Author Topic: Watching the financial collapse  (Read 2244 times)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Watching the financial collapse
« on: October 10, 2008, 05:53:29 AM »
You know what's made watching the financial collapse fun? Watching it on Bloomberg Television.

Unlike the overpolished babble on, say, CNBC, which I have tuned out whenever I happen to be unfortunate enough to be in a bank or dentist office or whatever playing it over the past 15+ years, Bloomberg has a delightful "We're not entirely sure what we're doing here" quality about it. Particularly the evening Asian market programming, which feels a little like I'm just tuning into someone in Hong Kong with a webcam talking about stock prices.

I wasn't a financial TV watcher before, but when something goofy happens, I find myself unable to resist tuning into BTV to see if someone will somewhat nervously talk about it while fidgeting in their seat.

(also, frequent recent guest Diane Garnick is oddly compelling, as knowledgeable chirpy blonde financial analysts go. Actually, she reminds me a bit of Imoen--if Imoen was 40 and had an econ degree.)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 01:52:40 PM by jcompton »
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Watching the financial collapse
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 06:13:55 AM »
You've seen "Subprime Primer"? I guess everyone did; I saw it only today with Russian subtitles, though.

http://www.businesspundit.com/sub-prime/

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 07:45:53 AM »
Yeah, that's so pre-actual-bank-failures. :)
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Azazello

• The Anti-Spammer
  • Planewalker
    • Azazello’s Music Profile at Last.fm
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 01:20:21 PM »
(also, frequent recent guest Diane Granick is oddly compelling, as knowledgeable chirpy blonde financial analysts go. Actually, she reminds me a bit of Imoen--if Imoen was 40 and had an econ degree.)

Does anyone have a link to this show? I tried [this one] but tis not working for me.

EDIT: [got a working link] (Gotta love UnPlug!)

I now understand why, during business school, the Finance and Econ professors would laugh at anyone who used advice from or would quote MSNBC or Fox or CNBC. I never watched those shows even before school, but might start for the entertainment value alone.

Did one of the show hosts tell 'Imoen' to do something with her hair?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 01:36:32 PM by Azazello »
Community Contributions
Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls
========================================
"Deception has many faces. Truth...has only one."

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 01:55:02 PM »
You leave her alone. I love her even more than I love the new, faucet-selling Imoen.org girl.

Offline Azazello

• The Anti-Spammer
  • Planewalker
    • Azazello’s Music Profile at Last.fm
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 02:56:03 PM »
You leave her alone. I love her even more than I love the new, faucet-selling Imoen.org girl.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Granick's advice. Being that she was on the program apparently only once, I think her reputation is untarnished.

I think her advice was more practical towards advising parents on how to get the most bang-for-their-loaned-buck by paying for a privileged (e.g. Ivy League) higher education for their young'uns, (high) Inflation be-damned.
Community Contributions
Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls
========================================
"Deception has many faces. Truth...has only one."