Author Topic: Scar / FF HQ Quest Issues  (Read 8272 times)

Offline WVN777

• Planewalker
Scar / FF HQ Quest Issues
« on: March 10, 2010, 11:08:02 AM »
Playing Baldur's Gate 1 for the first time, no ToSC, no Tutu, and the only mods are the Bioware Official Patch, Baldurdash Fix Pack, G3's BG1 Tweaks, G3's Mini-Quests, and Pocket Plane’s Unfinished Business version 10. I've encountered several issues that appear to be centered around Scar and the Flaming Fist HQ in South West Baldur's Gate.

1. After learning of the Doppelgangers at the Seven Suns, we reported it to Scar, and he sent us back to clear them out, but the four Merchants would not transform into Doppelgangers. Whether we spoke to Scar in between, and whether we killed them in Merchant form, when we returned to Scar the only dialog option was that we couldn't get them all, for a smaller reward.

2. While at the FF HQ, Fergus would not take our Angel Skin ring. He gave us the quest, we spoke with him again, even left and entered again, and he doesn't take the ring from our inventory, doesn't seem to see that it's there, and we get no reward.   

3. Scar then gave us the Sewer quest. We killed the Ogre Mage (first he ranted, then we killed him, so we did know what he was doing), and returned to Scar with his ring (and the dead body). The only dialog option was that we didn't learn anything. Scar was annoyed, and we got no reward.

After that, talking to Scar triggers random remarks but no conversation. So now I'm stuck in the game, as I can't get Scar to talk to me about the Iron Throne. I suppose we could go tackle the Iron Throne without being asked, but I'm concerned that after all that work, Duke Eltan won't know that we've done it, and either he will kill me or he won't send me to Candlekeep.

Any suggestions ? Thanks !  ~ Bill ~

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:54:41 PM by WVN777 »

Offline WVN777

• Planewalker
Re: Scar / FF HQ Quest Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 11:40:28 PM »
This is a follow-up to my earlier post. I read elsewhere that speaking with Scar in between the quests can throw off Scar's counter, making it impossible to get the right dialog options. I reloaded from an earlier saved game and tested a variety of scenarios. Here's what I've learned. 

1. I was unable to replicate the issue with the Merchants in the Seven Suns failing to transform into Doppelgangers. It didn't matter if we did the Merchants League before the Seven Suns, they always transformed successfully. I still have no idea why they failed to do so previously.

2. I was able to replicate the more important issues, with Scar only giving us the incorrect dialog options, and Fergus not taking the ring. To force this to happen, we had to speak with Scar prior to the Seven Suns, apparently that threw off his counter. After that, when we returned to Scar after the Seven Suns (or the Ogre Mage), we only got the bad dialog options, and Fergus wouldn't take the ring.

We must have stopped at the FF HQ and spoken with Scar at some point while roaming the SW area, before we went to the Seven Suns. The solution seems to be to reload to a time prior to that conversation with Scar and re-play everything from that point forward. I’m still curious why Scar's counter would affect Fergus.

~ Bill ~
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:58:21 PM by WVN777 »

Offline WVN777

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 12:48:56 PM »
One last follow-up to my earlier posts. After some more internet research, I discovered that what I had actually run into here was the Global Variable Bug. Quote: "It was possible in Tales of the Sword Coast to run out of Global Variables. This would cause many problems including the failure of sub-plots and multiple spawns of NPCs."

I was playing BG1 without the TotSC expansion, but because of the added effects of several mods (including Pocket Plane's Unfinished Business), I ran out of Global Variables earlier than ordinarily expected, within BG1 itself.

Because I was playing BG1 without TotSC, I had only applied the Bioware 1.1.4315 patch, which does not address this problem. Apparently it was not fixed until the Bioware TotSC 1.3.5512 patch. If the Global Variable fix had been retrofitted into the BG1 patch, this issue might never have happened !

So the ultimate solution was to install TotSC and apply the 1.3.5512 patch.

I now realize that this information was out there, if I only knew where to look. Once I installed TotSC and applied the patch, I was able to restore to an earlier saved game and played through the Scar / Fergus / Doppelgangers / Duke Eltan scenarios successfully.

At that point, having found there were many things I would like to have done differently in the game, I decided to start over from scratch. I installed all 4 games, patched them (TotSC 1.3.5512 and ToB 26498), did an EasyTutu conversion, and applied some more mods (15 or so) that I had found during my research. I'm glad to report that even with that many mods installed, the Scar quests were completed without any problems, in fact I'm almost finished with TotSC and the Global Variable Bug has NOT reappeared.

I hope that this post will be of benefit to future new players, who (like me) are trying Baldur's Gate for the very first time, and who may be unaware (like me) of the Global Variable Bug and how simple it finally turned out to be to resolve.

~ Bill ~

Kanhef

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 03:33:10 AM »
I encountered a different issue with one of the same quests (playing BGT). I got the sewer quest from Scar, then give him the ring. He asks me to find the body; I fetch that and give it to him. So far, so good. However, the journal entry states that the ring was never found. I think the script needs to be tweaked to recognize that both items were given, but at different times.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 05:21:28 AM »
Kanhef - I don't find any journal entries regarding the ring that would be added by the mod in the BGT-version. Could you quote the entry you are referring to? EDIT: OK; the Tutu version has them. ? No, there are no journal entries about the ring.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 05:29:37 AM by jastey »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: