Author Topic: The Narcissus Plague  (Read 1891 times)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
The Narcissus Plague
« on: June 10, 2009, 04:13:27 PM »
I have a distressingly large assortment of sci-fi short story magazines, and I've been making a renewed effort to put a dent in it by reading some. Every so often I stumble onto a really good story which also happens to be freely available, and I recommend reading "The Narcissus Plague."
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
Re: The Narcissus Plague
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 04:37:19 PM »
An interesting read. I think the ending is odd but I may have missed something along the way.

Offline Rodman49

• Excellence Incarnate
  • Planewalker
  • Nietzschean
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 07:01:37 AM »
It's an interesting read, the ending makes sense although its what you would expect I guess.  It looks like more of a random short story than the social commentary I was expecting from the title.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
It's pretty explicitly social commentary (saying that the "Me Decade" was not just part of the human condition but was in fact a medical condition.) It's just light-hearted about it.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 09:29:31 AM »
But what's wrong with narcissism? I mean, except for other people talking to you(whether about themselves or whatever) when they shouldn't?