Author Topic: Mage/thief Teri can't cast spells  (Read 8035 times)

Offline Tchos

• Planewalker
    • Tchos' Gaming & Modding
Mage/thief Teri can't cast spells
« on: August 30, 2010, 08:17:56 PM »
Hi there.  I started playing IWD yesterday, and I installed this IWD NPCs because I wanted the kind of party members with personality like in BG.  All works fine there, so thank you for providing these, with all their banter and background stories.

However I may be doing something wrong, or perhaps my problem is something to do with IWD in general.  I used the alternate Teri specced as a multiclassed thief/mage, but it's not letting me cast spells with her.  I've tried in and out of battle, using sleep, magic missile, and identify (resting after each change, of course), and none of them work, while the other mages and such can cast spells fine.  Even when she reached level 2, she couldn't cast spells.

So is this proper behaviour for IWD, or is something wrong?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Mage/thief Teri can't cast spells
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 12:16:10 AM »
Hello, and welcome to PPG,

Thank you for the error report - I've got to check this at home, I think(this evening, which means in ten hours or so). For the time being, I can recommend these: try importing a "new" Teri(and use the console to level her up), or try "fighter-mage-thief" Teri.

Offline Tchos

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 07:58:13 AM »
Thank you.  I'm not in a rush -- I can wait to see what you find out.  I've never used the console in these games yet...I think I'd have to enable cheats?  Then I'd have to find a list of commands to level characters up.  Nah, I can wait, unless it's a part of the diagnostic you need.  :)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 09:35:59 AM »
Okay, I checked the mod on my end, and her character file works, so thankfully it's not a corrupt file. Now, I think these issues may have occurred:
- check that Teri is not wearing any armor(leather armor and such), as mages cannot cast spells in armor;
- check that Teri has a spell memorized(which you probably have). Right away, she comes with a scribed and memorized Magic Missile(and wears no armor), so a freshly imported Teri(thief/mage) probably should work.
I'd also check that she is not silenced and cursed, but that's probably a moot point - after all, you tried resting.

And, yep, if everything fails, I'd recommend re-importing or trying something like fighter/mage/thief combo - but I hope it doesn't need to come to that. Good luck with your game!

Offline Tchos

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:42:27 AM »
Aha!  I think you've hit the nail on the head.  She is wearing leather armour.  So the problem was in fact due to my unfamiliarity with the game rules, and not the mod.  Thanks for figuring it out for me!

And I've just tested it by taking her armour off, and now she can cast.  Thanks again!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 09:49:45 AM by Tchos »

Offline kiwidoc_again

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 11:45:13 PM »
I've had this problem as well. I have used the G3 IWD Tweaks pack to turn on casting in heavy armor. It worked until I got to Dragons Eye. In level 1 her spells worked most of the time, but failed occasionally . I thought this was due to the 10% but the deeper I got into the Eye, the more she failed until when we got to the trolls and spiders of level 2 she couldn't cast at all. In desperation I ported in Bracers AC * using the CLU - she can cast wearing these, and using a buckler ... but any sort of leather at all, and she has zero chance of casting a spell. A bit odd, but since it pulls me back to the real rules I can't complain too much.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 11:57:02 PM »
Welcome to PPG! I'm sorry about the fact. Maybe ask G3 Tweaks folks, as well, maybe they can help with the issue(because I just issue a .cre file)?

Offline kiwidoc_again

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 08:12:20 AM »
I'll do that Kulyok. I forgot to say how bloody marvelous this mod is, and how much fun I am having with all the interactions :D

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: