Author Topic: What new mods does BG2 need?  (Read 19886 times)

Offline nurgles_herald

• Planewalker
  • Valar dohaeris
What new mods does BG2 need?
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:59:20 AM »
There are hordes of (un)finished NPCs running around.  Lots of them are romanceable.  Plenty of new quests, jumbles of items and loot, dialogue, fixes, restorations... I hate to say it, but I think that the modding community has actually produced a near-perfect product all ready.  What more do we really need in the game?  The *only* conceivable thing missing, in my opinion, is a gay male romanceable NPC; there's all ready a lesbian and a bisexual, so might as well round off the group.  But really, I think that congratulations are in order- after years of modding, Baldur's Gate 2 has truly become the pinnacle of human achievement in video gaming.
"It makes far better sense to reshape ourselves to fit a finite planet than to attempt to reshape the planet to fit our infinite wants."

"Communism failed as an ascetic morality. Capitalism failed because it destroys morality altogether."
--David Orr

http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC27/Orr.htm

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: What new mods does BG2 need?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 12:10:37 PM »
http://www.spellholdstudios.net/ie/nathaniel or http://www.spellholdstudios.net/ie/luxleys may be of interest to you. Or our own http://gibberlings3.net/romanticencounters.

Anyway, you're welcome, play mods, our mods are Da Best, etc. :)

Offline nurgles_herald

• Planewalker
  • Valar dohaeris
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 12:16:28 PM »
Ha, Well, I stand corrected.  Again, accolades to the modding community.  Baldur's Gate 2 should really be repackaged with these modifications included; I, for one, would buy it.
"It makes far better sense to reshape ourselves to fit a finite planet than to attempt to reshape the planet to fit our infinite wants."

"Communism failed as an ascetic morality. Capitalism failed because it destroys morality altogether."
--David Orr

Offline Rivlusc

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 02:08:29 PM »
Enough with the damnedable elves! We need more shorties! Dwarves, gnomes and Halfling characters, perhaps romancable enough to be fun.

A Half-Orc would be nice as well.

Offline Blizzard Beast

• Overambitious Drunken Lout
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 05:04:03 PM »
How about a barbarian NPC?

To my knowledge, there isn't one.

Neither's there a gay NPC.

Hmm...

...barbarians, furs, cold, from a place where men are REAL men...

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?  ;D

Ahhh, fjoerk it, let's make him a half orc as well.
"Xanathar the Elder Orb swore that he would never again use vacuum-powered airline toilets."

Offline nurgles_herald

• Planewalker
  • Valar dohaeris
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 08:38:13 PM »
Actually, yeah.  Male, Romanceable Barbarian Half-orc... who happens to find masculinity extremely attractive.  Only romanceable by male Charnames with Strength over 16.  Bam.

I would totally jump in and make this, but I feel the need to play through BG2 again before I even *think* about modding.  It's been, oh, two and a half years since I last got to ToB.  Yeah...

--David Orr

Offline Rivlusc

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 09:00:21 PM »
For gays, we already have Nathaniel.

Offline Blizzard Beast

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 08:21:11 AM »
Actually, yeah.  Male, Romanceable Barbarian Half-orc... who happens to find masculinity extremely attractive.  Only romanceable by male Charnames with Strength over 16.  Bam.

I would totally jump in and make this, but I feel the need to play through BG2 again before I even *think* about modding.  It's been, oh, two and a half years since I last got to ToB.  Yeah...

Well, I'm trying to get into moddery, having recently replayed all the IE games over the past year or so (apart from Tales of the Sword Coast and Planescape). I actually have a character in mind - name, stats, personality, and so forth, and I'm getting to writing it as it happens.

I think making him a half-orc is probably a bit over the top. As is insisting that all his potential partners have STR 16+, that reminds me too much of Saerileth and how she'll ditch you for having CHR less than 15 or thereabouts. It's too artificial.

Personalitywise, I think we should also make him, unlike all the Bioware romances, and unlike the vast majority of mod romances, without too much emotional baggage.

I'd be willing to write the banters and LTs and so forth; I have an idea where to go with this. HOWEVER, I will not write any flirts for such a romance because I don't trust myself not to go over the top all the time.

And I'd be willing to record the voice acting as well (myself.)

Portraits? Alas, I can't do this though. My drawing sucks.

Quests? Maybe later.
"Xanathar the Elder Orb swore that he would never again use vacuum-powered airline toilets."

Offline Rivlusc

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 11:46:49 AM »
Technically, the game doesn't 'need' anything. Maybe BG2 Finch would be the best thing ever, but beyond that, there's no 'need' haves.

Enough with the elves though. Maybe some Dwarves or Orcs, female and romancable would be fun!

erik

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 11:55:50 AM »
Dwarven Mushroom Farmer. Hubelpot-style. Romancable, why not.  ;D

Offline Ankhesenpaaten

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 12:00:19 PM »
For gays, we already have Nathaniel.

And there is Sarah for the gals. 

Offline nurgles_herald

• Planewalker
  • Valar dohaeris
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 08:00:31 PM »
Are there any popular Half-orc NPC mods floating about?  I mean, we all ready have a veritable slew of NPCs out there, but it seems to me that the overwhelming block of them are either Human or some variation of Elf.  We have a dwarf in Korgan, a Gnome in Jan, and a halfling in Mazzy; I don't know how many more of *those* types we need.  But a female half-orc character would be nice (not to be cliche, but I can't think of any Barbarian characters either...).  Thoughts?

--David Orr

erik

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 09:38:45 PM »
Half-Orcs - Only Ariena, as far as I can remember off-hand...

http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=17141

Offline Rivlusc

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 11:51:26 PM »
Are there any popular Half-orc NPC mods floating about?  I mean, we all ready have a veritable slew of NPCs out there, but it seems to me that the overwhelming block of them are either Human or some variation of Elf.  We have a dwarf in Korgan, a Gnome in Jan, and a halfling in Mazzy; I don't know how many more of *those* types we need.  But a female half-orc character would be nice (not to be cliche, but I can't think of any Barbarian characters either...).  Thoughts?

You say one of the short races is enough... but why? We have 10 thousand dang elf mods and we need more racial diversity!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 01:21:43 AM »
I recall Hildury from IWD2 NPCs is a half-orc.

Personally, I am a racist, so I'm quite comfortable with the lack of half-goblins around.

Offline Blizzard Beast

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 10:09:19 AM »

Gay Half-Orc Barbarian, I'm still in favour of this.

I'd be more than willing to contribute writing and voice-over "talent" - I use inverted commas because I'm more than happy to shout into a microphone.

I think once I've translated Assassinations and IWDNPCs into French I may get to writing for such a character.

Offline Rivlusc

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 02:09:44 PM »
At least make him interesting: He will not romance elves, Half-elves or halflings. Every other race... Dwarves need love.

How would I make a Half-Orc?

Hmm, not too bright, a bit of a guy forced to be a hired thug, and shunned by his father for being a half-breed.

Am I honestly the only one tired of elves being everywhere?

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 10:26:36 PM »
Well, I tend to look at it as one way of achieving the "correct" balance: Walk down the streets of Athkatla and take note of how many non-Humans you bump into. Apart from the fact that Halflings seem to have a legal monopoly on the position of Town Crier, the shortfolk and fairfolk are scarcely to be seen--and if you do see one, odds are that you're going to be killing him pretty soon. Don't get me wrong, I understand that Athktala and Trademeet are Human settlements, and the only race that does well at integrating itself is the Halflings, but really, would it have killed BioWare to have built in a little more diversity?

Of course, a big part of the problem is that every Peasant, Commoner, Nobleman, Noblewoman, Sailor, Civil Servant, Fishwife, Girl and Boy is assumed to be Human. Since this is the "Suggest-a-mod" forum, I'd like to propose a "No More Commoners" mod, which gives every single townsperson in the game a unique name and portrait, and probably stats and Race/Class as well.

Uh, but yeah, everybody and their Aunt Tilly assuming that "Beauty is Elf, and Elf beauty" is rather stupid, just a couple of rungs up from Mary-Sueism. Say, just what percent of mod NPCs are Elven, anyway? Has anyone actually counted them up? I've designed a few NPCs myself, and took care to have a rather egalitarian mix: 36% Human, 11% each of Elf, Half-Elf, Dwarf & Halfling, 8% Gnome, 8% Half-Orc, and 3% Other.

Offline nurgles_herald

• Planewalker
  • Valar dohaeris
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 12:09:11 AM »
Dude, there are dwarf/halfling NPC mods out there? Linkpls.  No, but seriously.  If they are quality, that is.

--David Orr

Offline Rivlusc

• Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 05:54:02 PM »
The only halfling mods... um, there's an Alora mod for BG2 out there somewhere, but its not complete.

I know more GNOME mods: Finch and BG2 Tiax, and Finch is sadly Tutu only.

Speaking of which, more mods for Tutu would be more than welcome compared to SOA/TOB mods.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:59:06 PM by Rivlusc »

Offline Hamadrys

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2008, 04:16:48 PM »
I wouldn't mind a romance with another drow. The one of Solaufein was very well done, the problam is that you have to wait soooo long before picking him up... A complicated romance, where you actually would have to work to get the drow to love you. That would be cool.
Want to make free easy money ? Go to : http://cashcrate.com/874128

Offline nurgles_herald

• Planewalker
  • Valar dohaeris
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2008, 08:22:48 PM »
Korgan Antagonism Track, as brought up by jcompton.  Brilliant.

--David Orr

Offline Rivlusc

• Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 03:50:33 PM »
What is this Korgan mod you speak of?

In any case, I stand by my idea that TuTu needs a bit more love.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 07:52:40 AM »
No.

I'm partial to human NPCs myself, though I'd also be delighted to see a finished half-orc, halfling or dwarf NPC.

Offline nurgles_herald

• Planewalker
  • Valar dohaeris
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 10:49:06 AM »
Upon furtherconsideration, I'm in favor of a Good/Neutral Dwarf NPC.  And certainly a half-orc.  But, really, I think that we've got plenty of humans running around.  Sure, they're not as horribly overused as elves, but still.  The game ships with enough humans for a viable human-only party, and there NPC mods out there to give such a party true diversity.  I'm of the opinion that, when such a party has become attainable, no more NPCs are required of that race.

--David Orr

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: