Author Topic: Sil (sirine) script patching - where/why?  (Read 4024 times)

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Sil (sirine) script patching - where/why?
« on: October 09, 2010, 03:15:01 PM »
BG1UB patches Sil with a script that makes her talk to the PC twice in 10 sec. Does anyone remember / know why?
This lets her seem very impatient in regard to LoSC.

Code: [Select]
IF
    Heard("Sirine",1)
    Allegiance(Myself,NEUTRAL)
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        Enemy()
END

IF
    NumTimesTalkedTo(0)
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        Dialogue([PC])
        SetGlobalTimer("Sil","GLOBAL",10)
END

IF
    NumTimesTalkedTo(1)
    GlobalTimerExpired("Sil","GLOBAL")
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        Dialogue([PC])
END

IF
    AttackedBy([GOODCUTOFF],DEFAULT)
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        Shout(1)
        Enemy()
END

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
Re: Sil (sirine) script patching - where/why?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 03:37:51 PM »
Not offhand. Is it just an issue with the other mods installed (i.e., does her behavior make sense if just UB is installed)?

If it still doesn't make sense in vanilla, you can take it out if you want; there's not anything I can recall that would be affected by it.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 05:51:03 AM »
As far as I can see, there is a lot of unused dialogue in sil.dlg. Several warnings, and also some kind of peace treaty between the sirenes and the PC. In the unmodded game, though, she gets hostile after the first meeting, so triggering a second dialogue if she is still neutral 10 s later will never happen there.
Plus, the sil.bcs introduces a trigger with Shout(1) if shouted by a sirine, only problem is that no sirene in the vanilla game uses Shout(1) (they all do 99). As far as I can see, UB does not change this.

So, as it is, assigning the sil.bcs is rather useless, and leads to sirine's impatient behaviour if combined with LoSC (the only case where the second talking to actually gets triggered).

Since I don't feel like activating any of the unused dialogue (although that would be a nice expantion, making her far more humane than she appers currently), I think the sil.bcs could be taken out without a loss.

(Link to thread about unused script patching, so I don't have to search for it again: http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,20132.msg281333/topicseen.html#msg281333 )

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 08:16:30 AM »
In the older versions of Sirenes Call (when we were working on bg1npc compatibility under Tutu v4), Sil was patched neutral and did engage in dialog, and even a peaceful resolution, if I remember correctly. It has been a long time, but it might be worth checking again.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 11:21:22 AM »
Basically that's the behaviour Sil has in LoSC now, too, but without using the original (unused) dialogue I was referring to (LoSC introduces new one that is referring to the "old man").
If you mean an attempt of restoring the original dialogue à la BG1UB, I would be happy about a link.

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 12:39:42 PM »
I'll go spelunking and see what I can find - that was a long time ago, before I started copying Lone Rogue and keeping as much archived as possible!

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 02:43:27 PM »
Thank you!

To the script: LoSC uses Heard("sil",1) on the sirenes, so I decided to leave this script in. A bit impatience is not out of place imho. Once I'll collect ten "bug" reports addressing Sil's second dialogue I might reconsider this decision.

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 02:48:06 PM »
You could also just update Sirine's Call, making each of the mods work as you want - repairing and swapping in better checks, etc. is just making the mod work, not changing author stuff.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 03:23:15 PM »
I am updating both mods currently, and the changes are in agreement with the appropriate people or whoever is still there and responsible. At least I hope so.

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 04:07:24 PM »
Sorry - still doing my back-reading and catching up! I thought you had already updated Sirien's Call, but as you are doing both concurrently, it will be great. I am darned glad to see someone do it - I liked playing it, and plan to again!

(should be no problem on the permissions, especially for you - you don't mess with stuff unless you feel comfortable, and I think Ajantis isn't the only paladin inside your brain :) )

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 04:12:43 PM »
Usually I mess with stuff because I feel uncomfortable about the way they are  ;D
But thank you, I understand what you mean. Kind words appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:14:33 PM by jastey »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: