Author Topic: Hello im fairly new to this and unsure how to start.  (Read 2039 times)

Offline jabadaba

• Planewalker
Hello im fairly new to this and unsure how to start.
« on: July 20, 2010, 11:59:30 PM »
Are guards and other idle characters throughout the game .cre files or are they npcs? Or are

they just creatures with .dlg script using weidu? Im new at this and have used Near Infinty

and ITEME a little bit like creating objects with shadows and looking at scripts on .cre files. I

heard weidu is the more advanced but difficult compared to its alternatives. When using a

beginner's guide to NPC creating with WeiDU, it says to make a .dlg file vondo. So im assuming

its telling me to right click and make the vondo.dlg file? Also what folder would I do that in, or do

I use WeiDU to make it?

It then says the first line of code should look like "BEGIN J#Vondo. I am unsure on where to

put that line and if I have installed WeiDU correctly. I installed it to my Baldurs Gate directory.

If I am to run it do I just open WeidU, because when I do it gives a list of input options and says

people love mounthly releases? I also read that to start a mod you need to rename WeiDU to

somthing I can't remember. I have read through some examples and source code looking at

scipts in Near Infinty.

Reading the WeiDU documentation I got to the part where it talks about d and DLG

concepts, it says I should have WeiDU.exe in my bg2 directory. Which I do. It says to view

scsarles.d and look at the dialouge of sir sarles I need to open DOS and chage directorys to

BG2. I had to look up doss commands because I have never used them anyways, it then says

type in text after the C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\> weidu SCSARLES.DLG. It tells

me that WeiDU is not recognized as an internal or external command. I am confused. Im not sure

what im doing wrong or if I have installed WeiDU wrong or what any help I would be grateful.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
Re: Hello im fairly new to this and unsure how to start.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 11:17:16 PM »
All characters/creatures in the game are .cre files. If they talk, they all have .dlg (dialogue) files. If you have WeiDU in your game directory (which you do, if you got the command options) then just open a command prompt to your game folder (which apparently you've also figured out) and just type: weidu scsarles.dlg. You'll end up with a scsarles.d file, which is the uncompiled dialogue and is much more human-readable. You should be able to follow the rest of the tutorial in the WeiDU document and other tutorials. As for making your own dialogue file (which you want to be a .d file, uncompiled so you can write it), use any plain text editor, such as Notepad or my favourites EditPad and PSPad.

Offline jabadaba

• Planewalker
Re: Hello im fairly new to this and unsure how to start.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 01:46:21 AM »
thanks i got it to work ill continue the tutorial

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: