Author Topic: Question regarding playing order  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Cal Jones

• Planewalker
Question regarding playing order
« on: August 10, 2008, 11:34:53 AM »
I was going to take a break from BG2 mods to try this out.

My last runthrough of IWD was my first with TOLM installed. To play the whole thing in one game (rather than game +expansions) I did the following: IWD up to Upper Dorn's Deep. Returned to Kuldahar. Went to Lonelywood. Did HoW up to the Barbarian camp (big fight in which dragon spirit reveals itself). Then TOLM. Then back to Lonelywood to do the Sea of Moving Ice/Dragon finale. Then back to Kuldahar to do LDD and the end of IWD proper.
(I did try doing HoW with the intention of doing TOLM after but it dumps you back in Kuldahar after killing the dragon and I couldn't get back to Lonelywood as the barbarian guy had gone.)

Anyway, to cut a long story short, with the NPC mod work OK with this playing order?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Question regarding playing order
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 12:31:20 AM »
Great, this looks perfect. You can visit HoW a little earlier(say, right after Chapter 4 or even right after Chapter 3), but your order works, too.

Offline Cal Jones

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 12:39:51 PM »
OK groovy. Look forward to trying this! I always liked IWD (the music especially) but it did seem a little dull without the character interaction you get in BG2.

Offline Cal Jones

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 01:32:38 AM »
I guess it will have to be chapter 4 - tried after chapter 3 and the barbarian chap said my party wasn't experienced enough. *grumble grumble*

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 06:39:34 AM »
Cool, you'll still be fine - there's some jealousy and more romance hints in Ch 4, but no Serious Stuff.

Offline Cal Jones

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 02:32:43 PM »
Well, I did Upper Dorn's Deep then returned to Kuldahar (via Severed Hand to give Larrel the diary) and went to Lonelywood from there. Took the Luremaster quest straight away. That's pretty tough with a level 9 party (not that they're level 9 any more, of course...but still lower than most folks do that part of the game). Fun though. The interjections and banters make a lot of difference.
And still haven't made my mind up about which chap to romance. Argh!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 03:28:19 AM »
Heh. Well, the good news is that you have until Chapter 6 finale to figure out. So, save often in Chapter 6.

Offline evilsofa

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 05:15:34 AM »
I haven't played in that far yet, but this is what I've read so far on when to do HoW and ToTL:

I found a note somewhere that said "Do HoW and TotL any time between Chapter 3 and Chapter 5.  Right after Chapter 3 is the best time."  Edit: ah, this was Kulyok in another thread here.

And also, Dan Simpson's FAQ said: "The expansion is designed for level 9 characters..."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:17:28 AM by evilsofa »

Offline Cal Jones

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 12:31:52 PM »
I've completed the expansion and am back in the main game now.
I did ToLM before hitting the Heart of Winter stuff - it was tough, but I must admit I found Dragon's Eye very tough with this party (last time I played through IWD it was with a party of four, so they were a bit higher level by that point). After ToLM, the rest of HoW wasn't bad at all.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: