Author Topic: Serious Bug, Cannot find way around it-Help  (Read 11928 times)

Offline DeathKnight1728

• Planewalker
Serious Bug, Cannot find way around it-Help
« on: October 03, 2010, 01:08:33 AM »
I just started playing this mod 3 days ago and i like it alot. The characters are not the best ive seen but they are unique. I like teri and severn. Holvir is cool too. I am playing with all those 3 and my main character is a thief. I just saved the game after getting done with beating the ogre in the cave in the beginning. Right when i tell hrothgar that i want to go on the expedition, the game shows my chars in the snow by a bridge standing there doing nothing. I waited a few minutes and nothing happened. Keep in mind that i installed nothing else with this mod other than the game which came with heart of winter. Kulyok or anyone that would know-I need help. I really like this mod and i just hope i can get it to work.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 01:10:27 AM by DeathKnight1728 »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Serious Bug, Cannot find way around it-Help
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 03:27:43 AM »
Hello,

I am not sure what's happening, because I never seen it on anyone else's computer, but I could recommend this: check that all your video files are on your hard drive; if necessary, copy all of the data/ and cd2/data cd3/data to your IWD directory by hand, or choose the option "disable movies"(if it exists). Also, if you're using a clean backup ( http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=17555 ) you could try it on vanilla game(no mods at all), and then re-install the mod. Full reinstallation might help, too.

Offline DeathKnight1728

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 03:29:12 PM »
I did use a full installation on the game. I'm not sure i know what to do. I'll try to disable the movies but do you mean the ingame movies where my characters are moving and stuff, or the actual movies with the narrator?

Offline DeathKnight1728

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 06:25:52 PM »
Kulyok. I just went through my files on the harddrive. I have a total of 105 files on my game folder movie. What should i do next? Sorry if this is a dumb question, i am not best with this kind of stuff. Edit: I just got into a war with my cd drive. I had to pry out a cd with a paperclip. It hasnt been loading very well and now as of 5 minutes ago, it wont load any cds. I am going to buy a new cd drive tomorrow as i dislike the trayless one that i have. Could this be a reason for the problem? The movie not loading because the cd drive is screwed up. I hope it is, i dont feel like dealing with anymore of this computer stuff, gets me annoyed really easily.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:24:55 PM by DeathKnight1728 »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 01:34:14 AM »
I hope so. Myself, I use the full installation and a virtual drive, so I'm not used to CD scratches - maybe trying a virtual drive would help. I'm sorry if I'm not of any more help in the matter. And as for movies, yes, I mean movies with the narrator, because that seems to be your problem.

Offline DeathKnight1728

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 09:50:07 AM »
Ok. How do i use a virtual drive and how does that work?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 12:24:54 PM »
Read about Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% - it's a program that allows you to use one. Basically, you burn your cd to a big file on your hard drive via Alcohol 120%, then run Daemon Tools and "mount" this file instead of a cd. I'm not sure it would help, mind you. Turning movies off should probably work instead.

Offline DeathKnight1728

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 02:07:12 PM »
Kulyok, i just installed a portable dvd drive to my computer. It turns out it is just like you said with the movies. Ive looked all over in the game and on the configuration to disable them but i cannot find anything. Sorry to sound dumb, can you explain where the toggle is to turn off the movies? I think this will solve it.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 12:23:57 AM »
I don't have the access to the game from work, but try pasting
Disable Movies=1
under Program Options section of icewind.ini file(opens via Notepad). If that doesn't help, paste
Disable Movies=1
under Game Options section of the said file.

Offline DeathKnight1728

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 06:57:03 PM »
I tried both but it wont let me edit or save the file. It states make sure the file name and path are correct. I even tried compatability mode. Any idea how to circumvent that?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
I'm not sure I understand how that's possible. Are you sure you tried editing icewind.ini file?
1) Make sure IWD isn't running.
2) Open IWD directory.
3) Find icewind.ini file.
4) Open it via Notepad.
5) Insert Disable Movies=1 under Program Options and Game Options.
6) Save and exit.

Offline DeathKnight1728

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 07:27:03 AM »
I tried opening it as you said. It keeps on stating cannot create the file: and then it lists the file name. It also says Please make sure the path and file name are correct. I dont know why this is doing this, but something with this file is not allowing me to edit it or do anything. I tried changing permissions with it under properties but that did no good. Is there any tweak downloads or mods that can help with this because the computer isnt allowing me to edit that stuff?

Offline DeathKnight1728

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 07:48:13 AM »
Kulyok, i just uninstalled the mod to see what would happen. The game itself will not let me progress beyond that point. It does the same thing as it did with the mod installed. My guy simply stands there in the snow while nothing happens and a villager is in the distance. So i guess it isnt the mod. Is there any other ways to disable movies?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 08:36:28 AM »
Yes, I was aware that the mod does not do anything to crush your game. I think there is only one way to disable movies, though - the one I wrote about.

Maybe you have Vista or Windows 7? These systems have various admin permissions - I recommend Googling about these. Me, I usually open IWD directory via Total Commander, sellect icewind.ini and press F4(Edit) - it cannot "not find" the file, because the file is there right in front of me. You need not create the file - you need to find it via "My computer"(for example) and double-click on it. Again, if it's admin permissions for Vista/Windows 7, you need to search for these.

Offline DeathKnight1728

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 09:57:45 AM »
Kulyok, I just took another stab at getting it to work. This time it came up with a screen that says: Assertion error-Chmovie. something something. It appears that the movie that is supposed to be played is not working. This seems odd because i play bg1, bg2, planescape torment and icewind dale 2 and all of them the movies work fine with vista. I have installed the full game. Is there any way to mess with the chapter movie files at all cause i would really like to play this game. If anyone else knows anything about this please feel free to let me know.

Oh, and happy halloween  8)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 10:10:33 AM »
Like I said, your problem with IWD is likely a bad movie file - a scratched disc. Since any BG2 disabling movie commands are not working, perhaps in the long run the best solution would be buying/downloading IWD anew.

Offline DeathKnight1728

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 01:29:53 PM »
Ok, Kulyok. I uninstalled the whole program. I then installed the original game. I loaded my save game and the movie ran and the game ran fine. I then installed heart of winter and right before it installed it said something like unable to rename the override. I then tried to run the game and the movie wouldnt run as usual. I think something is glitched in the expansion pack because the game ran fine in the original. The expansion pack is definitely messed up and i am running out of ideas. I dont know why the overide would be affected but this is turning into a really big hassle. Kulyok do you think that there is anything to do with the current scenario. Otherwise do you know if it would make any difference if i downloaded the game from gog.com?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 02:12:39 PM by DeathKnight1728 »

Offline DeathKnight1728

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 03:05:08 PM »
Excellent news!!! I managed to uninstall the whole folder and then reinstall the whole game and after that the game has started to work with the mod and everything else-movies included. There is just one little thing that i need to change and i can start with my previous save game. For some reason the thieve's sneak attack ability wont register when i attack from behind. It only states backstab on the character screen which it shouldnt. I have gone in configuration mode but diasabiling it and enabling it has no effect. Should i reinstall heart of winter?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 03:50:20 PM »
Good news. :) I am glad stuff is working for you. I'd leave it as it is without any reinstalls; if you need advice with sneak attack, I'd advise asking at gaming forums such as sorcerers.net - I'm afraid I'm no expert here.

LPC

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 05:14:52 AM »
Hi,
I'm not really sure if this has anything to do with the Npc-Project, but neither do I know where to ask else:
I'm playing Heart of Winter and the game freezes after I hand over the mirror to Wylfdene. I think a cutscene is supposed to start at this point, but the dialogue window doesn't close and nothing happens. At first I thought it was the bug described by you in the FAQ, but after searching the mod files it doesn't seem like one of the Npcs should make an interjection there, so I've no idea what's causing the bug.
I hope you can help me!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 12:31:37 AM »
Hmm. Try this: kill all your party members(via activating the console and using CTRL-Y combo, if nothing else) and try the cutscene again. If it still is not working, then it's the game itself and not the IWD NPC mod. If it is working, try killing party members one by one. The one "freezing" the game is the offender, in which case I should know.

Also, if you're playing IWD-in-BG2, please tell me that, as well.

LPC

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 05:05:29 AM »
Many thanks, it worked like a charm. Judging by your method, Teri seems to have been the culprit.
Greetings!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 05:14:45 AM »
Okay, this is important news, thank you. I'll test it and hopefully will update the version soon. Thank you again!

LPC

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 03:10:41 PM »
Well, I think I am to thank you, but it's nice if I could be of assistance anyway.  :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: