Author Topic: About backups  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
About backups
« on: August 03, 2008, 04:56:29 AM »
Today I saw one more "my files were lost" topic(on SHS, I think), shuddered, and decided to nag a little (more). A day spent (writing, modding, coding, editing) is precious. A day's work lost - well, for me it's a synonym for "nightmare".

So. I don't know about you, but I do the following:

Every day, around 6pm, I save my files, close them, mark them with the current date and archive them, aka IWDNPC16012008.zip, or Dragons28072008.rar. Then I open yandex.ru(or gmail.com), and send a letter to myself. Once in a while I forget to actually attach the file, but usually it works. (I could send a letter from yandex.ru to gmail.com, but that would be too inventive). I'm lucky because I can keep backups on my home computer _and_ on my work computer, but just in case, I also leave copies on my flash drive from time to time.

It doesn't take more than two minutes a day, and it works. Your hard drive may collapse any day. Today. Now.

Your mod, book, or software project is way more valuable than two minutes a day. Even if your name is ***.

Offline Lorph Halys

• Planewalker
Re: About backups
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 05:46:00 AM »
My computer's been slowly going wonky for about six months now. Between a complete frying of the CPU, (which, thanks to the boundless incompetence of certain computer technicians, took almost three weeks to get replaced) occasional refusal to load Windows, sudden and unsolicited reboots, intermittently slow performance (especially on startup) and a sprinkling of lockups here and there, I'm starting to think it's only a matter of time before the whole thing just succumbs to age and crumbles to dust.

And I already keep all of my important work backed up on a USB flash drive and on a CD, because the flash drive got stolen once and I only really got it back through sheer luck.

So thanks for this extra boost of paranoia, because I really needed it so badly. Do you know how wonderful and fulfilled my life could be if it wasn't for my overwhelming compulsion to save every three seconds?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 06:03:55 AM »
I'm an overwhelmingly nice person, yes.

// gone to watch some more Dr House.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 06:41:10 AM »
I don't think it's paranoia, but common sense. I feel very sorry for people that loose all their stuff and have to rebuild their computer because it broke down, but I don't feel too sorry if they lost everything they ever did for this project because they didn't make backups. It's what you do.

(And, if I may add, there are two rules in IE-Modding: 1. Never announce a release date of a yet unfinished project, and 2. Eventually, you will loose everything you ever did because of a HD crash. So beware. (Sorry, Lorph Halys))
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 06:42:47 AM by jastey »