Author Topic: Happy reunion!  (Read 5480 times)

Offline miss misery

• Planewalker
  • Wow, a huge world!
Happy reunion!
« on: February 15, 2010, 12:54:24 PM »
How should I start? I wasn't ever sure if my account here is still alive... well, what a surprise!
I don't know if the message board itself is still on, but I might as well write and say hi.

It's been a long time since I first came into Xan mod and took an instant liking to our pessimistic enchanter. I remember how amazed I was, checking out all the three "paths", first in brilliant English version, and then translating it into Polish.

Then I had kinda break from playing games. For the last few years I just couldn't find enough time to sit down at Baldur's, like I used to do in good, old times. And now, due to my winter holiday at the university, I finally made it! Of course I couldn't possibly even try to have a Xan-less party, so I immediately went for it.

Kulyok ( don't remember if I told you this - but if so, then again ) - it's hard to find words to decribe how wonderful job you've done here. Of course I played Polish version this time ;) but it turns out that I still remember English phrases, it's somewhere there in my mind. This is an awfully good piece of writing! It's designed perfectly, and the realization is equally great. Rarely does one come across such a moving, emotionally storyline. I must confess - I played un-bonded path, just because I was so sure that had I chosen the bonded one, I would doubtlessly end up crying my eyes out from his death up to the very end of the game. And this time I decided to go for the more optimistic final, though it still left my eyes wet... a bit ;)

And up to the point - why do I bother to come back here and ramble  ;D - I just thought it'd be nice to do some translation again. I'm no master of literature, but I dare say that -  speaking of writing style -  I didn't hurt Xan much when transferring the content into my language. So if you got any fine mod of yours, or your friends, just let me know. I have some time on my hands again, so why not spend it this way? We're doomed anyway.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Happy reunion!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 01:31:36 PM »
Hey, welcome back! :)

Thank you for the kind words. Glad you enjoy Xan still!

Have you tried Xan BG1 romance from BG1 NPC mod? I wrote the romance, and Domi wrote several beautiful lovetalks for it, too, so you may like it. You'll need EasyTutu/BGT conversion for that, though. (And BG1 NPC is probably being translated into Polish and these guys need help, but BG1 NPC forum at forums.gibberlings3.net is a better place to inquire).

Besides that(in terms of playing), I don't know if you tried these, but I liked these character mods a good deal: Kivan, Romantic Encounters and Angelo from Gibberlings3.net, and IWD2 NPCs mod by Domi(or you could try my IWD NPC, if you like). Basically, pocketplane.net, gibberlings3.net and shsforums.net are three largest sites, and each has something to offer - every NPC has his unique flavor. And quest mods, too! Tales of the Deep Gardens from shsforums.net, for example, is a mod by a Polish author(and a great voice actor at that!). And if you want to translate any of my mods, you're more than welcome, naturally!

If my books are ever translated into Polish, I hope you like those, too. :)

Offline miss misery

• Planewalker
  • Wow, a huge world!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Right, I see. But is the modding business still, more or less, alive? I remember few years ago it was really flourishing, but now I checked some boards I used to visit, and I see a lot of projects abandoned. Is this kind of a global trend?  ;)

I  liked Kivan a lot, and Tsujatha as well. Hah, I remember a little birthday gift I made for my younger sister, she was 14 then and couldn't understand all the dialogues, so I translated just a 5 or 6 Tsujatha lovetalks, dug a little into game's setting and changed his name into the name of the guy she liked at the time. Oh, and I swap Tsu's portrait for the guy's photo, as well. My, she loved it  ;D

I hope your books get the English translation... and than I can take the matter into my own hands  ;D In 4 years I hope to be a regular translator and find a job in some decent publishing house. And then, who knows?

By the way, what about Broken Hourglass?

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 02:01:50 PM »
* jcompton weeps openly.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline miss misery

• Planewalker
  • Wow, a huge world!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 02:15:15 PM »
*hands on a Magic Handkerchief of Sarcasm (+1 charisma)*

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 05:35:57 PM »
No, you misunderstand.

You mentioned TBH.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Ankhesenpaaten

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 06:29:51 PM »
If my books are ever translated into ENGLISH, I hope you like those, too. :)

There, fixed that for myself!   ;D

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 12:24:53 AM »
:)

Modding business is a little quiet right now. I can speak only for myself, but I got Dragon Age recently, so for the next few weeks, or maybe a few months, I'm immersed in that. But I know progress's been made with Gavin and some other NPCs, and various Kit/Item/AI revisions are still going.

And I love the Broken Hourglass, I love Evil Overlords and I really wish all the luck in the world to Jason - hopefully The Broken Hourglass _will_ stand in the light some day. Remember that Anomen's line to Irenicus? "We shall live again in the light and you will not stop us!"

Offline biubidboy

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 06:20:14 AM »
So is the official word on The Broken Hourglass that it is dead (or at least indefinitely postponed)? That really sucks cos I was craving that game

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 08:37:50 AM »
No, it's neither, work continues. It's just that I'd be less weepy if we were done by now.

Offline biubidboy

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 09:52:33 AM »
Oh that's great news! I sent a 'happy new years' email to the address you had on the site and, getting no reply, I assumed the worst. Well, for the record, I'm terribly excited about TBH.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 01:06:22 PM »
An oversight on my part, then. I do try to (eventually) answer those inquiries, but looking at my inbox I see your message and I don't see a reply in my outbox. My apologies.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: