Author Topic: [Mac] Can't get ANY mods to install. Any help would be fan-freakin-fabulous.  (Read 3303 times)

Offline A Spoonful of Awesome

• Planewalker
I posted this in another venue on this board, but this looks like a much appropriate place. I'm new to this whole 'modding' business and I've been beating my head against the wall trying to get one of these suckers to work, with no success.

Basically I need someone to walk me through the process as if I were a toddler.

Here's where I'm at:

I have an aluminum  MacBook pro running Leopard 10.5.6 and have BGII installed along with TOB and the latest patch. I played them years ago and loved them more than I love taffy (and I'm a man who enjoys his taffy </Adam West). I've been hearing all this great stuff about all these mods so I decided to give it the 'ol go 'round. I was able to install WeiDu for mac just by clicking the installer.command file but I can't get any mods to work. I'll give the BGII fixpack as an example, but it's the exact same dance with every mod I try. I unrar them in the BGII directory, and when I click on the .command file (as per the readme instructions) it says I don't have permission, even though I do. After a bit of research, I learned how to chmod =x it to make it an executable file but then when I try to execute it, terminal gives me this :

Last login: Sat Feb 28 22:33:25 on ttys000
/BGII\ -\ SoA/install_bg2fixpack.command ; exit;
rons-macbook-pro:~ Ron$ /BGII\ -\ SoA/install_bg2fixpack.command ; exit;
/bin/sh: /BGII - SoA/install_bg2fixpack.command: Permission denied
logout

[Process completed]

Damn you terminal.

I read somewhere else to copy and rename the weidu-mac file and replace the setup-bg2fixpack file with it, but when I do THAT I get this error:

Last login: Sat Feb 28 22:33:36 on ttys001
/BGII\ -\ SoA/setup-bg2fixpack ; exit;
rons-macbook-pro:~ Ron$ /BGII\ -\ SoA/setup-bg2fixpack ; exit;
[/BGII - SoA/setup-bg2fixpack] WeiDU version 21000
ERROR: Cannot perform auto-update, going ahead anyway!
   Sys_error("setup-bg2fixpack: No such file or directory")

** ERROR ** [SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2] not found.
Make sure that you have unpacked the archive correctly and
that you are not trying to run this file from inside an archive.
ERROR: Unable to find DIALOG.TLK in:
   dialog.tlk

Please run this program in your Infinity Engine game directory.

FATAL ERROR: Failure("Unable to find DIALOG.TLK")

Press ENTER to exit.

logout

[Process completed]

[Resume Bashing in Own Face With Computer]
 >:(

The Dialogue.tlk file is right there in the same BGII folder in my HD and everything I read on this process says I'm doing what I'm supposed to. My guess is that there is a simple "smack myself daftly on the forhead' answer to all this but damned if I can find it. I'm brand new to the world of modding and I've never used Terminal for anything before so I'm feeling a bit out of place here. I'm in India for work for a year with very limited options for entertainment so I need this.  I REALLY want to start playing with some mods as they look like a BLAST! Please help? Pretty please? Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 12:09:18 PM by jcompton »

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
I've edited the subject line because this is really a Mac-specific problem, which means most people won't have the first idea how to help you, but a small audience will probably know exactly what the answer is straightaway, if only they know their special skills are needed...
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

unreserved_Steve

The unarchiver you're using isn't setting execute permission on the .command file.  Run Terminal (it's in Applications/Utilities) and type:
chmod  +x  (drag-and-drop your .command file and then press Return)

You can now double-click the .command file to install the mod.

• Planewalker
I did that, even after it's executable it still gives me an error. After I do the chmod thing, it won't give me the pop-up error saying I don't have permission (like it did before), but rather a [permission denied] error inside terminal itself.  ???

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
Do the same with the "setup-bg2fixpack" file. Make sure both those and the fixpack folder are inside your BGII - SoA folder.

In future, decompress mod RARs with StuffIt Expander.

• Planewalker
Oh my god, that was it! I can't freakin believe that all I needed to do was change the UnRar program. (they need a forehead smack smiley).

Thank you all for your help!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: