Author Topic: It's just not good... at all  (Read 4774 times)

Offline Aina Grey

• Planewalker
It's just not good... at all
« on: May 27, 2010, 08:10:36 AM »
unfortunately this mod doesn't even come close to the excellent Xan mods by the same author

the characters are nothing more than tired and with the exception of Teri (= Imoen-ripoff) extremely unlikeable and utterly uninteresting stereotypes - which is enough NOT to install this mod; to boot your interaction with them is as linear as the game itself. in other words you have no influence on them whatsoever and can't even scold them for the nonsense (!) they're spouting. there is nothing of the insight evinced in the Xan mod (especially the one for BG 1) in this, the tedious story of ID isn't enhanced which would have been needed so desperately

I won't complain about the annoying tendency of banter to pop up in mid fight as this is probably unavoidable

summary: offensive "characters" (=types), no actual choices to make (romances? where?! probably only for paladins  :() = I honestly cannot recommend this and wouldn't play it again
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 08:14:49 AM by Aina Grey »

Offline KIrving

• Planewalker
Re: It's just not good... at all
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 07:11:29 PM »
unfortunately this mod doesn't even come close to the excellent Xan mods by the same author

the characters are nothing more than tired and with the exception of Teri (= Imoen-ripoff) extremely unlikeable and utterly uninteresting stereotypes - which is enough NOT to install this mod; to boot your interaction with them is as linear as the game itself. in other words you have no influence on them whatsoever and can't even scold them for the nonsense (!) they're spouting. there is nothing of the insight evinced in the Xan mod (especially the one for BG 1) in this, the tedious story of ID isn't enhanced which would have been needed so desperately

I won't complain about the annoying tendency of banter to pop up in mid fight as this is probably unavoidable

summary: offensive "characters" (=types), no actual choices to make (romances? where?! probably only for paladins  :() = I honestly cannot recommend this and wouldn't play it again

That is an extremely harsh reaction.  The task of modding IWD or even IWD2 is, from my limited understanding, very difficult.  IMO, Kulyok did an amazing job.  There are a lot of limitations to how talks and banters can happen.  It is important to, thoroughly, read the Readme to make sure that you allow the talks and banters to occur in each area. 

*Spoilers*

There are romances for both female and male pcs and even the possibility of interparty interactions.  There are race restrictions for the romances or perhaps you said something that the npcs in question didn't like.  (They aren't 'hot and heavy' romances, more like enhanced aspects of the friendships.)
Personally I liked the characters very much and enjoyed the way they gave relief from the battlefest and allowed my pc to feel like she wasn't alone at her task.
I grew particularly fond of Nella and really enjoyed her connection with the story.   As to Teri being an Imoen rip-off,... well she's female and a thief, but that's pretty much all the similarity that I saw.
Look at the stars.
Listen to the rain.
Walk backwards.
Talk to a rock.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 11:16:26 PM »
I don't care. "It is a ritual chamber. It does not have an exit!" is among my favorite voice lines.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Daulmakan

• Comfortably numb
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
I don't care. "It is a ritual chamber. It does not have an exit!" is among my favorite voice lines.
Uh, JC, that's from Dungeon Crawl...

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 12:21:19 PM »
Oh yeah. Obviously I'm slipping.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: