Author Topic: about resting  (Read 3712 times)

pokemon

about resting
« on: May 06, 2009, 07:28:47 PM »
hi
i don't use any alternate class so i'm lacking a mage and a cleric pure class but ok since u no, i guess this is how it is supposed to be played. now i have a problem, i'm in the vale of shadows right now, and it takes me 50 days of rest to get healed up. :o this is just the start of my journey so i wonder if days have any effects and am i gonna spend 1000 days of resting later on. osorry about my english and thank you!

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
    • Infinity Engine Modding
Re: about resting
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:41:28 PM »
hi
i don't use any alternate class so i'm lacking a mage and a cleric pure class but ok since u no, i guess this is how it is supposed to be played. now i have a problem, i'm in the vale of shadows right now, and it takes me 50 days of rest to get healed up. :o this is just the start of my journey so i wonder if days have any effects and am i gonna spend 1000 days of resting later on. osorry about my english and thank you!
Time does not matter within IWD.  Nor does IWDNPC's depend upon any timers.  Everything is scripted by certain events: things like picking up a certain item, talking to certain people.  In some cases I think variables are set by some events and used to trigger banters in other areas.  So sleeping for over 50 days at a time doesn't matter.

However, I have noticed that resting until healed out in the wilds causes you to rest longer than it would in a safer place like an inn.  It might be worth the extra time to walk back to Kuldahar to sleep for less time.

Also, you have a paladin in Holvir.  Make use of his Cure Disease spell.  It doesn't grow in amounts like Lay On Hands, but for the first few levels it's 5hp of healing is better than the Lay On Hands at 2hp and 4hp.

I do have a little mod that's let you rest for just 8 hours via hotkey on the main game screen and then you can cast your own spells.  The game engine won't take the Cure Disease spell into account when calculating how many days you have to sleep to be completely healed. The only drawback or benefit depending upon how you look at it is that monsters will still interrupt your sleep, but you'll be able to rest anywhere when you use the hotkey.  I have improved upon my mod locally... You can get the slightly older and publicly available version either directly from my website or go through PPG's Modlist to get to my website.  Here's the direct link to my main website page just click on the Rest For 8 Hours link found on that page. http://sasha-altherin.webs.com/index.htm

Alternatively you can go to any other screen, use the rest button and choose to 'rest' rather than 'rest until healed' and cast your own healing spells afterward and then repeat until fully healed.  If no monsters interrupt you, you'll heal quicker than just resting until healed. Plus you can always use the XP if you're resting in an area where the monsters are easy to defeat.
My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
-------------------------------------------
My website: http://sasha-altherin.webs.com

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 12:18:43 AM »
Yes, plainab is absolutely right - you have nothing to fear from IWD NPC; you could rest for 100.000 days, and the dialogues will still proceed as normal.

pokemon

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 11:24:29 PM »
thank you for the replies everybody. im current at the dragon's eye and i gotta say, this mod makes icewind dale a much much better game. i played plain icewind dale 1 year ago and fed up once i reached severed hand because it was so boring. i'm kinda lucky because i have never finished the game or get pass severed hand so i get to play this game to the fullest with this fabulous mod. so far every aspect of this mod is nothing short of amazing. all the characters are just like normal people and believable with nothing "too-much". i love how there's no mage and cleric, and include a bard, it just makes the party more like adventurers and less the typical fighter-mage-theif-cleric powergaming party. none of the guys gets out of character. oh and also it's great not having to worry about timers so much. it's worst when ur girlfriend flirts with u when u are smashing a dragon's head in. so far so good but oh yeah, one thing though, all the characters have the same constitution maybe in the future release, change that up a little bit, that's the only thing i think that needs changing. it's abit strange having a party with 5 guys with the same 16 constitution. sorry about this bunch of text.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:24:01 AM »
Yes, I agree - probably should change one or two constitution scores to 17(not sure about 15 or lower, because this way you will need to rest much more often, and Icewind Dale is still a powergaming experience). Thank you for the compliments, and glad you are enjoying Icewind Dale with IWD NPC - I think Icewind Dale is a great game, and it really deserves playing.

P.S. I recommend playing the expansion in the middle of the game(or closer to the end, after chapter 4 or 5), and not after the original campaign, because this way you'll experience the game finale more fully. But it's just me. :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: