Author Topic: v1.33b20 Issues / Suggestions  (Read 38246 times)

Offline Taimon

• Planewalker
Re: v1.33b20 Issues / Suggestions
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 11:48:41 AM »
easiest way to reproduce the "freezing up" is to open & close several windows of SCS' 10000 line scripts
Or a really large worldmap. Memory usage went up really quick.
So the "leak" is definitely resource dependent.

I really hope it's not some GUI/Swing stuff.
Can someone confirm this under Mac?

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 02:26:31 PM »
Or a really large worldmap. Memory usage went up really quick.
The world map likes to consume lots of memory. It may be all that work with stupid MAPICONS.BAM (I don't think the MOS is much of a hit).

Offline Taimon

• Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 04:18:12 PM »
It may be all that work with stupid MAPICONS.BAM (I don't think the MOS is much of a hit).
Yeah, it certainly is some bam file.

Anyway, I tried to fix it -- see github.

Offline ScuD

• Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 05:40:34 PM »
It looks like working. The memory is being returned to ~50M periodically.
I'll post here if I see any oddities.

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
    • Classic Adventures Homepage
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 10:07:20 PM »
I'm still getting consistent freezes, at least with the several tests I did with item files.  Even if I let NI sit for a while after opening a few windows, the memory used doesn't go back down.
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"
-- <CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

Offline ScuD

• Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 11:24:30 PM »
What are your JVM settings for running NI?

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2009, 07:42:56 AM »
What are your JVM settings for running NI?
See this post.  The only other info I know how to find is:
java version "1.6.0_16"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_16-b01)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.2-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

Are you looking for something else?
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

Offline ScuD

• Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2009, 09:29:26 AM »
Uh, sorry, I meant -Xms, -Xmx, etc settings you use to run the JAR file.
Like java <some params> NearInfinity.jar.
From your data I see your Xmx is set to 64M. I believe it is the default setting which is basically not enough. For example, I use the following settings in my NI.bat:
java -Xms512m -Xmx1536m -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -XX:NewSize=128m -XX:MaxNewSize=128m -jar NearInfinity.jar
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:20:00 AM by ScuD »

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2009, 09:52:42 AM »
Uh, sorry, I meant -Xms, -Xmx, etc settings you use to run the JAR file.
Like java <some params> NearInfinity.jar.
From your data I see your Xmx is set to 64M. I believe it is the default setting which is basically not enough. For example, I use the following settings in my NI.bat:
java -Xms512m -Xmx1536m -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -XX:NewSize=128m -XX:MaxNewSize=128m NearInfinity.jar
When I use any, I use the .BATs that Jarno linked to:
java -Xmx1024M -jar "NearInfinity beta 20.jar"
I'll give your setup a try and see how it goes.

Offline ScuD

• Planewalker
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2009, 10:13:24 AM »
I got it. To eliminate the slowdowns during new memory allocation the most essential parameter from my settings is -Xms512m. It sets the initial size of the heap higher than the default value.
Adding just this one parameter to your current .bat file should help you.
java -Xms512m -Xmx1024M -jar "NearInfinity beta 20.jar"

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2009, 06:00:18 PM »
I got it. To eliminate the slowdowns during new memory allocation the most essential parameter from my settings is -Xms512m. It sets the initial size of the heap higher than the default value.
Adding just this one parameter to your current .bat file should help you.
java -Xms512m -Xmx1024M -jar "NearInfinity beta 20.jar"

Alright, running NI with:
java -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -XX:NewSize=128m -XX:MaxNewSize=128m -jar "NearInfinity beta 20.jar"
took about 350 open/close item files before it froze  ::) (which is well beyond the level required by practical use), but it was still usurping a gig or so of memory.  I guess there's still a memory leak somewhere, but I'll quit complaining since it works fine under all but the most extreme circumstances.   :)  Thanks all for the help!

Offline Taimon

• Planewalker
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2009, 04:01:08 AM »
Are you sure you recompiled/use the fixed version?
Because even with 10 MiB max. heap, now I can open/close as many items as like without NI crashing/freezing on me.

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2009, 07:33:39 PM »
Are you sure you recompiled/use the fixed version?
Because even with 10 MiB max. heap, now I can open/close as many items as like without NI crashing/freezing on me.
What I compiled matches the updated info on the latest commit.  I don't see how I could be losing it during the compile....

Offline ScuD

• Planewalker
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 06:43:51 PM »
Taimon, I've got a thought here. Could you add an option of saving the contents of the Tools menu checks' results? I doubt there's a problem of saving the table contents to the text file.
That would really help in debugging the mod issues.

Offline Taimon

• Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2009, 12:51:38 PM »
Could you add an option of saving the contents of the Tools menu checks' results?
Isn't there already something like this? (At least on some of the searchresult dialoges?)

Offline ScuD

• Planewalker
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2009, 01:34:43 PM »
Only some of them. Can you add a Save button to every result window?
For example, "Find CRE Items Not In Inventory" and "Check Scripts" don't have it.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2009, 09:21:06 PM »
Yeah, I think this was ReferenceHitFrame vs. TextHitFrame.

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2010, 05:52:36 PM »
NWN has a "BioWare Music Unit" file with the (*.wav) extension.  Can an option be added to the Mass Exporter to auto-convert them to .mp3 files?  It can already make the conversion, just not in the Mass Exporter.

Offline WizWom

• Wandering Kernel of Happiness
  • Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2010, 01:07:46 PM »
These refer to NearInfinity v1.33b20 as of 2009-09-03 found on GitHub.

• Add some real support for .PLT files (the solid color selections for the whole body aren't even close to accurate).  It might be worth looking into how WizWom made his BMP<->PLT converters.
  • Add support for exporting .PLT files as .BMP

I wrote it in C; converting to java should be simple
If you aren't happy, it's not my fault.

Offline aVENGER

• Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2010, 02:36:56 AM »
I'm currently using NI 1.33 beta 20 and I noticed a small change in Item Flag names for BG2:ToB. It's not really a big deal but, for some reason, bit 1 at byte 2 is now called "Gold" instead of "Cold Iron".

If possible, I'd suggest reverting this change as Cold Iron is an actual item property in (A)D&D and refers to the material from which the item was crafted. IIRC, you can actually make a creature protected from Cold Iron weapons (or vulnerable only to them) so the flag works as intended in-game.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2010, 01:30:39 PM »
Except that it is gold (or was originally). And you can also make a creature immune to gold weapons (or all but gold weapons).

"Cold iron" no longer exists in NI (PST uses Steel; else Gold). If you can reasonably argue otherwise, it's easy to change back, sure (I can only go with how these flags are used in vanilla when making labels since we don't have the constant names for any of the flags).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:34:18 PM by devSin »

Offline aVENGER

• Planewalker
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2010, 01:46:10 PM »
If you can reasonably argue otherwise, it's easy to change back, sure (I can only go with how these flags are used in vanilla when making labels since we don't have the constant names for any of the flags).

Well, aside from the fact that both DLTCEP and IESDP label this flag as "Cold Iron", I think BG1:TotSC actually used "Protection from Non-Cold Iron weapons" on a Greater Wolfware which is how it's supposed to work per PnP rules. ;)

FWIW, I don't think gold is a valid weapon crafting material in (A)D&D.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2010, 01:51:37 PM »
Well, aside from the fact that both DLTCEP and IESDP label this flag as "Cold Iron", I think BG1:TotSC actually used "Protection from Non-Cold Iron weapons" on a Greater Wolfware which is how it's supposed to work per PnP rules. ;)
Except they're all gold weapons, required against the loup-garou.

FWIW, I don't think gold is a valid weapon crafting material in (A)D&D.
I'm not sure (I know gold is -3 to hit lycanthropes somewhere in 2E, but I think gold susceptibility is a made-up thing for TotSC for some reason?).

Offline aVENGER

• Planewalker
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2010, 02:20:36 PM »
I'm not sure (I know gold is -3 to hit lycanthropes somewhere in 2E, but I think gold susceptibility is a made-up thing for TotSC for some reason?).

Hmm, could be.

IIRC, the entire Cold Iron/Silver vulnerability thing is merely implied in-game. The Monstrous Manual does describe it in more detail though:

Lycanthropes are humans who can transform themselves to resemble normal animals or monsters. The term ``lycanthrope'' is actually a misnomer, coming from the roots lycos (wolf), and anthropos (man). A more correct term is ``therianthrope,'' from therios (animal) and anthropos. However, since werewolves are the most common therianthropes, the term lycanthrope has gained much more popularity, and more common usage.

To further confuse the issue, there are creatures like the wolfwere and jackalwere, animals which can assume human form. These creatures (``antherions'' for lack of a better term) pass on their condition genetically (that is, by having offspring), not by biting and infecting other creatures. Other differences between the two classes of creature include their vulnerabilities: antherions can be struck by cold iron, lycanthropes by silver. Antherions hate lycanthropes, and always attack their counterparts (wolfweres attack werewolves, etc.). Likewise, most lycanthropes feel enmity for antherions, and attack on sight as well.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
Hmm, for 2E, I can see...
True lycanthropes share a vulnerability to silver weapons, possibly because of the metal's relationship with the moon, or the inherent qualities or powers of the metal itself. Extremely rare variants might have no such vulnerability, but instead may have developed a weakness for another precious metal (gold and copper being the most likely), or perhaps for bronze, obsidian, or even wood.

I had to hunt for the loup-garou specifically; it's from Ravenloft (yuck), but I believe at least one of the designers was familiar with the setting because of some of the other monsters and because the vampires in SoA progress according to the same age classifications (fledgling, mature, old, very old, ancient, eminent, patriarch) that I think were only ever detailed there...
Special Defenses (Mountain): Hit only by +1 or gold, regeneration

The problem I had with cold-forged iron is that there was no basis for it in any resource in any IE game ever released that I'm aware of (unless Kondar is a canon cold iron weapon?). In BG, it's used for Balduran's gold sword (and butter knife!) and is specifically called out that you need gold weapons to damage the toughest werewolfs, and in all the other IEs, it's completely meaningless (in BG2, it's clearly set 99% of the time merely to ensure it always bypasses any "Immunity to weapons: Gold" effect). Regardless of the label, however, you should be free to use it as you wish (I don't think there's anything associated with that flag, other than being able to block it with certain values to the Immunity to weapons effect).

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: