Author Topic: 8 people who will ruin your party  (Read 4881 times)

Offline KIrving

• Planewalker
Re: 8 people who will ruin your party
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 01:30:53 AM »
Heh...I've been to parties, where all the "types" have been present.  :)
I've also been the person who cleans up, especially if it's at my own place, it's 3.00am and you just want people to f**k off, particularly the guy who decides to pee on your bathmat because they think it's a urinal. (I hate parties - if you decide to flee to a corner and read a book you just know that by the end of the evening someone will try to grope you (usually the guy that has recently broken up with their girlfriend/wife/dog and thinks your such a good listener ) and/or puke on you.
Look at the stars.
Listen to the rain.
Walk backwards.
Talk to a rock.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 01:46:17 AM »
Last time I've been to a party, it's been a rather harmless "unofficial" wedding; our friends invited people neither of us knew, but we had great time playing Mafia, exchanging riddles, eating and walking in the rain. Even the kid was fairly well-behaved. I prefer "quiet" parties by far, yeah. I never visit corporate parties, though: I prefer to think of my colleagues as well-mannered, intelligent, sober people. :)

I hate parties - if you decide to flee to a corner and read a book you just know that by the end of the evening someone will try to grope you (usually the guy that has recently broken up with their girlfriend/wife/dog and thinks your such a good listener

Oh, yeah. Never actual groping here, but "why wouldn't this guy shut up and leave me alone - and I can't pick the courage to stand up and move away" is my constant nightmare.

Offline KatieKillz

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 07:50:06 AM »
So the "creppy" guy reminds me much of my boyfriend lmao.  Not in the sense that he's like that at all, just once her gets to a certain degree of drunkeness, he starts making these extremely creepy faces.  We all call him "Chester, the child molester" because that's seriously what he looks like.

Offline Lorph Halys

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 08:42:36 AM »
Well this is just incorrect. "Couples who bring their baby" should be the undisputed and immovable holder of the #1 position. There is nothing, nothing that some bald, toothless little hellspawn stuck in "unearthly screech" mode cannot ruin. No matter how great the noise, a baby's wail can cut through it like a hideous, ragged scythe.

Then, of course, everyone at the party who just loves babies (which will invariably be EVERYONE BUT YOU) just has to take turns holding it and fawning over it and making nauseating smoochy-poo noises and saying inane things like "Awww he/she looks just like you" NO IT DOESN'T LOOK JUST LIKE THEM ALL BABIES LOOK THE SAME AND THAT IS NOT REMOTELY SIMILAR TO ANY ADULT HUMAN IN THE WORLD ANYWHERE ARRRRRGH.

OK, now I feel better. Don't worry folks. Parenting is not on my short or long-term agendas.

I don't necessarily agree that the "Guy who gets wasted" will ruin a party, though. I know someone like that and his inebriated antics tend to be quite harmless, even amusing in a surreal way. At a friend's birthday he spent a good amount of time lying flat on his back on the porch laughing happily, an empty plastic cup clutched in one hand. Just...laughing. All to himself. Had it not been for the overwhelming party atmosphere, it would have been almost serene.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 08:51:33 AM »
Well this is just incorrect. "Couples who bring their baby" should be the undisputed and immovable holder of the #1 position. There is nothing, nothing that some bald, toothless little hellspawn stuck in "unearthly screech" mode cannot ruin. No matter how great the noise, a baby's wail can cut through it like a hideous, ragged scythe.

Hey. Relax!  :P

I'm pretty relaxed about babies because there'll never be any in my apartment or my life, and my friends tend to warn me if there're going to be any in theirs. People can be inconsiderate - but it's other people.

The politics guy, though - oh-gods-no. No way. I'm having enough of these every time I visit SHS forums and see fresh piles in Rec Room.

Offline Lorph Halys

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 09:06:33 AM »
Hey. Relax!  :P

Oh, I see. It's OK when you do it. You're a mod.

Harumph.

The politics guy, though - oh-gods-no. No way. I'm having enough of these every time I visit SHS forums and see fresh piles in Rec Room.

As a rule, it's generally a good idea to prepare certain mental barriers before immersing oneself in any forum that contains some form of "...in my pants" thread.

Just saying.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 09:14:03 AM »
Heheh. Nice one.

Offline theacefes

• XTREME METAL ROCKER PUNK CHICK WITH ULTRA SURFBOARD
  • Planewalker
  • Is this thing on?
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 01:02:13 PM »
Very funny!

I always get stuck with the people who just broke up with their bf/gf. Before the end of the night, I suddenly know more about their personal life than I want to. But....as long as the free beer keeps coming, it's all good!

The baby thing isn't too bad...I mean, if it's a family gathering, then it should be okay. If you're talking about a full out party, probably not the best idea. Now...babies in movie theatres....doesn't work for me. You don't take your 9 month old to see "Pathfinder" at the 10:30pm showing.
Ace

Offline irenicus

• irenicus
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 11:03:49 AM »
Creepy Dude Who Tries To Bang Chicks At The Very End Of The Part

that guy looks EXCACTLY like one of the boys from my college

freaky X.X;;

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 11:24:04 AM »
Oh, gods, irenicus is in college! :)

How time flies...

Offline irenicus

• irenicus
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 11:54:20 AM »
Oh, gods, irenicus is in college! :)

How time flies...

CHAAAAW ^___^!!!

Doing performing arts next year BOOYA!

-shimmies-

I rememberes when I was the youngest here -tear-

wait.. I think I still am XD
mentally anyways

Offline theacefes

• Planewalker
  • Is this thing on?
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 12:52:33 PM »
No!! You....cannot....grow....up!! *Tries to prevent inevitable future* :D
Ace

Offline irenicus

• irenicus
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 04:29:54 PM »
No!! You....cannot....grow....up!! *Tries to prevent inevitable future* :D

^___^ Don't worry I'll always have the mental age of 6 I am sure =D

Offline Cal Jones

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 05:17:36 PM »
I'm pretty relaxed about babies because there'll never be any in my apartment or my life, and my friends tend to warn me if there're going to be any in theirs. People can be inconsiderate - but it's other people.

Ah, a woman after my own heart. Much as a psychopath lacks the ability to empathise with others, I lack any sort of maternal instinct whatsoever. I have an extremely low tolerance for children and someone might as well hand me a bag of maggots as a baby, as they'd get pretty much the same reaction.
When I was a teen and used to voice this opinion, I'd get all the usual reactions: "oh you'll change!" "It's different when it's your own," and "wait until your biological clock starts ticking!"
I'm 41 now, my feelings haven't changed and Mother Nature forgot to install my clock.

Don't get me wrong, I don't wish children harm and I don't begrudge people the right to have them. Just keep them away from me. And don't take them to parties either - parties are for grown-ups, mkay?

Offline theacefes

• Planewalker
  • Is this thing on?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 11:43:11 PM »

Ah, a woman after my own heart. Much as a psychopath lacks the ability to empathise with others, I lack any sort of maternal instinct whatsoever. I have an extremely low tolerance for children and someone might as well hand me a bag of maggots as a baby, as they'd get pretty much the same reaction.
When I was a teen and used to voice this opinion, I'd get all the usual reactions: "oh you'll change!" "It's different when it's your own," and "wait until your biological clock starts ticking!"
I'm 41 now, my feelings haven't changed and Mother Nature forgot to install my clock.

Don't get me wrong, I don't wish children harm and I don't begrudge people the right to have them. Just keep them away from me. And don't take them to parties either - parties are for grown-ups, mkay?

Yeah, the "oh you'll change" simply makes me sorta pity the person saying it to me...because usually the case is that they had a kid(s) around my age and then immediately after telling me this they say "I wonder what I could have done if things were different".

Don't forget the person who keeps trying to start stupid spin the bottle games every 15 minutes.
Ace

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 01:01:40 AM »
We stopped "spin the bottle" games when I was fourteen: if someone kisses your girlfriend, and you're Russian, you're supposed to "have a talk", and if it's your friend, it's rather uncomfortable, isn't it? :) Mafia games are pretty good, though.

Ah, a woman after my own heart.

You got my letter about file encoding, right?

Offline Cal Jones

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 02:12:45 AM »
Eh, no I didn't.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 02:14:56 AM »
Right, but it's in my sent folder from 29.07.2008, so either you deleted it with the spam or Yandex fizzled. I re-sent via Gmail.

Offline magrat

• Quiet
  • Planewalker
    • FF
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 04:06:59 AM »
Yeah, the "oh you'll change" simply makes me sorta pity the person saying it to me...because usually the case is that they had a kid(s) around my age and then immediately after telling me this they say "I wonder what I could have done if things were different".

Hee! :D  I had my one (and only) child fairly young, I suppose (I was 22).  But I'm probably the least maternal mother in existence -- my own kid has been the only one to not run away from me whenever I make eye contact...

And we're not stupid.  We know by the time he's ready to be doing his own thing, we'll have worked our way into half-decent paying jobs, and will be able to relive our youth in an excrutiatingly embarrasing way (from his point of view :) ).

But yes - I never tell people they'll 'change' or 'grow out of it'.  And I don't think I'd ever take my kid to an adults party, either (he's almost 6 now!) because... uh.  Well.   I just wouldn't.  I always get annoyed when I take Callum to see family films or things at the theatre and it's destroyed by screaming babies.  wtf is a 3 month old getting out of Kung-Fu Panda, exactly?
"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious."
  - Oscar Wilde

Discovery,
Reclaiming,
Hopelessly Ever After

Offline KIrving

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 04:51:56 PM »
My feelings exactly.  I've known all my life that having children held no interest and I used to get the "oh you'll change" etc.  (It always seems to be parents who say this.  I'm always surprised that I don't hear the sound of evil laughter afterwards and the sibilant whisper of "Join usss....".) 
It took a number of years to train our families, especially in-laws, that we were never going to contribute  to the family gene pool.  I think that our persistence with owning a two seat, classic convertible (that over the years has cost about as much as putting a child through school) has helped to crush their expectations.  (Well there might be room in the boot but I imagine that is frowned upon. :) )
Look at the stars.
Listen to the rain.
Walk backwards.
Talk to a rock.