Author Topic: Baldur's Gate Sunrise/Sunset movies  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Skrupper

• Planewalker
Baldur's Gate Sunrise/Sunset movies
« on: March 24, 2009, 10:02:16 PM »
Hi Macready.
I have a question for you. One of the things I have noticed about Tutu is that the Sunrise/Sunset movies you get while in the city of Baldur's Gate play the BG2 versions (i.e. Trademeet). Being the detail oriented guy that I am, it's always bugged me a little. So after doing some research and experimentation on the issue, I found and extracted the original BG 1 movies and renamed them to the BG2 counterparts (from BGSunrise and BGSunset to DAYNITE and NITEDAY). Now, just slapping these in the override folder didn't do too much, so I found the bif file where these movies were located (MovHD0.bif) and put the original movies in there. I had to create a completely new file to put the movies in, as apparently the order the mve files are placed in the bif makes a difference (I was getting the camping movie at sunrise). But I managed to create a completely new bif file that plays the appropriate BG 1 based sunrise/sunset movies. Now, this makes everything fine and dandy for me, but I was wondering about the mod potential of this. I'm not all that talented at weidu scripting, so I myself can't think of a way to accomplish of that copying and rebuilding through weidu as part of a tutu install, but I certainly wouldn't mind sharing the file I have created if someone like yourself could put it to use. The only issue that I can think of off hand is that unlike an easytutu install that copies existing resources from a user's already installed (and hopefully legally purchased) copy of BG1, using the file I created would, in fact, be moving around actual assets of the game independent of anything else. While these assets are probably not terribly valuable in and of themselves without the larger game, I still try to be as honest and above-board as I can. So, I was basically wondering what your take on something like that is, and also wondering if you were in any way interested in taking a look at what I have created.

-Skrupper

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
Re: Baldur's Gate Sunrise/Sunset movies
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 05:16:29 AM »
I'm not sure what governs the movie resource that is used in day/night transitions.  Hopefully it's not a hardcoded engine thing.  If it is, it may still be possible to rewrite the EasyTutu chitin.key file such that the DAYNITE and NITEDAY entries point to the BG1 movie resources.

I'll take a look and see what might be done.  Thanks for posting your research into this - it's made for a nice jumping off point.
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 05:21:31 AM »
I can see DAYNITE and NITEDAY as ANSI strings within the game executable, so the movies may in fact be hardcoded.  I'll also experiment with a simple hex patch to see if changing the resource name in the EXE accomplishes anything.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 01:13:41 PM »
I can see DAYNITE and NITEDAY as ANSI strings within the game executable, so the movies may in fact be hardcoded.
They are. (Really, most of the movies except for the fly-through movies are hardcoded.)

I'll also experiment with a simple hex patch to see if changing the resource name in the EXE accomplishes anything.
It should.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 08:21:27 PM »
So it turns out that the Tutu 4 converter didn't create entries for those two resources in the .KEY file.  Sigh.

Anyway, after adding the resources entries and patching the EXE, everything worked as intended.  So good news in the end.

I'll see about getting this incorporated into the next release.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: