Author Topic: Kelsey TOB Spoilers  (Read 11814 times)

Darpaek

Kelsey TOB Spoilers
« on: February 12, 2010, 10:21:09 PM »
I'd never played with Kelsey before (I usually avoid NPC mods), but I'm really digging Kelsey - and I love the ToB stuff with Imoen.

I had a question regarding Kelsey TOB's storyline.  Since I hadn't played it before when it got to the Taragon dialogue, and the player is given the option to tell Kelsey to stay away from Imoen, I chose simply to threaten to kill him, slowly.  From an RP perspective, I would have my rather chosen the "Stay away from Imoen" option with this character - but Kelsey's response ("Im gonna bag her after this is all over, and I won't tell her for now that it was you that kept us apart.") suggested to me that this was a cop-out for the player that didn't want to see the K & I banters. 

I know the FAQ says that you can't keep them apart.  However, for future playthrus, if I had chosen the "Stay away from her" option, would it have defacto ended the K & I romance (until, obviously, the epilogue)?

Frankly, Kelsey's kinda creepy.  After Imoen starts having nightmares, he really comes across as THAT GUY that preys on a woman's insecurities to get into her pants.  And, if you're not willing to stand up to me on Imoen's behalf (especially considering that he wouldn't even stand up for his own mother), then you're not good enough for my little sister.  From an RP perspective, I would have loved my character to tell him to go to hell.  However, from a player perspective, I wanted to see the mod because the banters are great!

So, if anyone wouldn't mind spoiling for me what would have happened, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks! :)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Kelsey TOB Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 04:00:59 AM »
I think that if you exclude Kelsey from the party or kill him, then there won't be a romance epilogue for them. But otherwise, no, I don't see how their romance may be avoided, if you're not romancing Kelsey yourself.

Yours a rare case, though: usually players(female players, especially) hate that little thieving bitch Imoen who got herself a standing-at-attention Kelsey. I would dearly love an option to smash her face and tell *her* to stop preying on Kelsey's insecurities. ;D But then again, players are different.

Darpaek

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 08:31:39 AM »
LOL!

<3 Imoen!  ;D

I'm not so concerned about the epilogues - but thanks for the reply.  I guess I'm asking about the future banters (ie. the nickname banter, etc.)  That would all have still have happened even if I told Kelsey to bug off, right?

Offline Pigeon

• Planewalker
    • hmph
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 05:53:18 PM »
1) why would you have kelsey along if not to make sweet love to him yourself, that is like what he is good for

2)imoen is great

Offline Ankhesenpaaten

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 06:15:54 PM »
To get that great indelible scroll and keep it for yourself. 
Yeah, I killed him in ToB when he dared to threaten ME about MY sister later to turn her away from me.  He was dead meat at that point.  So then I summoned Edwin.  I really don't know how the Epilogue would have turned out.  I wonder if JCompton just left things alone and Immy got her normal Bioware one.   ???

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 12:07:00 AM »
However, for future playthrus, if I had chosen the "Stay away from her" option, would it have defacto ended the K & I romance (until, obviously, the epilogue)?

That's exactly right. It turns off the content, but implicitly, their relationship continues and the epilogues still play. (Which some people also hate.)

Frankly, Kelsey's kinda creepy.  After Imoen starts having nightmares, he really comes across as THAT GUY that preys on a woman's insecurities to get into her pants.

It's still interesting, years later, to see where differences between "author intent" and "player perception" show up. In general, the content I find the weakest or least compelling rarely gets mentioned or criticized, but bits where I felt Kelsey was as genuine as could be are interpreted (by some) as callously manipulative.

I suppose I'm lucky, in a way, to have seen such a range of responses to my work over time. Obviously, response to Kelsey as a whole has been the most polar, but the Kelsey/Imoen content in particular provokes unique responses. The most common response seems to be a sort of grudging, uneasy acceptance. So many people are emotionally invested in some combination of loving Imoen, loving Kelsey, hating Imoen, or hating Kelsey that they're uncomfortable, on one level or another, with seeing them together. It's a lot like looking at a painting that you know is well-executed, but doesn't strike you as particularly appealing.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Ankhesenpaaten

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 12:26:06 AM »
This all shows what an awesome character you made, JCompton!  I adore Kelsey and sometimes hate him.  It depends upon whether I'm romancing him or not!  But I still love him after all these years.  I know you've heard this countless times, but thank you again! 

Offline Demoneq

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 01:15:45 PM »
Sorry for the necro post, but my question isn't big enough for separate thread (I think), and this one seems most fitting. Well, in a way, it also contains spoilers. ;)

Anyway, fairly soon after doing a save, and entering Sendai's Enclave, Kelsey started the conversation, with lots of things that I could tell him. (including having a child on the way) - I have later loaded, and played through Enclave again, but the conversation didn't happen. Is it part of the "main plot" of a romance, and so, will it happen eventually, or just random, and might not happen at all?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 01:42:07 PM »
It happens in ToB every time, but not necessarily in Sendai's Enclave.

And welcome to PPG!

Offline Demoneq

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 03:24:52 AM »
I've taken a look at a FAQ, is it one of those "floating" lovetalks?
If I happen to miss it totally (think I've sort of missed another one, and maybe also that one, will explain it below*), is there some "artificial" way to make them happen? (like playing with the Global variables with CLUA console or Shadow Keeper?)

*Explanation: I like to "collect" the more interesting (or sometimes all) lovetalks, by quick saving often, and making a separate "normal" save just before a lovetalk, etc. So, after some other one happened earlier (I didn't know about "floating" talks yet, then), I loaded a quick save, and attempted to have it again, but it just didn't happen.
It was similiar situation with the one I mentioned in my previous post - it happened almost after I have entered the part of Sendai's Enclave with spiders (What seemed a little odd by itself - are the "floating" lovetalks supposed to happen in dungeons? If not, might be caused by some mod, letting me rest anywhere, that's just a guess, though), then after loading the last save before entering that part (I don't remember, if it was a Quick- or Auto- save), and re-entering it, etc., that talk didn't happen.

(Sorry, if my explanation is not the best/confusing, I blame it for English not being my native language. And hello! :) )
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:30:30 AM by Demoneq »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 03:43:59 AM »
I wouldn't worry: if it's so important(concerns PC's possible plans for the future and even a pregnancy), it's probably impossible to miss. I don't have a copy handy to check the variables right now, but Kelsey's been around for quite a while, so it's likely going to be alright.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 04:22:15 AM »
Found it: actually, it's a regular lovetalk, probably the last-but-one, triggered by time. Since it's LOCALS, I don't think you'll be able to set it on your own. You could use AdvanceRealTime(999999), but I don't recommend it - it will spoil your playthrough, make it more mechanical.

Offline Demoneq

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 05:02:30 AM »
I think I have actually tried that (after making a save, which I have loaded afterwards, so it's not "present" in my current game), and nothing has happened, so I might have possibly loaded the wrong save or so - is there a way to check, if the talk has happened according to the game? (like checking some variable's value, LT's number, etc.?)
I'm considering loading the save just before LT, where Kelsey tries to "sell" the idea of staying with him to the PC, over choosing the Godhood (made soon before entering Sendai's Enclave, on the surface with the entrance and the Drow "woodcutter"), and playing from there again, if something's not working as it should, but would obviously prefer to check it first.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:04:25 AM by Demoneq »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 05:08:20 AM »
It's your choice. The talks happen every forty minutes or so. Sometimes, since computers are new, and technology is old, you may miss the lovetalk(you usually know that by the sound of Kelsey music but no dialogue), though that doesn't happen with newer mods like Xan or BG1 NPC.

As I said, with Kelsey you cannot set a variable, since it's a LOCAL. The previous lovetalk is "I have to confess to you... I have been thinking about the choices you have to make, and what I have to offer instead, and I want you to hear it." There is absolutely no difference where these lovetalks trigger, except dungeons. The Pocket Plane or Amkethran work just as well.

Offline Demoneq

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 05:22:06 AM »
That sort of seals it - I have played through Sendai's enclave, and Watcher's Keep labirynth level (with a visit to Amkethran between those, and doing Marlowe's quest, if I remember it right), and no talk, so I'll load that earlier save.
(oh the horror of looting all those drow in the enclave, and identyfying all the items... )

Thanks for the help. :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: