Author Topic: Losing the spirit of BG1 when exporting to Tutu  (Read 6304 times)

Robert

Losing the spirit of BG1 when exporting to Tutu
« on: March 18, 2010, 06:52:38 AM »
Hello there,

While I do love what Tutu has done with the formerly 'few-choices game' Baldur's Gate, it does seem to bring some drawbacks.
I wished to play Baldur's Gate anew, but with the enjoyment of the Infinity Engine. However, in EasyTutu, it appears there are some things that have been lost or removed, which were making the game-play all the more fun in the original game. One of these things were the repeated character selection sounds (e.g. "Xzar: Those the gods want to destroy, they first make mad, MAD, MA-HA-HA-AD!". I'm not sure why these have been lost in the Tutu-version, but enabling these would certainly help to ensure the old BG1-spirit remain.

Also, there's the issue of talking to Firebead Elvenhair repeatedly to gain an easy 300 gold. I'm assuing the base of this issue could be the cause of other problems as well, though I'm not sure. I've seen the subject come up before, but nobody seem to have been able to resolve it. According to some, it has to do with script priorities, where the script monitoring the number of times Firebead has been addressed is of low priority. So what would happen if all scripts were made of equal priority?

I'm not sure if it's just me, but playing Baldur's Gate is sort of a sentimental journey back in time, so losing these original 'Easter eggs' would be a pity.

I hope they can be resolved, if they haven't already!

If any of the original makers of Tutu reads this, I'd like to extend a big Thank you for your excellent work!

Kind regards,
Robert

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Losing the spirit of BG1 when exporting to Tutu
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:06:10 AM »
I understand that repeated char selected sounds were modded out, but they can be modded in fairly easily. I'm not sure if they haven't already been. Try searching the modlist: http://modlist.pocketplane.net

Perhaps someone else knows more? Xzar's rare lines are pretty funny. :)

I've never experienced Firebead glitch, myself - I only talked to him once and then he left. I know that a BG1 fixpack is in the works at gibberlings3.net, and various glitches usually are addressed in next EasyTutu versions(though personally, I'm a bit wary of it - I love choice, so I'd much rather have a "basic package + separate fix/tweak pack"). Maybe it will be addressed, if it haven't already. I am not an attentive player, but I don't recall seeing this glitch in my EasyTutu game.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 05:14:17 AM »
The Firebead thing is not a glitch - it was coded into his dialog by someone very intentionally.  I have no intention of changing it, if that block is still in there.  If this sort of thing bothers you, it does beg the question of why you are force-talking him the dozens of times required in order for the behavior to manifest itself...

The selection sounds issue was probably my own fault - a bad choice when creating a Tutu v4 base on which to start developing.  I don't have any immediate plans to try to amend the omission, but as Kulyok points out, someone else may have already...
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Robert

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 12:11:39 PM »
It would seem I was rather unclear about what glitch I was talking about with Firebead Elvenhair. My apologies for that, Macready.
The glitch with Firebead Elvenhair is that repeated conversation did NOT render the 300 gold any longer. I am well aware this minor Easter egg was originally programmed to happen by the developers of Baldur's Gate, and I kind of enjoyed having a little starting sum (including the kindly placed Star Sapphire on the second floor).

As for the humorous NPC sounds, I've found no mod to re-enable them, but the extraordinary quality of the Tutu more than weighs up for it.

Thank you for the responses, Kulyok and Macready. I appreciate them both.

Kind regards,
Robert

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:12:17 PM »
As for the humorous NPC sounds, I've found no mod to re-enable them, but the extraordinary quality of the Tutu more than weighs up for it.
You can install the "Extended NPC Soundsets" component of the BGT version of DSotSC (yes, the optional components are Tutu-compatible, but not the main mod component, which is not required for the subcomponents).

It is not an exact replication of the BG1 soundclips, since the BG2 engine is different, but it should be close.

As for the Firebead thing, that may have been removed by Baldurdash, which I think Tutu included (certainly it does for text descriptions anyhow).

Dirty Uncle Bertie

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 07:55:51 AM »
Miloch (or anyone else), just to clarify: regular (Easy)Tutu only has one battle cry for Jaheria, but if I install Extended NPC Soundsets, subcomponent a "Additions only" then she'll instead get three battle cries, and nothing will be overwritten (only added to)?

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 11:56:19 PM »
Miloch (or anyone else), just to clarify: regular (Easy)Tutu only has one battle cry for Jaheria, but if I install Extended NPC Soundsets, subcomponent a "Additions only" then she'll instead get three battle cries, and nothing will be overwritten (only added to)?
Correct (well I don't know the exact number, but she'll get the extra BG2 sounds while keeping the BG1 ones).

Balbanes

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 08:08:01 PM »
Yes i m in a deeply search for this issue of the repeated character selection sounds....i m in beregost, and realized that montaron weren´t complaining a lot...but i have a hint...when i was walking in Beregost Montaron said one of his speechs of repeated character selection sound "Leave me be, lest your head leave your neck!"...when he said i ignored, bcoz i didn´t know about this issue, but when i got to this forum, i remebered...so i started uninterruptedly trying him to speak again, clicking SO MANY TIMES...but nevermore =/

I ll keep searching if i find sth i post right away...the speech of this game, is 50% for me  >:(

Hope having notices soon
cya
Balbanes

Balbanes

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 08:26:56 PM »
Sry double posting but i found all the sounds of the 25 npcs in BG1...in it´s readme is said that you can´t play in Windows ( i tried quick time, media player classic, windows media, itunes...whatever) but its said also that in game the sounds works, ok we can´t customize the sounds of the party member...but its sth having all the sounds...right?

hope trying to help
Balbanes

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 12:30:16 AM »
The game sounds are in wavc format. You can play them in Windows if you convert them to .wav. Personally, I use DLCTEP to convert the sounds and to listen to them(to check that every sound is in place), and I use this G3 thread to check which filename says which line:
http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=1327

Balbanes

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 02:34:31 PM »
The game sounds are in wavc format. You can play them in Windows if you convert them to .wav. Personally, I use DLCTEP to convert the sounds and to listen to them(to check that every sound is in place), and I use this G3 thread to check which filename says which line:
http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=1327

Ok thanks for the convert issue, it helps a lot, i listen to the sounds just to imagine in game, now the game is 75% for me xD. I used gamefaqs to know what they talk, its good also...but having a final hope that some fix or mod gonna put it back xD
thx a lot!
Balbanes

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
You can play WAVCs in Near Infinity without converting if you have acm2wav.exe in the folder as well (which I think is delivered standard with it now).

Balbanes

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 09:52:36 AM »
thanks again

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: