Author Topic: Just extrodinary  (Read 14384 times)

Offline davhey

• Planewalker
Just extrodinary
« on: October 10, 2008, 11:29:05 AM »
Hello,

After several years away from BG2 I decided to pick it up again. I have never explored the mods, or even the side quests of the original game much. This time I planned on 'playing' the game rather than beating it - and my search for mods brought me to this amazing place.

There are other mods I installed (like the awesome Keto, Kelsey, dungeon be gone and the flirt packs) but this one has really blown me away. Nalia was the NPC I would have romanced my first time through, but the other girls didn't interest me. I have to give so much credit to the mod maker here - it is truly astonishing how well written and natural the whole thing feels.

I do have a general romance question. It is hard to tell what moves the relationship forward, and if everything is just timed or if I am having an impact on things. In my mind, each action I take moves some sort of 'Nalia relationship value' in a positive or negative direction - and once you cross a certain threshold, new options open up. Am I completely wrong here? What impact do the PC initiated flirts have - I'm afraid to use them for fear of making her mad.

Bottom line - it is an amazing community you folks have here - I wish I had found this site a long time ago!!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Just extrodinary
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 12:07:22 PM »
Hey,

Welcome to PPG. jcompton will read the compliments shortly, I hope. :)

To answer your question: yes, there is a "negative direction", but only in lovetalks, and only if you take openly evil/nasty options -and even then, you can always apologize afterwards. You need not restrain yourself while flirting with her. And whatever you do, all options are open to you - unless, of course, you play a dwarf, in which case you get to see a lovely talk you'll totally miss otherwise. (I'm just teasing you; yes, really, you can choose any option, any flirt, and you'll still be fine).

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 03:22:33 PM »
Kulyok pretty much said it all--there's really not so much a concept of "high scores unlock new content" as "don't fall too low or bad things will happen." I was iffy about the concept of scoring going in and pretty much just dipped my toe in the water.

Thanks very much for the comments on the Nalia content. It was a long time coming and still might not have been published if not for Kulyok's help, but I'm glad people are satisfied with the results.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Allandaros

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 04:18:49 PM »
I just wanted to chime in with another call of thank you. This mod was great - a joy to play through, and it totally revitalized BG2 for me.

I was really depressed when I found out that the romance doesn't function in ToB. "Nalia - has nothing to say to you."  :'( After all we went through...and she just gets a mindwipe in ToB! Ah well, at least I got to play through a great addition to SoA.

Offline Ankhesenpaaten

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 05:01:36 PM »
I have to add my praises as well.  I just LOVED this romance!   I never cared for Nalia much before but this mod fleshed her out so much more and giving her mother and father some history really made her more "real" for me.  The romance is lovely and progressed at the perfect pace I think.  And I also cared about the Keep as a stronghold more than I ever did before.  It had more meaning.

Thanks JC and Kulyok and etc and I really really hope the TOB portion won't be too terribly far off. 

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 06:24:12 PM »
Hi, thanks for your work with this mod. There are several interesting mods of which the ToB part will probably never be released. :'( I hope your mod will not share this fate. Please?

Demoneq

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 11:12:08 AM »
I loved it too - it even managed to keep me from playing World of Warcraft until I finished it. (and that's quite an achievement, I tell you! ;) )

Give ToB part!

Jan

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 04:37:25 PM »
I concur!  Nalia is a keeper for the ages.  And your eloquent, robust fleshing out of her character is most welcome.  But, when TOB comes, :::fwip::: that's it.  It's as if a rogue group of turnip snatchers has snatched up our dear Nalia as well!

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 05:14:11 PM »
You guys are making it hard for me to keep procrastinating...
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 12:50:59 AM »
If you finish it in March, I could code it for you - if things go well, I'll have a novel and some free time then.

EDIT: :) IF you write this stuff in .d - or at least in pseudo d. This will work:

// all states start with j#lt, or j#l
j#lt1
SAY ~Hi.~
= ~In case you didn't get it, hi.~
= ~Hi again. What? I like monologues.~
+ ~Hi.~ j#lt1.1
+ ~Um... okay.~ j#lt1.2
+ ~Whut?~ j#lt1.2

j#lt1.1
SAY ~Now, what was I talking about? Ah... yes.~
- j#lt1.2

...and so on. Saves time, and afterwards mass replace is your friend. Hey, it almost works as a tutorial!

VestDan

Stop procrastinating then? Pleeeeease?
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 01:18:55 AM »
I keep checkin' back every week or so, see if I can get some closure ;). But speaking as a writer, if you're as into the character as I think you are, I'm sure Nalia herself has been pestering you to finish her story. Characters can be funny like that.

Brad

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 04:31:57 PM »
:: strolling by the 'coming soon' Nalia display with a smile and an eager look of anticipation...hoping to encourage jcompton to complete his masterpiece ::

;)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »
Yeah. By the way, JC, I'll be deep into my second novel in two weeks or so, so... maybe? (Quickly, quickly, before I change my mind! :) )

Offline Reverendratbastard

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
  • "to keep my metaphysics warm" -T.S.Eliot
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 04:59:55 PM »
I loved it too - it even managed to keep me from playing World of Warcraft until I finished it. (and that's quite an achievement, I tell you! ;) )

Give ToB part!

that right there put me to shame.  :-\

now i'm archiving [almost] all of my music in order to have room for more than just tutu; time to enable my dusty cavalier fantasy...   :D

note to grumps:  i'm not going to do this resurrection shit a dozen times today, or even this week [probably].  i'm reading the dates.  chill.  (nice touch with the warning, though - if that had been around six years ago i might have been less despised!)
the lord of murder shall perish, yadda yadda yadda.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 09:17:05 AM »
note to grumps:  i'm not going to do this resurrection shit a dozen times today, or even this week [probably].  i'm reading the dates.  chill.  (nice touch with the warning, though - if that had been around six years ago i might have been less despised!)

It's just an automated feature, I'm not even certain I turned it on intentionally. Resurrect away.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: