Author Topic: This mod changes color!  (Read 6051 times)

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
This mod changes color!
« on: February 15, 2009, 01:16:13 PM »
I've been tossing around the idea of a cosmetic mod for players with keen fashion sense, who want to color-coordinate the items that their characters wear. Maybe you want to make each of your party members a different color scheme so you can tell them apart more easily, maybe you want your entire group to wear the same uniform or livery, or maybe you're just sick of the way 1/2 of the best items in the game are colored green for some reason. So this mod will add a new item to a store (probably Ribald): It looks like a cursed Oil of Speed (rainbow-colored bottle), and when you rub it (once per day) it summons a Radiant Mephit named Lavender. She will remain in place for 1 turn, during which time any party member can talk to her: She'll look over the items (helmet, weapons, shield, armor/robe) that you currently have equipped, and ask you which one you want to change color. You pick the item, then the color (including an option to set the item back to its original, default colors), she takes the item away, casts "Chromatic Shift" (Color Spray animation) on you, and puts the appropriately-colored version of the item in your Inventory. Items whose color is specifically mentioned in their name or description (Pale Green Ioun Stone, Doomplate+3, etc.) cannot be "repainted," and certain other items may have similar traits (the blade of Stonefire should always glow red, no matter what color you make the rest of the axe).

Naturally, this would require making hundreds of new items, but I'm pretty sure WeiDU can do it on the fly: The mod would have to be installed after any other mod that adds or changes items, but then it could simply do a COPY_EXISTING of each of the items to multiply, copy it to 8 or 9 new filenames, then write the appropriate color values into the correct hex offsets for each of the new items. The problem is what colors to make everything: (THIS IS WHERE THIS POST TURNS INTO A POLL) Does it make more sense to have the "trim" colors be the same as the "main" color of the item, so that the "trim" color of each character will be determined by that character's own Major/Minor Clothing Colors, or is it better to have the "trim" color of the item built-in, so that each item looks good by itself? (For instance, I don't think your Major/Minor Clothing colors will have any effect on your weapon.)

In other words, which is better: All Red, or Red with Gold trim?
All Gold, or Gold with Yellow highlights?
All Green, or Green with Teal?
All Blue, or Blue with Silver & Light Blue?
All Violet, or Violet with Purple & Blue?
All Brown, or Brown with Green & Tan?
All White, or White with Gold & Yellow?
All Black, or Black with Red?
I'm undecided on whether or not to offer a "Multicolored" option; if so, should the items have bright, primary colors like the Jester's Chain, or those strange many-hued effects that Jan wears?

Offline Daulmakan

• Comfortably numb
  • Planewalker
Re: This mod changes color!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 02:07:03 PM »
The idea sounds nice. Have you looked at this? It might give you a few pointers as well as things to improve from that one.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 08:30:51 PM »
I remember Ghrey working on color changing items years and years ago. Next time I see him I'll see if he remembers anything about this.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 01:12:45 PM »
The idea sounds nice. Have you looked at this?
Interesting. Not quite how I would have liked to do it (being able to choose colors not normally accessible is nice, but completely deactivating the normal method is overkill, IMO), but nice. Of course, Rupert's dyes only change the color of the character, not the character's items, so the Sentinel Shield will always be green, regardless of what you set your "Armor" color to be.

So I may still go ahead with this Lavender mod.

But . . . nobody has an opinion on whether or not the items should be a) all one color, or b) mostly one color with complementary details?

Offline Jarin

• Wanderer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 01:50:21 PM »
I would, for one, like to see a proper dark-blue color in the game, as there doesnt seem to be one now. (Just light blue and blue. While there is a red and a dark red :().

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 02:04:28 PM »
We're limited to the colors in the game--the color listing has "Dark Blue #3C507D," "Dark Blue #1C487D," "Dark Metallic Blue #34A1CE," and "Chrome Blue #485D91." The darkest of these is the 1C487D, which is the color currently available for selection as your Major/Minor clothing color--so we can't get darker than that, sorry.

Offline Daulmakan

• Comfortably numb
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 07:54:30 PM »
I'd be pretty much set with a single color for the whole item, but several different color tones are more than welcome.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: