Author Topic: Savegames gone!!  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Nimmireth

• Planewalker
Savegames gone!!
« on: February 07, 2011, 10:55:19 AM »
Help!!  I successfully installed EasyTutu, without TotSC, and was happily playing for several hours last night, but when I came back to play it this morning, all my savegame files are gone!  I've started up the game the exact same way I did last night, and no savegame files!  I've looked in my Tutu folders, my BG1 folders, and my BG2 folders, and can't find them anywhere!  I'm sorry, I'm a newbie, and I don't know how to fix things!  I'm running Windows 7, my account is not an admin account (not anymore; it WAS an admin account, but I changed that, and tried to load the game again, and still no savegame files), and the mods I have installed are the EasyTutu degreenifier, the BG1 NPC mod and music mod from Gibberlings 3, the Xan and Coran friendship mods, and Gavin.  I'd only gotten as far as the Friendly Arm Inn. 
Any idea what could have gone wrong???  Please help!! 

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Savegames gone!!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 12:02:08 PM »
I'm sorry, I've no idea how Windows 7 runs, so I don't think I can really help - but did you ever save? (Well, if you didn't, there's still an Autosave file anyway). I'd recommend this - go to your file you run when you run EasyTutu(it's probably a BGMain.exe file), and check which directory it is in. Then go to this directory and check - there's no way an autosave file shouldn't be there.

Anyway, you haven't gotten very far, so it's very easy to start a new game. Just don't panic. :)

Offline Nimmireth

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 01:09:05 PM »
Well I know I can start a new game.  But I don't want to start over, play for any length of time, and then quit and come back to find my files gone again.  >:(  It's weird, I did quit at one point last night, and then I went back into the game and my savegame files were still there.  The only thing I didn't do was remove the disc.  So it didn't occur to me that there could be anything wrong.  Anyway, I've checked all the folders related to BG and there are no savegames, not even an autosave.  THere's no autosave when I open the game, either.  No savegames at all.  I guess I'll have to start over andtry saving and exiting and see if it happens again.  If not, then I'm done with all this.  EasyTutu has proven to be anything but easy for me. 

Edit: OK, I tried to re-start, and now the game crashes anytime I try to save.  So I basically can't play the game.  The game minimizes, and I get the message "Save failed: would you like to quit?" or something to that effect.  This is getting really irritating.  After a lot of hassle even getting the mod installed, I thought it was finally working.  It's turned out to be a lot more trouble than it's worth.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:28:45 PM by Nimmireth »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 01:58:15 PM »
Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable would help, then. Maybe it is a Win7 issue and it can be fixed. I'm sorry, I just never had anything like that with my WinXP games.

Offline Nimmireth

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 04:21:01 PM »
Well, I have no idea why, but it's fixed.  I changed some security settings on my computer last night because it wasn't going to let me edit the baldur.ini file to enable cheats for BG2, and when I shut down my computer last night, the new settings kicked in.  Somehow, my savegame files weren't accessible with the lower security settings that were enabled this morning.  ??  Anyway, I put the settings back to where they were last night, and my savegames are back. 
I'm really sorry for sounding so rude, btw.  I'm not really blaming the people who create these complex mods that I can't figure out.   :P  It's not their fault.  I'm just completely computer illiterate.  I'm trying to play computer games and modify them without having any idea how they actually work or what the mods are doing.  I really need to take some computer classes, because I've run into mod trouble before, not understanding how to make them work.
Anyway, this particular problem seems to be an issue with newer versions of Windows.  I read that someone had a similar sort of problem with Vista.  So I can't explain why, but security settings can mess up your game with Windows 7 (in case anyone else runs into similar issues).
Thanks for the help, Kulyok! (or at least your offer to help!) 

Offline Jarno Mikkola

• The Imp.
  • Planewalker
    • website jocuri
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 06:53:01 AM »
Well, using the trusted 'old games on new operation system' should take care of this whole thing altogether. Here's a link to what I mean...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: