Author Topic: How about my half-human/half-halfling npc Solestia?  (Read 21153 times)

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
    • Infinity Engine Modding
How about my half-human/half-halfling npc Solestia?
« on: September 08, 2008, 05:08:13 PM »
Other than using teambg.eu where all my other mods are at, she doesn't really have a home...
She's still in the works but I can share a little and if you're interested that's great!

Solestia is half-human and half-halfling
Her father is a merchant. He's actually the co-owner of the De'Luna Traders with headquarters in Beregost and Baldur's Gate. His brother runs the Baldur's Gate branch. He is in charge of the Beregost branch. Enough of him, he's only mentioned so you know why Solestia is in Athkatla.
Her mother is dead. She died in child birth. (How convenient of me?) Seriously, a half-human/half-halfing child would be larger than a standard halfing infant and thus cause more trauma during birth. The priests were running late for some reason...
I've got a story about how they met and all that, but it's not really relevant at the moment...
Anywho...
Solestia is in Athkatla with one of her halfling cousins (he's affectionately called Shorty, he's got a real name though). They are making wine deliveries to some of the inns and taverns. Solestia is not just a merchants daughter, she is a thief. Why a thief? Well, I wanted an easy to get to thief that wasn't dual or multi and was a girl. That played a part, but she is a thief because as a child growing up in Gullykin with her Aunt she turned to pulling pranks as a means of getting some attention other than that given because she was different. She is taller like a human, but has many racial attributes of the halfling (including not as heavy, but still hairy legs and feet). Also, at a fairly early age for halflings (but acceptable for humans), she was sent to live with her father in Beregost (perhaps she'll be met in bg1 at some point). During this time she traveled with her father making wine deliveries. Being young and bored at all the stops, she began picking peoples pockets especially the pockets of those who looked down on her or made fun of her for being different.
She is going to have a high pickpocket ability, with some decent open locks skill, find traps is going to be on the low side (but usable), stealth and shadow will be decent as these abilities are honed in concert with picking pockets and not getting caught. She has no current ability in setting traps or detecting illusions.
I plan for her to have a default kit of swashbuckler, but if (is it Song and Silence that has it?) the adventurer kit is installed, she'll get that instead. The adventurer fits her so much better than swashbuckler, but of all the bioware defaults swashbuckler fits her best...
Anywho, she is found in the Five Flagons in. You've got to talk to her first. She'll offer a drink and then get down to business. Basically, she is new to Athkatla. It's her first trip here and she's sort of in charge. Her cousin Shorty knows a bit more about what's going on and handles all the wine deliveries while Solestia is with the party. Back to Solestia, she is trying to ask for some help getting around the city. She's got some personal stuff to deliver/find buyers etc... She wants your help to help her find these people. The first thing is easy, she's got some very poor paintings her aunt made. She needs to sell them. The second is a bit more difficult, there are two items, both magical that she stole. One of them was supposed to have been stolen by a Shadow Thief operative, but Solestia beat them to the punch. At some point these items are stolen from Solestia and you've got to track them back down so she can give them to the Shadow thieves and get them off her back. When all is said and done, you meet back up with Shorty (wherever you left him - he moves areas) and you get the final choice to let Solestia stay with the group or go back to Beregost with Shorty...
Plans are for banters with Minsc and Boo. I'm even thinking of assigning Boo his own picture and dialog file, because that would make things easier. Plan for Boo to jump ship if Minsc bites the dust (provided the 'friendship' has gone that far). He'll go back once Minsc gets raised from the dead, but if he's chunked then Boo has a new home for the rest of the game....
My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altherin.webs.com

Offline ddv

• Planewalker
Re: How about my half-human/half-halfling npc Solestia?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 05:36:13 PM »
I like the idea, a lot. The character would fill a hole in BG, there aren't enough halfing/dwarf/gnome NPCs.

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 07:10:18 PM »
I like the idea, a lot. The character would fill a hole in BG, there aren't enough halfing/dwarf/gnome NPCs.
Yeah, but she's using the elf animation. I tried human, but it's too tall. She is definitely taller than your average halfling... Gotta give her custom armor though and make it non-removable else the game forces the animation back to halfling since that's her race entry....
My working mods:

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 08:57:30 PM »
Nickname should be Short Round.  :D

Interesting otherwise.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 12:30:18 AM »
You got any dialogue samples?

Offline strayshift

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 05:17:24 AM »
Good Luck with it - I also think you should consider a romance for a Male Halfling pc at least and possibly a human. I like the affinity with Boo idea and I think in character she would get on with Imoen also (seeing her as a kind of prankster).
G

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 04:50:12 PM »
You got any dialogue samples?
Here's a copy of the coded rough draft of the first Solestia/Minsc banter regarding Boo. I know there are some grammar corrections to be made....
Code: [Select]
BEGIN ab_solb

CHAIN
IF ~InParty("minsc")
    !Dead("minsc")
    !StateCheck("minsc",STATE_SLEEPING)
    PartyRested()
    Global("WWBooGone","GLOBAL",0)
    Global("ab_solboofriends","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN ab_solb boo1
 ~Psst! Minsc, come here. Don't wake <CHARNAME> or the others yet.~
 DO ~SetGlobal("ab_solboofriends","GLOBAL",1)~
 == BMINSC ~Uh, what? What is it, Solestia?~
 == ab_solb ~There is something moving under my blanket.~
 == BMINSC ~Minsc does not need Boo to tell him 'Don't fall for that one.' Minsc can be pretty smart sometimes.~
 == ab_solb ~I'm sure you can, but I'm serious here. There is SOMETHING alive down there.~
 == BMINSC ~Fine, fine, calm down. I'll just get Boo to go check it out.~
 = ~Boo, Boo where are you?~
 = ~He's not... No, not there... Maybe... No, no, and no.~
 = ~I can not find Boo anywhere.~
END
++ ~What is going on! Why are you throwing your armor everywhere, Minsc?~ GOTO ab_solb boo2

APPEND ab_solb
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN boo2
 SAY ~He's looking for Boo.~
 ++ ~Why?~ GOTO ab_solb boo3
END
END

CHAIN
IF ~~ THEN boo3
 ~Because there is SOMETHING moving under my blankets. He was going to have Boo investigate.~
 == BMINSC ~Boo is small and would fit under the blanket. Minsc is big and would not fit.~
END
 ++ ~Must I put up with this, just pull the blanket off and look.~ GOTO ab_solb boo4

CHAIN
IF ~~ THEN boo4
 ~Well, looky there! I think we found Boo.~
 == BMINSC ~See Minsc was right! Boo can fit under blanket.~
 = ~Boo must have sensed evil. Boo stomped the butts of evil right out of her blankets!~
 == ab_solb ~Boo: Squeeeee... Zzzzzz... *rolls over and licks lips*~
 = ~I... I don't think so. I think maybe he was here the whole time.~
 = ~See how he is asleep. I think he likes my hair.~
 = ~Oh, what a cute yawn he has!~
 == BMINSC ~Wake up Boo! Come back to Minsc.~
END
Here's her pre-party/joining dialog. I know this file works in the game. I'm sure there might be some grammar to correct though.
BEGIN ab_sol1
//just met her
IF ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)~ THEN BEGIN 0
 SAY @3000 /* ~Pull up a stool and have a drink. My name is Solestia De'Luna. Who might you be?~ */
 IF ~~ THEN
  REPLY @3001 /* ~I'm <CHARNAME>. Pleased to meet you, Solestia.~ */
  GOTO yesproposal
 IF ~~ THEN
  REPLY @3002 /* ~I am wary about giving my name out to strangers, but I will take that drink.~ */
  GOTO yesproposal
 IF ~~ THEN
  REPLY @3003 /* ~I don't feel like a drink right now and I don't want to hear a thing you have to say.~ */
  GOTO nodrink
END
//don't want drink -- she will leave gone for good.
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN nodrink
 SAY @3004 /* ~If that is how you feel, then stand somewhere else.~ */
 = @3005 /* ~Hey, cousin. Let's go finish making our deliveries and get back to Beregost.~ */
 IF ~~ THEN
  DO ~ActionOverride("Shorty",EscapeArea())
      EscapeArea()~ EXIT
END
//listening
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN yesproposal
 SAY @3006 /* ~If you're willing I could use your help to dispose myself of some products. Some, how shall I say this, personal acquisitions, if you will.~ */
 IF ~~ THEN
  REPLY @3007 /* ~What kind of acquisitions are we talking about?~ */
  GOTO whatstuff
END
//ask about stuff
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN whatstuff
 SAY @3011 /* ~Simple things really...~ */
   = @3008 /* ~Four paintings that my aunt wants to sell.~ */
   = @3009 /* ~A telescope rumored to have a magical enchantment.~ */
   = @3010 /* ~A statue of a dog made out of jade, also rumored to have magical properties.~ */
 IF ~~ THEN
  REPLY @3012 /* ~Is there some reason you can't sell these things yourself?~ */
  GOTO whydontyou
END
//ask why can't you
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN whydontyou
 SAY @3013 /* ~Of the paintings, I have no doubt that I could sell them. But it's rumored that someone in the Shadow Thieves is looking for the jade statue.~ */
 = @3014 /* ~I don't have many friends in this city and I need help finding buyers.~ */
 IF ~~ THEN
  REPLY @3015 /* ~I am new to this place, as well. Together we could find our way around. I'll help you.~ */
  GOTO join
 IF ~InParty("Yoshimo")~ THEN
  REPLY @3016 /* ~I have a companion who has been here for sometime. Perhaps Yoshimo has some ideas.~ */
  DO ~SetGlobal("abaskyoshi","GLOBAL",1)~
  EXTERN yoshj 1000
 IF ~InParty("JAHEIRA")~ THEN
  REPLY @3017 /* ~Jaheira worked in the city once. Maybe she can help. Helping is her thing...~ */
  DO ~SetGlobal("abaskjaheira","GLOBAL",1)~
  EXTERN JAHEIRAJ 1000
 IF ~GlobalLT("chapter","GLOBAL",4)~ THEN
  REPLY @3018 /* ~I'm sorry, I'm too busy trying to find a friend who was taken by the Cowled Wizards. And to make matters worse the Shadow Thieves were somehow involved, I really don't want to cross them.~ */
  GOTO byebye
 IF ~GlobalGT("chapter","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN
  REPLY @3019 /* ~No, I don't think so. At least, not right now.~ */
  GOTO byebye
END
//if no do
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN byebye
 SAY @3020 /* ~I understand, but if you should change your mind, I'll be here for a little while.~ */
 IF ~~ THEN
  DO ~SetGlobal("ab_sollisten","GLOBAL",2)~
  EXIT
END
//if do
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN join
 SAY @3021 /* ~I am happy to have your help. I've heard that there is someone in the Promenade who may purchase the paintings I have. Perhaps we should start there.~ */
 IF ~~ THEN
  DO ~SetGlobal("absoljoined","GLOBAL",1)
      SetGlobal("ab_solstartquest","GLOBAL",1)
      ReallyForceSpellRes("fjxpmooc",Myself)
      JoinParty()~
  EXIT
END
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN askhelp
 SAY @3022 /* ~I suppose you might be right. But I don't want to do it alone. Will you help me?~ */
 IF ~~ THEN
  REPLY @3023 /* ~Yes, let's do this.~ */
  GOTO join
 IF ~~ THEN
  REPLY @3024 /* ~No, you're on your own.~ */
  GOTO goneforgood1
END
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN askhelp2
 SAY @3025 /* ~Balance? Greater good? You lost me there. Will you help me or not?~ */
 IF ~~ THEN
  REPLY @3023 /* ~Yes, let's do this.~ */
  GOTO join
 IF ~~ THEN
  REPLY @3024 /* ~No, you're on your own.~ */
  GOTO goneforgood
END
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN goneforgood1
 SAY @3026 /* ~So be it. I shall do this on my own! Oh, cousin Shorty! Send my love to Father, please. I shall go to deal with the Shadow Thieves, and I may never return. Don't wait for me, go on with your life. Mine apparently is forfeit.~ */
 IF ~~ THEN
  EXTERN ab_shor1 22
END
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN goneforgood
 SAY @3027 /* ~Then I'm on my own. Shorty, I will be going out. I won't come back until I've found buyers for my stuff.~ */
 IF ~~ THEN
 DO ~ActionOverride("Shorty",EscapeArea())
     EscapeArea()~
 EXIT
END
//if no do
IF ~Global("ab_sollisten","GLOBAL",2)~ THEN BEGIN 2
 SAY @3028 /* ~Have you come back to help me?~ */
 IF ~~ THEN
  REPLY @3029 /* ~Yes. We'll help you sell your items. Where should we start first?~ */
  GOTO join
 IF ~~ THEN
  REPLY @3030 /* ~Sorry, no.~ */
  EXIT
END

APPEND yoshj
IF ~Global("abaskyoshi","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN BEGIN 1000
 SAY @3031 /* ~Giving the Shadow Thieves what they want, could save your life. They don't like people interfering with their plans. They've been known to... Well...  It wasn't pretty. Lets just leave it at that.~ */
 IF ~~ THEN
  EXTERN ab_sol1 askhelp
END
END

APPEND ab_shor1
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 22
 SAY @3032 /* ~Aye lass, I'll be doing so, but ya best be careful.~ */
 IF ~~ THEN
  DO ~ActionOverride("Solestia",EscapeArea())
      SetGlobalTimer("abShortyLeave","GLOBAL",7200)~ EXIT
END
END

INTERJECT_COPY_TRANS ab_sol1 goneforgood1 abjahirasassy
 == jaheiraj IF ~InParty("JAHEIRA")
                 !Dead("JAHEIRA")
                 !StateCheck("JAHEIRA",STATE_SLEEPING)~ THEN @3033 /* ~A bit melodramatic don't you think?~ */
END

APPEND jaheiraj
IF ~Global("abaskjaheira","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN BEGIN 1000
 SAY @3034 /* ~I do tend to help those in need, but only if it can serve the greater good. I would assist you, for now. But be wary that what you do does not shift the balance.~ */
 IF ~~ THEN
  EXTERN ab_sol1 askhelp2
END
END

INTERJECT_COPY_TRANS2 ab_sol1 join ab_comeback
 == ab_shor1 @3035 /* ~Hey girl! Bring back the money ya get fer selling me momma's paintings. Would ya?~ */
END

INTERJECT_COPY_TRANS2 ab_sol1 goneforgood ab_comeback1
 == ab_shor1 @3036 /* ~Alright dear. I'll keep up the deliveries without you.~ */
END
My working mods:

Offline ddv

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 05:41:48 PM »
i really like the idea, solestia sounds fun and all the bioware npc dialog is in character. as said previously, we need something more than mazzy, even if it is elf shaped. of all the ideas proposed to counter the delcia caan romance, this is my absolute favourite. do you have any specific portrait in mind yet?

@ halfling/human romances:  ::)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 01:02:29 AM »
You know, I think you are good. Dialogue comes naturally, it's nice and easy.

Dark side: Yes, there are commas missing, and what's more, in some places you get "Only one PC reply", which is a Bad thing. (Even if two replies would be saying the same thing, it'd still be much better.)

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 04:51:38 PM »
You know, I think you are good. Dialogue comes naturally, it's nice and easy.

Dark side: Yes, there are commas missing, and what's more, in some places you get "Only one PC reply", which is a Bad thing. (Even if two replies would be saying the same thing, it'd still be much better.)
Just so you know, it wasn't that easy. This was the third revision... I never understood why it's bad to have only one response for the PC. Bioware has done it where only one response would make sense.  I have thought about adjusting the banter with Minsc, giving the PC another option at the point where they ask why Minsc is looking for Boo. Something like:
~On second thought, I don't think I want to know.~
This option would exit the banter early... perhaps even altering the entire direction of the Boo/Solestia 'friendship'.

i really like the idea, solestia sounds fun and all the bioware npc dialog is in character. as said previously, we need something more than mazzy, even if it is elf shaped. of all the ideas proposed to counter the delcia caan romance, this is my absolute favourite. do you have any specific portrait in mind yet?

@ halfling/human romances:  ::)
Haven't thought that far yet. I am definitely not good with the romance stuff (just ask my wife)  ;D
I have a portrait which I like, but I'm not set in stone about it. Because I've seen versions of it in a lot of different places, just never seen it in a mod before. Wouldn't even know who to get permission to use it from anyway, as I found it in with a bunch of other pictures designed for use with the BG series. Perhaps there is no need to get permission and that's why I've seen versions of it in different places.  Anyway, here's the version I'm using as my avatar at G3 http://forums.gibberlings3.net/uploads/av-1398.png. Unfortunately, everything has to be linked rather than uploaded. I don't have a website at this time so I can't link you to the correct picture. But you can get an idea for how I visually picture her with the one I've linked.
My working mods:

Offline ddv

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 05:10:39 PM »
If you want a site to use as a workroom of sorts during development you could register something really quickly and for free at 50megs.com. Portrait looks good!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 12:45:54 AM »
Just so you know, it wasn't that easy. This was the third revision...

It often is. That you worked so hard makes it even better.

~On second thought, I don't think I want to know.~
This option would exit the banter early... perhaps even altering the entire direction of the Boo/Solestia 'friendship'.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. An illusion of a choice - it's still a choice; player is cool.

Offline magrat

• Quiet
  • Planewalker
    • FF
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 03:54:46 AM »
I have a portrait which I like, but I'm not set in stone about it. Because I've seen versions of it in a lot of different places, just never seen it in a mod before. Wouldn't even know who to get permission to use it from anyway, as I found it in with a bunch of other pictures designed for use with the BG series. Perhaps there is no need to get permission and that's why I've seen versions of it in different places.  Anyway, here's the version I'm using as my avatar at G3 http://forums.gibberlings3.net/uploads/av-1398.png. Unfortunately, everything has to be linked rather than uploaded. I don't have a website at this time so I can't link you to the correct picture. But you can get an idea for how I visually picture her with the one I've linked.

Isn't that a picture of Yuna from FF games?  ???  Or am I (as is usually the case) completely wrong... :)
"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious."
  - Oscar Wilde

Discovery,
Reclaiming,
Hopelessly Ever After

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 08:39:32 PM »
Isn't that a picture of Yuna from FF games?  ???  Or am I (as is usually the case) completely wrong... :)
Probably, since the original file names had yuna at the end. Of course, I've no clue what you are talking about, but like I said, I've seen the picture (my avatar at G3) in other locations.... I saw it on a Gamer's First site, I don't play that anymore, it was jumpier than BG2 with E-series on an 800mhz processor with 512mb ram running Win98se and that's using a pc which is 3x as fast (2.4ghz) with the same ram running WinXP.

Just so you know, it wasn't that easy. This was the third revision...
It often is. That you worked so hard makes it even better.
Yes, but things have slowed down, way down. Real life gets in the way, so does the bg fixpack. I have to decide which should get done first, the fixpack has been in the works since 2006 and we are just now finding out that some of the first draft of code doesn't do what it is supposed to do.

If ya had your choice, would you want a fixpack for bg vanilla/totsc/saga or a new npc for bg2 soa/tob?

If you want a site to use as a workroom of sorts during development you could register something really quickly and for free at 50megs.com. Portrait looks good!
If I do decide to make a website, I would probably use freewebs.com. I'm familiar with them, had a site there before. Just need a place to chat about ideas and get occasional help with code. Currently teambg.eu seems to be out of the equation...

Here is an idea which I'm not sure quite how to do. It is also the reason why I want to lengthen her quest a bit.

I want her to be able to react to the kidnapping of Boo if that UB component is installed. Specifically, I'd like her to have the opportunity to convince Minsc that the fake boo is not the real boo if PC chooses to go that way, but only if the friendship has gone far enough. However, that would take at least three banters all before or after rest. There in lies the problem. Solestia has to speak with a shadow thief rep located on the docks. Minsc looses Boo after the second visit to the docks. One path for Solestia's quest results in two visits to the docks, so I need to find some way to stretch it out so that there can be at least three game days before Boo gets taken.

As far as the interaction with the UB component, I know I can't safely interject because UB could change dialog and then I'd be forced to update. But I can script banter to start based on UB variables, I just have to require that Solestia be installed after UB instead of before.

Full quest details as of today (So if ya don't want to be spoiled don't read):
Solestia has to find buyers for her acquisitions. She has heard of a buyer for the paintings in the Promenade. Go there and sell paintings to Quataris. After paintings are sold, a thief (his name is Harry Dini) steals the telescope and jade statue from Solestia. A witness comes up and says that she thinks that he was one of the Dini brothers and can be found on the docks. Go to docks or go see Shorty in Five Flagons to give him the money from selling the paintings.
If gone to see Shorty, he'll ask if Solestia is finished. She'll say no and he'll leave to go to the Crooked Crane to make another delivery.
If gone to the docks, a Shadow Thief (Enrico) approaches and demands the statue. Player tells him they don't have it, that someone stole them. He asks about this person.
Player can lie and give correct name or tell the truth about not knowing the first name and be sent to hunt him down and kill him, after a brief description of why this person is to be killed.
Player can lie and give the incorrect first name, and be immediately attacked followed by the pickpocket showing up to give back the items because now that Enrico and his brother (Hugh Dini) are dead, he doesn't need them anymore.
If player was sent to kill Harry Dini, then they go to the slums to a house in the north east (same one where Baron Ployer is at for Jaheria's quest), have a little battle (it's tough - for me - because I gave each of them some form of enchanted armor and/or weapons).
The quest ends by returning to see Shorty either in Five Flagons or in Crooked Crane, where he'll ask if Solestia is finished. She'll say yes, but that it's up to the player whether she can stay or go. Shorty will ask the player, and the player can decide whether they want to keep Solestia or let her go.

If the player lets Solestia leave at this point, she is gone for good. In fact, if the player drops Solestia at any point before the quest is done, she leaves and is gone for good. If the player allows Solestia to stay, she won't leave for good unless somehow offended. She'll wait in the Copper Cornet or at the Five Flagons Inn or right where she is at.

Before anyone says that the early acquiring of enchanted stuff is not appropriate, I give no experience for completing Solestia's quest. The only xp is from creatures killed. There is already enough xp in the game that I feel I don't need to add anymore. I tried to be a bit realistic about the enchanted stuff, there shouldn't be anything too enchanted. Some of the items are BG2 versions of BG1 enchanted items, so the player has already come across these things before.

One thing, I know I need to do is have some kind of distraction for the player and party while Solestia gets pickpocketed. It doesn't make sense right now, how a thief who out did the Shadow Thieves can be pickpocketed without any distractions. Perhaps, I need to include a few low-level thief gangs who are out to get Solestia, she did cross the Shadow Thieves after all. Besides, part of killing Harry is to clear her name. It would be more realistic to have some attacks before and no attacks after.  Maybe I can move the stealing of the items from the promenade to the bridge district after having returned to Shorty with the money. Or when Solestia gets picked up, Shorty can go ahead and move to a different inn/tavern like the Copper Coronet. Perhaps if I require her quest to move around a bit, the player will get tied up in other quests long enough for all the needed banters to fire for the UB Boo interaction.

Any thoughts....
My working mods:

Offline ddv

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 12:18:11 AM »
If ya had your choice, would you want a fixpack for bg vanilla/totsc/saga or a new npc for bg2 soa/tob?

The NPC, IMO. I think far more people play BG2, and those who do play BG1 play it modded as a BG2 conversion (it would soon get stale otherwise).

EDIT: If you do eventually commit to the project, and need help with code, drop me a line as my own modding misadventures are slowly educating me.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:22:18 AM by DDV »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 12:41:49 AM »

Mmm. I played vanilla TotSC a couple of times, and (with a lot of help from other users) even coded Xan's friendship/soundset minimods for BG1, but I still play BG2 much more often. Besides, I may be wrong - I probably am - but to me BG1 looked okay and playable.

I think I'd go with an NPC. If she can be a friend to my PC, if it feels like she cares - I'd take her.

Offline MisterDebris

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 04:49:40 PM »

Ya that is a picture of Yuna from the FF games. And this sounds like a pretty cool idea for an NPC.
Oh and I resized that yuna picture incase you did want to use it as a portrait.
Medium 110x170
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb308/DeanRandall/ffx03-1.jpg
Small 38x60
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb308/DeanRandall/av-1398-2.png
or
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb308/DeanRandall/av-1398-1.png

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 05:10:06 PM »

Mmm. I played vanilla TotSC a couple of times, and (with a lot of help from other users) even coded Xan's friendship/soundset minimods for BG1, but I still play BG2 much more often. Besides, I may be wrong - I probably am - but to me BG1 looked okay and playable.

I think I'd go with an NPC. If she can be a friend to my PC, if it feels like she cares - I'd take her.
What kind of npc does it take to be friends with your PC? You mean, does she care about what the PC is going through? If so, maybe. Boo is going to be the ice breaker so to speak. First she'll get friendly with Boo, then perhaps Minsc (no romance). PC will be able to interact via PID only at first, but later on she'll initiate dialog with the player.

BG1 is okay and playable. I went through it completely once, and went through a large portion a second time. Then I got into modding and there went the game playing...

There are a few things that can be fixed though. Pretty much we've gone through and weiduized Baldurdash and some Dudleyville components. We were going to include some UB and SCS stuff, but the 'fixes' they did for creatures are too subjective for the scope of a fixpack. Some of UB's item, store and dialog stuff will be included. We do have some new issues solved such as the Yeslick join/kickout loop, restoration of dialog due to poorly implemented triggers, and a cool new way to let the player pick Ramazith's pocket only once and never see a second or third set of the stolen items.

Oh, and we have a new BG2 mod in mind based off of the Aldeth Sashenstar betrayal that can lead to Biff The Understudy showing up. Anything we do with Aldeth is going to be really tweakish IMHO.

Here's a quote of my post in the fixpack thread regarding Biff The Understudy...
Okay, so Biff makes his first appearance here in BG, but is given a 'real' role in BG2. Actually kind of like that. Perhaps, that's why nothing happens. There's no going to jail, getting attacked or anything that you would associate with a 'real' character. Maybe they wanted Biff to show up in at least one place...
We could build a case for that. He had to have had some experience before he could land a 'real' role in the sequel. Right? Yeah, lets do that.

Oooh, a Biff mod. A chance to talk about his previous 'acting' experiences. Maybe he could bring this up as well.

Perchance a guard was sick and asked him to fill in...

SCENE: Five Flagons Inn -- Theater Room (downstairs)
(after poor stage performance in the backstage area)

BIFF: (sob!) I really, really tried... (sob!)

PC: You're the understudy? Where's the regular actor?

BIFF: Yes, I'm the understudy. I don't know where Haer'Dalis is at. You'll have to talk to Raelis Shai.

PC: 1. I suppose I will go talk to her. EXIT

PC: 2. I wanted to know more about you first. Have you acted before?

BIFF: Well, just once I suppose. I was living in Baldur's Gate. A guard came up to me, I guess he heard I wanted to be an actor, because he asked me to fill in for him. He said he had more important things to do. He just wanted me to go see a merchant.

BIFF: It was supposed to be a simple thing really. All he wanted me to do was go see this merchant. The merchant was expecting company. I was to gather information, and ask questions. I wasn't to get involved. Just get the info, get out, and report back.

BIFF: I don't know why he wanted me to do it. Oh, I performed the job admirably. No one was the wiser. I said my lines, got the info and reported to the guard.

BIFF: I... I didn't know they were going to try to kill those adventurers.

BIFF: I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't stay in the city. I had to leave. I wanted to get away from it all, the iron was going bad, Amn was threatening war.

BIFF: I went south. I came as far as Athkatla. I was lucky to land this gig, but I wish it hadn't been at the expense of someone else. You should really talk to Raelis Shai.

PC: 1. For an actor with poor stage presence, you sure can handle a monologue.

PC: 2. I think, I will go talk to Raelis. EXIT

PC: (if pc good) 3. You! I remember you! You were the one at Aldeth's house. I suppose I should be grateful. If it had been the guard, I could have been imprisoned or worse.

PC: (if pc bad) 4. I remember you! You should be glad you're still alive. I would've run you through if you'd tried to take me in.

Ahhh, I can't think of any more.... lol.gif
My working mods:

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 05:19:50 PM »

Ya that is a picture of Yuna from the FF games. And this sounds like a pretty cool idea for an NPC.
Oh and I resized that yuna picture incase you did want to use it as a portrait.
Medium 110x170
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb308/DeanRandall/ffx03-1.jpg
Small 38x60
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb308/DeanRandall/av-1398-2.png
or
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb308/DeanRandall/av-1398-1.png
Thanks, but I've already got the correct size images on that one and the one I've actually picked for her. I had to re-size them so they could be used as avatars. I just changed my avatar at G3 to the actual one I've got slated to use with Solestia. It's the easiest way right now to show an npc portraithttp://forums.gibberlings3.net/uploads/av-1398.jpg.
My working mods:

Offline ddv

• Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 03:29:01 PM »
Solestia sounds very promising.. is this officially in progress yet?  ;D

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 05:09:20 PM »
Solestia sounds very promising.. is this officially in progress yet?  ;D
Officially in progress? I suppose, yes. I've got a complete working version that is lacking in the banter/pid/interjection department.  The joining and quest could be considered done, but I'm sure there are more things that could be tweaked at this point. I was thinking about going in and making some of the changes I mentioned earlier.

There is a link, but Teambg.eu has been down for what seems like forever now. I'm afraid I'll have to move my mods to a new home, if things don't change soon. At the least, I'll have to get some copies up on the IEGMC. I just hate putting incomplete works up there though.

Voicing is another thing... I could do it, but I don't think Solestia sounds like a guy and I know my wife wouldn't do it.  I have the capability to do it, I'm just lacking the female voice. I'll figure it out though...  She won't get a voice until I'm done with everything else anyway, so I got time...
My working mods:

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
I've talked about making some adjustments to the quest line.

I've just come up with an outline, that will avoid any interaction with the Docks should the player wish to see Solestia interact with Minsc regarding the disappearance of Boo should that component from UB be present. I'm asking for thoughts on whether it is practical or even doable. There are a couple of things in here that I need learn how to do, so if somebody knows or can point me to a mod that does it, I'd be grateful.

I know the numbering system could use some help, but it works.
0) Solestia is found in FF Inn with Shorty.
1) She is rejected and leaves.
1a) Shorty leaves.
2) She is politely refused for the time being and stays.
2a) Shorty stays.
3) She joins and quest begins.
3a) Shorty continues delievering wine, has stop at Copper Coronet.
3b) Party goes to Promenade and sells paintings.
3c) Party goes to Slums to meet Shorty at Copper Coronet.
3d) Party gives gold to Shorty from paintings being sold.
3e) Shorty leaves and goes to Crooked Crane to make another wine delivery.
3f) Party leaves Copper Coronet and gets mass attacked by thugs (at least six - all fairly weak).
3g) Solestia gets pick pocketed while in combat.
3h) She notices the stuff missing.
3i) A witness comes up and says the guy could be a shadow thief from the Docks.
3i--a) if party hasn't meet with Enrico after 24 hours, another mass thief attack. Repeats until Enrico has been met. (learn how to do)
3j) Party heads to docks, but gets waylaid by random encounter area -- (learn how to do)
3k) Enrico talks to Solestia/Party about items.
3k1) Party lies about name (incorrectly) and gets attacked.
3k1a) Harry appears and gives the items back.
3k1b) Go back to Shorty, quest done.
3k1b1) Solestia leave with Shorty.
3k1b2) Solestia stay with party.
3k2) Party lies about name (correctly) or tells truth and gets sent to find Harry in Slums. Enrico will meet party in Promenade (with a few friends).
3k2 -- a) If party hasn't meet Harry yet, reminder appearances by at least 3 thugs once every 24 hours, can talk way out of fight (learn how to do)
3k2a) Party goes back to Slums and finds Harry.
3k2b) Harry offers a way to get the items back.
3k2b1) Party refuses to hear and must kill Harry and friends.
3k2b1a) Return to Enrico and get rewarded.
3k2b1b) GOTO 3k1b
3k2b2) Party listens and must go kill Enrico and friends.
3k2b2a) Party goes to Promenade talks to Enrico
3k2b2a1) Party convinces a better reward and goes back to kill Harry.
3k2b2a1a) Party goes back to Harry and kills him.
3k2b2a1b) Go back to Enrico, get reward.
3k2b2a1c) GOTO 3k1b
3k2b2a2) Party tells Enrico that Harry gave a better deal and so Enrico must die.
3k2b2a2a) Go back to Harry, get reward.
3k2b2a2b) GOTO 3k1b
There is a rivalry between Enrico and Harry. Enrico is in charge of their little shadow thief approved operation. Hugh, Harry's brother, was his partner and equal. Harry wants to be in charge. The shadow thief higher ups don't care who runs it so long as the assigned jobs get done. The mod isn't about Enrico or Harry so I won't go too far in depth, but I do need to mention some of this so the player can understand why they want each other dead.

No quest points. Only XP comes from the killing. Only gold comes from the killing/selling of loot. Only explicit rewards are the items that Solestia started out with, except that now they've been modified to include the magical abilities that were unknown.
My working mods:

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 06:18:28 PM »
I've modified my first npc banter with Minsc, Boo and the player. I think there are more options available now. Some maybe a bit too off the wall, but hey the game is meant to be fun. Right?

I'm going to see if I can give Boo his own dialog file. Failing that, he'll just speak from whatever person he happens to be with.

I'm not sure if the below works yet, I've just finished making the adjustments.  Any thoughts, opinions?
BEGIN ab_boo

BEGIN ab_solb

CHAIN
IF ~InParty("minsc")
    !Dead("minsc")
    !StateCheck("minsc",STATE_SLEEPING)
    PartyRested()
    OR(2)
     Global("WWBooGone","GLOBAL",0)
     Global("WWBooGone","GLOBAL",2)
    Global("ab_solboofriends","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN ab_solb boo1
 ~Psst! Minsc, come here. Don't wake <CHARNAME> or the others yet.~
 DO ~SetGlobal("ab_solboofriends","GLOBAL",1)~
 == BMINSC ~Uh, what? What is it, Solestia?~
 == ab_solb ~There is something under my blanket.~
 == BMINSC ~Minsc does not need Boo to tell him 'Don't fall for that one.' Minsc can be pretty smart sometimes.~
 == ab_solb ~I'm sure you can, but I'm serious here. There is SOMETHING under my blanket.~
 == BMINSC ~Fine, fine, calm down. I'll just get Boo to check it out.~
 = ~Boo. Boo! Where are you?!~
 = ~He's not... No, not there... Maybe... No, no, and no.~
END
 ++ ~What is going on! Minsc! Why are you throwing your armor everywhere?~ GOTO ab_solb boo2
 ++ ~Whatever you're doing, do it quieter. I'm trying to sleep.~ EXIT

APPEND ab_solb
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN boo2
 SAY ~He's looking for Boo.~
 +~Global("WWBooGone","GLOBAL",2)~+ ~Boo is gone again? There really should be a leash law for hamsters.~ EXIT
 ++ ~Why is he looking for Boo?~ GOTO ab_solb boo3
 ++ ~Can you do it a little louder? I think there is a dracolich in the Thunder Peaks that didn't hear you.~ EXIT
END
END

CHAIN
IF ~~ THEN boo3
 ~Because there is SOMETHING under my blanket.~
 == BMINSC ~Boo is small and would fit under the blanket. Minsc is big and would not fit.~
END
 ++ ~Must I put up with this? Pull the blanket off and look.~ GOTO ab_solb boo4
 ++ ~Forget I asked. I don't want to know...~ EXIT
 +~Gender(Protagonist,FEMALE)~+ ~So, that's what it's being called these days? In that case, I've got a 'Boo'.~ EXIT
 +~OR(2)
 Class(Protagonist,DRUID_ALL)
 Class(Protagonist,CLERIC_ALL)~+ ~If size is a problem, there are herbs to make things bigger and cold water to make things smaller.~ GOTO ab_solb boo5

CHAIN
IF ~~ THEN boo4
 ~Well, looky there! Is that Boo?~
 == BMINSC ~See Minsc was right, Boo was able to fit under the blanket.~
 = ~He must have sensed evil. Boo, you stomped the butts of evil right out of her blankets! Good job!~
 == ab_boo ~Squeeeee... Zzzzzz... *rolls over and licks lips*~
 == ab_solb ~I don't think so. I think maybe he was here the whole time.~
 = ~See how he is curled up on my feet. Maybe, he thinks my hair is a soft place to sleep.~
 == ab_boo ~Squeeeee... Zzzzzz... *stretches feet and twitches tail*~
 == ab_solb ~Oh, what a cute yawn he has!~
 == BMINSC ~Wake up Boo! Come back.~
END

CHAIN
IF ~~ THEN boo5
 ~Uh... Not what we had in mind, but um... We'll take that under advisment.~
 == BMINSC ~If it will help find Boo, I will get some cold water and herbs. What herbs do I need to get?~
END
 ++ ~Minsc, look for Boo later. Lift the blanket off of Solestia's feet and see what is there.~ GOTO ab_solb boo4
 +~Gender(Protagonist,FEMALE)~+ ~I don't suffer from such problems and so I don't keep up on the latest in 'performance enhancing' herbs.~ EXIT
 +~Gender(Protagonist,MALE)~+ ~I know there are herbs out there, but I don't keep stock in what I don't need.~ EXIT
[/size]
My working mods:

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 01:21:36 AM »
Heh. I do like these.

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 12:33:54 PM »
Heh. I do like these.
Glad you like it. I'll have to see if I can come up with the next banter set then.
My working mods:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: