Author Topic: Excellent work!  (Read 6643 times)

Offline Green Knight

• Planewalker
    • Twilightpeaks.net
Excellent work!
« on: April 25, 2010, 01:28:07 AM »
I downloaded this mod for the first time a few weeks ago. I was skeptical; one of the major virtues of the IWD game was the ability to create my own part of adventurers. But of course their endless silence gets a bit tedious at times...but the overall fell and story of the game is still very good.

But after trying it for a while (I'm in the Temple of the Forgotten God right now) I must say I'm quite impressed. The NPC are powerful and useful, without being ridiculous. So they are the type of characters I might bring along myself. A little short in the arcane department perhaps, but I remedied that by making my protagonist a 1/2E F/M. The dialog is also quite good and I really like how their background ties into the game; Nella has been very interesting so far in terms of her ties to Kuldahar. Selven and Teri seems to have the most dialog thus far, with Korin coming along nicely.

Looking forward to the rest of the mod.

Note: Playing it with Item Upgrade, IWD UB, IWD Tweaks (not everything installed), IWD NPC, and finally some of my own tweaks on top.

Offline Green Knight

• Planewalker
    • Twilightpeaks.net
Re: Excellent work!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 01:37:09 AM »
I'm sure double posting is bad form, but I remembered something:

The lack of missile weapon proficiencies was annoying. I can see that there was some role-playing issues here, but still...it makes little sense for Teri to have both small and large swords. So I moved one point from large to bows and gave her a SB. Similar fixes to Nella etc.

And I missed a dwarf. Granted I haven't played the mod through, but it would have been cool if you could make Holvir a Dwarf paladin upon installation (or if you're a 2E purist, a fighter/cleric, but a dwarf paladin would have been great).

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 01:56:40 AM »
Thank you for the kind words.

I like dwarf paladins, myself: the guy from Dungeon Crawl, Inc comic was great. With Holvir, though, it's more difficult, as he is a romance option for female players.

And I'll try to remember missile proficiencies for the next version. :) Thank you again for posting.

Offline Green Knight

• Planewalker
    • Twilightpeaks.net
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 10:26:25 AM »
Finally had time to play some more. Finished the little girl/serpent thingy and returned to find Kuldahar overrun by orogs and Mr. Archdruid dead.

Overall still an excellent impression of the mod. By this stage IWD usually gets a bit boring for me, because there is so little dialogue and so much not-very-challenging combat. IWD NPC helps immensely. I think I'll actually play through the game this time!

The only thing I notice is that some of the dialogues and banters trigger at somewhat odd moments. For example, when first finding the Talonite priests near the pyramid I had Teri all buffed up and sneaking around. She backstabs and kills one of the priests and then hauls ass. Now, the rest of the group is further to the rear...but a new dialogue immediately triggers with them as the focus. A bit odd, that's all. I guess it has to do with game engine limitations.

Favorites so far are Nella (like her Kuldahar connections), Severn (lots of good dialogue) and Korin (quite intriguing background). Holvir is most just annoying. Teri was cute in the beginning, but her 'my parents are professional adventurers' is getting a bit old. She's getting annoying.

But once again, very very good work.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 12:23:59 PM »
Sorry about the uncomfortable moments - unfortunately, yep, the engine doesn't always recognize how close you and your party members are. Teri is supposed to be a little annoying, but I think the parents bit might probably be over by now. Of course, now that it's over, here comes another bit, which has to do with Severn being in the party. :)

Good luck with your game. If you're not bored by the end of it, I recommend trying HoW and TotL expansions, too - after chapter 3 or after chapter 4 or after chapter 5 would work(so that you still get the proper finale from the original game).

Offline Green Knight

• Planewalker
    • Twilightpeaks.net
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 12:52:44 AM »
I will play through the extensions - I played through HOW years ago, but I've neaver actually tried the Luremaster. What stopped me before was always too many mindless battles and too little dialogue. So with IWD NPC it should be fun. If only someone could make a tactics mod too :-)

Question: When would it be best to play the add-ons? After which chapter does it make the most sense?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 01:20:49 AM »
I would recommend trying HoW after chapter 3, because romances "start" in Chapters 4 and 5, and expansions are more about friendship(friendship first, romances later). But it can work after chapter 4 or chapter 5, too, no problem(especially if the party is not high level yet).

Offline Green Knight

• Planewalker
    • Twilightpeaks.net
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 09:16:23 AM »
Just finished the Hand. Think I'll try out the expansions now...looking forward to it.

Offline Tchos

• Planewalker
    • Tchos' Gaming & Modding
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 12:21:27 AM »
Rather than start a new post with a near identical sentiment, I'll just add my praise to this thread.  I especially like the choice of voices for this mod.  It really gives them some lively character.  I particularly like Teri and Severn.

One question about one of Severn's phrases, though:  What does he mean when he says "It's street theatre, through and through!" when I give him a movement command?  Is this an expression of approval or derision at the task he's been given?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 06:33:36 AM »
Thank you! I, too, love the voicework - I was very lucky to get such great actors. As for Severn's phrase(as the words are mine) - he means it's cool. It's messy, chaotic, and great fun. And cold. But cool. :)

Offline Tchos

• Planewalker
    • Tchos' Gaming & Modding
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 12:16:17 PM »
Okay, that clears things up.  Thanks!   8)

Maedasinya

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 10:08:17 PM »
great job on this mod I love it the characters are just so interesting and the relationship between them feels almost real if you catch my meaning. anyway excellent work as the title says.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 12:39:21 AM »
Thank you very much. :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: