Author Topic: BiG World Finally installed  (Read 7239 times)

Offline Osvir

• Planewalker
BiG World Finally installed
« on: August 10, 2010, 05:47:57 AM »
Hello! I have to say, thus far, I enjoy and feel that BiG World is awesome. However, I couldn't play -that- far. You see, when you  go up to Jondalar and ask to "spar" with him, Erik began killing my character. Taking 1 hit point damage every time, until my character ultimately died.

Second issue, whenever my character got hit by Erik's arrows he suddenly stopped attacking. As if the data could not process or was overwritten by damage and resetting the course of action to "passive". I could easily fix this by adding a Script to my character but I do enjoy playing manually as well (Pausing, thinking, directing orders throughout my party, unpause). I noticed that this was the cause not only for Erik and Jondalar but for Assassin 1 in the house between Nessa and Phyldia.

Is there a fix for this? Not re-install because I've been doing that for quite a bit and have been really looking forward to play this. I tried running as admin, UAC is turned off as well (I'm on Vista) and I ran, tested it, from both TobEx Loader and from BGMain.

Third issue was, when creating a character I could not see the races, I could click "Race" fine and dandy but at the screen of choosing a race it was blank. There were buttons, blank ones though (and if I clicked them there was description about the race) I can live with that, just saying ^^

These issues are with Baldur's Gate, have not tried Baldur's Gate II yet. If there is no fix I'll simply play with scripts.

Thanks in beforehand and I hope I am not pestering you too much =P
Osvir

P.S Whilst I am still at it, is it possible to quick-script? Like having a hotkey for Script A and a hotkey for Script B to quickly switch between them? (That'd make my gameplay at least similar to my vanilla gameplays)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: BiG World Finally installed
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 06:04:26 AM »
If you're having troubles with a big installation like Big World Project, your best bet would be asking here:
http://www.shsforums.net/forum/193-mega-mod-help/

I never felt the need to install more than about a dozen mods, myself: I think installing too many mods can lead to trouble too easily. But best of luck to you in either case.

Offline Osvir

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 06:37:32 AM »
Oops sorry I should've searched around/googled it first really but I don't know, I've become fond of this site =P

I understand what you mean with the mod installs, but I just couldn't help myself. I began playing Baldur's Gate just as it is, vanilla (with patches and all though) and loved every bit of it. Then I recently read this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/cebua/step_by_step_moddingguide_turn_baldurs_gate_and/

And I agreed, this game should be played as it should 2010 ^^

I chose Tactical first because I wanted a challange but that install failed (took 10 hours of install, and I thought something was extremely wrong, so I checked what the install was doing... it was installing-reinstalling over and over again), so I took the Standard version this time and it seems to work with few issues (appearantly, or else I wouldn't write about it). I am thinking of continuing writing about my findings and errors, but I'll do that at the link provided ^^

Thanks for your help!
Osvir

Offline Ipsy

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 08:51:36 AM »
Mods are awesome, but...I'm rather suspicious of a setup that installs The Darkest Day as part of the "standard" package.

Beware - Tactical is extremely challenging, and filled with overpowered monsters (bugbears in Chateau Irenicus) and overpowered loot ("aura cleansing"). It's also supposed to be somewhat less stable than the regular install.

Offline Osvir

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 09:05:58 AM »
Mods are awesome, but...I'm rather suspicious of a setup that installs The Darkest Day as part of the "standard" package.
Okay, well... maybe that's the cause of the mischief in my install?

Beware - Tactical is extremely challenging, and filled with overpowered monsters (bugbears in Chateau Irenicus) and overpowered loot ("aura cleansing"). It's also supposed to be somewhat less stable than the regular install.
I love it when it's challanging ^^ Just got to save a lot more often =P and I gave up the Tactical installation (I hadn't done it correctly and files were missing and it kept installing and uninstalling so I did a full uninstallation of Baldur's Gate, BiG World and everything with it. Then made a Recommended installation).

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 09:20:30 AM »
P.S Whilst I am still at it, is it possible to quick-script? Like having a hotkey for Script A and a hotkey for Script B to quickly switch between them? (That'd make my gameplay at least similar to my vanilla gameplays)

Yes, you can write and compile your own AI scripts which are triggered by keypresses.

Code: [Select]
IF
   HotKey(A)
  THEN
   RESPONSE #100
  (do some stuff)
  END
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Osvir

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
Yes, you can write and compile your own AI scripts which are triggered by keypresses.
Thank you =D and sorry for posting in the wrong section =/

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 09:24:26 AM »
Not a big deal, it doesn't cost us extra to use the Move Topic button.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Ipsy

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 12:11:54 PM »
Okay, well... maybe that's the cause of the mischief in my install?
TDD is apparently "stable," hence why it's often included in install. But it's filled with overpowered kits, spells, and items, rubbish "quests" and horrible "NPCs" that are completely silent.

Given how ridiculously long the BWS takes to install everything, it's probably a bit late now, but from my experience, it's a lot more fun to play the game a couple times, then install a few mods, IMHO. Not...however many are in the various BWS installs. Quality over quantity and all that, I suppose.

Offline Osvir

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 12:48:05 PM »
Given how ridiculously long the BWS takes to install everything, it's probably a bit late now, but from my experience, it's a lot more fun to play the game a couple times, then install a few mods, IMHO. Not...however many are in the various BWS installs. Quality over quantity and all that, I suppose.

Regarding that, is it possible to have 2 installs of Baldur's Gate and all expansions and sequels (one vanilla, one BWP)? Because I would like to have it for comparison and testing on the fly ^^ also because me and a friend are thinking of playing together. In that case I would uninstall BWP, as you said "Quality over quantity" indeed. But be that as it may, I do enjoy playing and exploring what people have managed to create, enhance and modify within the game itself.

Offline Ipsy

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 01:09:48 PM »
Regarding that, is it possible to have 2 installs of Baldur's Gate and all expansions and sequels (one vanilla, one BWP)?
Multi-Install Tool is your friend.

But be that as it may, I do enjoy playing and exploring what people have managed to create, enhance and modify within the game itself.
In that case, my recommendation would be to ask for mod recommendations, then install what others say are good mods via the BWS. If you ask, I'm sure people will be happy to respond :) Just make sure you say what you're looking for in mods.

Offline Jarno Mikkola

• The Imp.
  • Planewalker
    • website jocuri
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 05:44:25 PM »
Regarding that, is it possible to have 2 installs of Baldur's Gate and all expansions and sequels (one vanilla, one BWP)?
It is easy, you just have to copy the game directory to another folder and then edit the baldur.ini's [Alias] section... and then use the BGMain.exe . But that's all covered in the MMFAQ topic in case you didn't notice...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: