Author Topic: EXTENTED PC SOUNDSET PROJECT !  (Read 4191 times)

Offline salomonkane

• Planewalker
EXTENTED PC SOUNDSET PROJECT !
« on: January 08, 2010, 02:37:47 PM »
EXTENTED PC SOUNDSET PROJECT

Hello,  :D

After have submitted at differents community (*, **) my desire to add a new sound to the Pc Soundset (CHARNAME) , and after some advices from wise and gentle person, I require your help to understand some of the secret of Infinity Engine and Weidu ;

(*) Speelhold Studio : http://www.shsforums.net/topic/43880-about-soundset/ (English Spoken)
(**) Baldur Gate Legend : http://weiducommando.forumsactifs.com/apprentissage-f9/a-propos-du-pc-soundset-t450.htm (French and English Spoken)

So  :

I )  It is possible to make an EXTENDED PC SOUNDSET for Baldur's Gate CHARNAME ?

II)  I need, for the moment,  just to upgrade one sound more, which value could be the must issue (SELECT_COMMON, SELECT_ACTION, etc)  ?

III) If it is possible : which Check-List/Knowledge/Tools ? I need to begin modding  something ?

An Addtionnal Questions :

-What's differences between sound action script and moral interaction script in the programmatic language
-What's a hardcoded limitation ? And how to conturn this ?

Thank You Everyone For Your Replies and in Advance Thank You for Your HELP ... :)

SalomonKane .

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 03:34:35 AM by salomonkane »

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
Re: EXTENTED PC SOUNDSET PROJECT !
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 04:52:27 PM »
Not sure what all you're asking, but you might take a look at the Extended Soundset component of the DSotSC mod and also the Interparty Banter component there, which makes use of INTERACTION clips (used for interparty banter and sometimes scripted lines, whereas SELECT_ACTIONs fire when you tell someone to do something).

As for tools used, you need a decent text editor (I use EditPad and PSPad), WeiDU and a game editor that handles sound clips well (such as NearInfinity with acm2wav.exe)

Offline salomonkane

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 03:59:07 AM »
 :) Hello ,

Some Precisions :

I'm looking to Build  a PC Soundset Extension for CHARNAME 
(cause for the Player: the PC SoundSet have less sound like NPC: 37 vs 74, and I hope to remove this Injustice !) 

- For an Example: My avatar (a Bard) have a full  Proper Soundset: ASTRO (37 sound effects ) .
- I would add to him one Sound Effect More : The Haer Dalis Whistle (HAERi) .

I ve tried :

1) With Near Infinity : (after have edited my CRE or my Save)

- To input The  Haer Dalis Whistle  addittionnal sound effect  in  the  few emptys sound-sloots inventoried (Action Sound: select_ action 4 ,5 and 7; Rare Selected,   
  Attacs Sound etc ...) 

- To  just copy & past  the effect  in the same  emptys sound-sloots ("" etc ...)

- This issue  : http://forums.chosenofmystra.net/index.php?topic=1512.0  (but it's just for NPC)

2) In the  SOA-PC-SoundSet Folder :

- To change name extension ( CF : http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/files/ids/bg2/sndslot.htm and http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/files/ids/bg2/sndslot.htm )

- Find an addittionnal value (like XXXXXXX=.wav : Selected 7)

- Rename Default Soundset extension with my Proper Extension name ( Result :  3 different Voices in One ;
  Default-SOA, My SoundSet-ASTRO  and  Haer Dallis Whistle , without more sounds effects )

... Nothing Work ... ???

Some Suggestions ?
 Did I Forget to Try Anything  ?
 Where  Begin ?

Thank You !  :D

P.S. :
you might take a look at the Extended Soundset component of the DSotSC mod
 Do You talk about Extended NPC Soundset  in DSotSC mod ? Right ?
 It's could  to help me  eventually to understand how add new sound for PC Sound Set ?
 Or PC SoundSet and NPC SoundSet are very differents ? , and which are the differences ?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:51:50 PM by salomonkane »

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 06:10:07 PM »
If all you're doing is creating PC soundsets (not for NPCs) then check Sam.'s reference in that 2nd post on SHS and you might also want to check out the PC Soundsets project there.

Note that a lot of slots are just not valid for PCs. None of the ATTACK slots are (see here if you want technical details on that); instead, attack sounds depend on weapon type equipped. Also, the COMPLIMENT, INSULT, SPECIAL and RESPONSE_TO_* clips don't apply to PCs, because they don't have entries in interact.2da (BG1 NPCs do; you can also add NPCs to it in theory but I doubt that goes for PCs). Same goes for REACT_TO_DIE_* clips, because PCs don't have entries in death.2da. So that might leave you with a handful of clips PCs wouldn't ordinarily have? In which case, follow those naming conventions Sam listed (also in readme.txt in your game folder) and put your sound clips in the Sounds folder, and you should be ready to go.

Offline salomonkane

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 06:40:35 PM »
Reminder of the technical issues

Hello, :D

I would again like to add some clarification:
It is that the set I installed in the directory of SOA / sound (this is the directory which is the Charac sound bank) everything works to wonder but if I try a manipulation described previously, since NI or from the SOA Sound file I can't add additional sounds .

My ambition and add as many sounds as possible to our avatar for more gameplay.
My interest for this project is essentially based on being able to increase the gameplay but also I am very motivated by a player interaction, non-player character change...

I understand that some entries were not, a priori accessible to Charac at the most to the NPC .
Could I have some details concerning the difficulties encountered and especially know if there is a possible alternative to break this limit of 37 sounds?
I am given to understand that should patch or the exe hacker or even use an emulator (gemrb),
Or can be redesigned engine in a more recent set (dragon age origin)...

Attempted Resolution

I would add that after what I have observed IcewinDDale (in particular the 2), game originates from my customizes  sound kit (changed and enriched for BG by pazzoberserk) :

-This game has more computer input as Baldur ( 43 vs 37 Wav Files) would it possible to adapt from this set a number of sounds or equal to our favorite game?

Of my resolution of problems described above was to add more sounds to my avatar (from a Setup full and clean SOA/TOB  with a total conversion Mod: Classics Adventures),

I was able to observe that, when I add my adapted soundset of Icewind Dale that contains: 37 effect, and that during part I accesses charname sounds customization interface to select the set by default, to return to the screen a strange bug occurs:
I have on the one hand the default game sound since the map charac sprite and I have my Italian soundset sounds from the avatar icon …
- How to explain this bug would it there a vulnerability to exploit?

- Also what is a NPC biography file is it an option of the alter/overwrite one in seen to assume its more complete sound set?

-You're telling me that I can possibly substitute for certain entries available because non-utilisable: additional sounds, what precisely entries?
follow those naming conventions Sam listed (also in readme.txt in your game folder) and put your sound clips in the Sounds folder, and you should be ready to go.
Which accurately, and with what values (I may have tried all possible values nothing is done)?

Attempted Comprehension

Also I don't see how I could exceed this limit by adding others labeled as precisely "something prevents" me firstly to use sounds and other share of rename with disputes of those assigned to default charac prefixes advantage

-Which leads me to the following questions:

That is what prevents me from recognise my sounds?
Where is that it happens?
How does it work?
Why it happens?
When it arrives?

Problematic

Because the current state of things:

I therefore concluded that interactivity in combat is reduced by
 I concluded that the spiritual dimension of our avatar is limited
 I concluded our character sociability is lowered

How to break this limit of 37 sounds?

Perspectives

Also

The addition of special sounds would  it not add other specific action or even, add or create items for this purpose...
For example it would in the case of a Bard or a Roublard object engaged a specific sound to which would be added for more sound specific fate bound to this enchanted item (the case of a flute enchanted invoking vermin, rats by ex.)

I add that if a character enough initially ignored in this game would take another dimension concerning, sounds, music, the presence, it is the Bard (and all these different kits) would benefit to kick off a some soul supplement.

Yet the sound goes with light and Yes more sounds we require (or at least for the most competent of us) to decline special effects in connection with its new "colority sound", let me explain:
-It could provide some of these items innate: the lyre, for example, more graphic effect based songs (cf : the effect of the bard's song in TOEE), the same thing for the  used spells …

Also the interjections question arises: what would a new interjection without a response of a companion or an enemy if it is an insult...
I would add that deprive the Bard of his talent beautiful speaker and his humour by fi his courtesy or its provocations (is it is also true for many other class but remain in there), not allowing greetings or insult is a real shame (c.f: humor in Bard ' s tale).

This leads us to consider:

-Operating skills such as charm, intuition, or intimidation (cf: jade Empire) either in semi-actif of meeting (alignment detection),
-or travel (creatures, detections of item indices...),
-in assets with additional attributes of combat (various dice jet bound to more settings as a test of resistance to the charism),
-or  in the dialogues with more options linked either to the resolution of a quest for an NPC ,
-or for example profession education (cf: PST Switching professions).

It would be possible to avoid firstly: of the confrontations / adjust quests through dialogue. And above all benefit from wisdom, intuition, intimidation, options assigned depending either physical characteristics:  constitution, strength, dexterity ;
or psychological characteristics: intelligence, wisdom , charisma ; is a depth and diversity at the possible choices in the very significant dialogs (like jade empire/PST).

Additional request

A teaching purposes some of you they could we draw these 3 Mind-Map :

(a)   A representative the interconnections between the different functions of the game involved in the PC Sound Set
        (showing particular conflict and the difficulties encountered here)
(b)   The other representing the characteristics I would like to see develop in the case of the Bard and their possible mutual associations.
(c)   The different Mods that I cited below (*), their inter-opérabilités and their potential conflicts

Subsidiary Question:

Is it possible to import / exploit sounds / graphics from other sets from ADD and or RPG and under different ports (including games console)

TOEE
Lionheart
Arcanum
Baldur I
Baldur II
Bard’s tale …

Thank you for everything  :D

Sources (not exhaustive)

Games Review
http://www.fanpop.com/spots/computer-role-playing-games/articles/253/pics/2
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/planescape-torment/screenshots/gameShotId,11917/
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/greyhawkthetempleofee/index.html

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/thebardstale/index.html
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/bgdarkalliance2/index.html
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/baldursgatedarkalliance/index.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssimilargames&tag=similargames;img;1

Infinity Engine Gemrb Emulator
http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showforum=91

Mod Websites
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_soundsets.php
http://forums.chosenofmystra.net/index.php?topic=743.0;prev_next=next#new
http://www.co8.org/forum/

Bioware
http://social.bioware.com/browse_bw_projects.php

(*) Mods :

Technical and Tweaks Mods
Song and Silence
RR Balancing
1 PP

Total and Partial Conversion
Classics Adventures

Rules
Virtue

Kits
Bards Kit in BWP KITLIST

Mega-Modification :
BGT-Weidu

Custom Content :
PC Soundset

Miscellaneous Released Mods
Bard Song Switching
Pick-Pocket Option

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 02:08:34 PM by salomonkane »

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 11:25:27 PM »
I... I am sorry to say, I don't understand completey what you are really, really trying to do. Perhaps it is the language barrier.

If you are talking about *why* there are limited charbase .cre sounds, it is because the game engine is hardcoded to respond to specific soundslots. Even with Asension64's ToB Extender, or an .exe patch by Taimon, and even if you could extend the number of soundslots referenced... there would be nothing in the game files to call them.

For that, we have scripting, and PlaySound(). And the scripted even can call the sound, so if you want your character to cry "It is a vampire!", when he sees a vampire, scripsts can do that, with or without text (DisplayStringHead(), regular .d or .bcs stuff).

If you are talking about adding sounds to animation files, then you need to see Miloch, as he is the crazy person dedicated modder who is tryong to make new animations - if anyone can figure out what it is you want, it is probably him.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 01:05:10 PM »
Keep in mind that all casting sounds and special-ability use sounds are stored in the game somewhere. If you want to add a sound to a special ability, like bardsong, that plays while the ability is active, you would need to find the SPL references for the particular ability. I don't know what they are off the top of my head.  There are 1327 .spl files in my BG2 directory, and one or more of them is going to be bardsong.

I've got ShadowKeeper open at the moment, and I'm scrolling through the Spell Browser. I see that SPIN680 is listed as Harper Deathsong. OK, that sounds kind of bardlike to me. So I'm going to open up Near Infinity, find SPIN680 and check to see what sound plays during its use. I look at offset 0x10 and I see that it has a casting sound of EFF_P15. I admit, it sounds more like someone shakng a sheet of tin than actual song. If I wanted to chang that to something more melodic, I would create a sound clip and use it to replace sound EFF_P15. I'd call the file ##EFF_P15, though I'd rename it during installation. I'm not going to get into OGG decompression, but basically, you'd do this in your tp2 to replace the sound.

COPY_EXISTING ~EFF_P15.wav~ ~override~
COPY ~MyMod/audio/##EFF_P15.wav~ ~override/EFF_P15.wav~

Now you have your own custom sound for casting Harper Deathsong.

And now we're in the part where I'm hypothesizing, because I've never done this myself.

You can add effects to spells, including bardsong. If you wanted an effect to play while the bardsong was active, you would have to modify the offset to include one more. This is spell editing, and I don't know how to do it myself, so I can't tell you how. I can tell you that effect optcode #174 is "Play sound effect" and that you can set the timing mode for "While active". If you can get your effect sound to play wile the spell is active, it might give the result you are looking for. It might make bardsong sound more like bardsong.

Now the example I gave is just one of the many spells related to bardsong. I know there are more, but I don't really have the time to find them all. But at least this gives you a place to start looking.

And it finally sank in that you meant that you want the player to respond to reputation, when you were talking about the effects of morality. I'm not sure this is desirable. If the PC isn't happy with his actions, why is he doing them? In any case, changing that behavior isn't easy. It might not even be possible. It would mean letting the PC behave a certain way when his happiness dropped. While it's conceivable that a PC might not like doing evil deeds if he's good, or being forced to do good deeds when he's evil, the end result of extremely low happiness is that the character leaves the party. The PC can't do that. So no, I don't think you can do anything about it.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 07:03:24 AM »
Yes, you can't add more soundslots that aren't there... even if you could, you'd have to define how they would trigger... in response to what? So if you want more sounds, the best way is to use them in scripts, dialogue or spells, as the others suggested.

And yes, you can import sounds from other games. For most IE games (BG, IWD etc.) you won't even need to convert them. For others, you may need to convert them the right format (22khz 16-bit WAV or WAVC). Graphics are trickier, but can still be ported if you understand the BAM format.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: