been added! Enjoy!

Lyila

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »
I've really had a lot of fun with this mod. But I was wondering, is it moot to hope there might at some point be a romance, either a continuation of the one in BG1NPC or just an entirely new one?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 05:09:00 AM »
I don't think there's enough interest for that, alas. :( There could be, though.

Offline SapphireIce101

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 08:22:30 AM »
Well, I'm interested in a Coran romance, and have discussed it with Twani on occasion in various forums.

It always seems to go "CN Coran rules!"

I wouldn't mind seeing a new romance entirely either.

Lyila

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2014, 04:56:25 PM »
In that case, I suppose I will not completely give up hope. I love your work, so if you ever do it I know I'd love it too!

Offline Sergio1992

• Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 05:52:33 PM »
Kulyok, I think that your mods have a growing fanbase. I don't think that when you release new stuff they go unnoticed.

For example, I saw many people praising Tiax ;), and I'm one of them. Acutally I have even asked you the quest

The same can be said for Coran, although I play only male characters. I don't think writing it would be a bad idea.

oh and by the way, weren't you making a couple of mods for bg2? I can't remember.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 12:34:29 AM »
All my mods(well, written by me) are here at PPG, with the exception of RE/BG1 RE/BG1 NPC components. :)

I am not sure Coran can be a good romance, though - he's like Diablo 3's Lyndon in that respect. He abandons his kids, women, everything, and runs away with Safana besides. I think there're three ways of dealing with this problem:
- repeat the steps all over again, make them try it again, fail, and inevitably have the player be upset about the breakup;
- take the next step, make PC and Coran move past it, and just be good and loyal friends;
- create a happy-go-lucky faithful Coran who'd never ever do anything the real Coran would do. In other words, make it like Edwin in ToB, all talking about worshipping PC, calling her "my deva" and being good. That's... well, OOC.

You see my dilemma, I hope. :)

Lyila

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 09:29:44 AM »
I can easily understand that, actually. But I really like Domi's romance where she changed Coran to CN...and I didn't think it was OOC at all. I'd really like seeing something along those lines. Besides, even Coran might be capable of being faithful with the right person. And maybe it's PC, maybe it isn't, but I think she could have a chance. Anyway, I'm just rambling...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: