Author Topic: Updated Race Descriptions  (Read 3942 times)

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
Updated Race Descriptions
« on: July 30, 2008, 06:50:04 AM »
The ingame descriptions will be updated but I doubt many people look at them anymore so here they are. Also, the demihumans gain various bonuses which are only hinted at in the descriptions. I have decided to be a little more specific.

* = added by FotD

DWARVES: Dwarves are short stocky fellows, easily identifiable by their size and shape. They have ruddy cheeks, dark eyes, and dark hair. Dwarves tend to be dour and taciturn. They are given to hard work, and care little for most humor. They enjoy beer, ale, mead, but most of all, they love gold. Dwarves have a natural resistance to magic and poison. They possess infravision, which allows them to see in the dark. They gain a bonus to their constitution, but incur a penalty to their charisma and dexterity. There are four racial divisions of dwarves within the Realms: Shield dwarves, Gold dwarves, Wild dwarves, and Duergar.

Special Abilities:

*Dwarves gain +1 to hit hobgoblins. Ogres and ogre mages suffer a -4 penalty to hit dwarves. Half-ogres are at -2 to hit.
Dwarves gain a bonus to paralyzation/poison/death magic, rod/staff/wand and spell saving throws bases on their constitution. 4-6: +1, 7-10: +2, 11-13: +3, 14-17: +4, 18-19: +5

ELVES: Elves tend to be shorter and slimmer than normal humans. Their features are finely chiseled and delicate, and they speak in melodic tones. Elves are looked upon as being frivolous and aloof. They concern themselves with natural beauty, dancing,  frolicking, and other similar pursuits. Their humor is clever, as are their songs and poetry. Elves have a natural resistance to charm and sleep magics. They can see in the dark with infravision, and they are very skilled in the use of the bow and all swords. They have a bonus to their dexterity, but incur a penalty to their constitution. There are five racial divisions of elves within the Realms: Gold elves, Moon elves, Wild elves, Sea elves, and Drow.

Special Abilities:

*Elves have gained 90% resistance to sleep and charm related spells and effects.
Elves gain +1 to hit with bastard swords, long swords, short swords, two-handed swords, scimitars, long bows and short bows.

HALF-ELVES: Half-elves are a mix of human and elven blood. They are handsome folk, with good features of each of their races. A half-elf has the curiosity, inventiveness, and ambition of their human ancestors, and the refined senses, love of nature, and artistic tastes of their elven ancestors. Half-elves have a limited resistance to charm and sleep spells. They can see in the dark with infravision.

Special Abilities:

*Half-elves have gained 30% resistance to sleep and charm related spells and effects.

HALFLINGS: Halflings are short, generally plump people, very much like small humans. Their faces are round and broad, and often quite florid. Their hair is typically curly, and the tops of their feet are covered with coarse hair. Overall they prefer the comforts of home to dangerous adventuring. They enjoy good living, rough humor, and homespun tales. Halflings are highly resistant to poisons and magic. They are naturally skilled with darts and slings as weapons, and have a limited ability to see in the dark. They receive a bonus to their dexterity, and incur a penalty to their strength. There are three racial divisions of halflings within the Realms: the Hairfoot, Tallfellow, and Stout.

Special Abilities:

Halflings gain +1 to hit with darts and slings
Halflings gain a bonus to paralyzation/poison/death magic, rod/staff/wand and spell saving throws bases on their constitution. 4-6: +1, 7-10: +2, 11-13: +3, 14-17: +4, 18-19: +5

GNOMES: Kin to dwarves, gnomes are noticeably smaller than their distant cousins. Gnomes, as they proudly maintain, are also less rotund than dwarves. Most have dark tan or brown skin, white hair, and rather large noses. Gnomes have lively and sly senses of humor, especially for practical jokes. They have a love for nature that is only matched by their love for gems and jewelry. Gnomes have natural resistance to magic. They can see in the dark with infravision. They gain a bonus to their intelligence scores, but incur a penalty to their wisdom.

Special Abilities:

*Gnomes gain +1 to hit kobolds. Gnolls, ogres, ogre mages and half-ogres suffer a -4 penalty to hit gnomes.
Gnomes gain a bonus to rod/staff/wand and spell saving throws bases on their constitution. 4-6: +1, 7-10: +2, 11-13: +3, 14-17: +4, 18-19: +5

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
Re: Updated Race Descriptions
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 01:42:35 PM »
Will you be implementing an update to half-orcs for the Tutu version?  I have material on them from the 2nd ed. Complete Book of Humanoids if you want a PnP reference.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 02:08:24 PM »
I think I will.

I own most non-campaign 2E books so I do not need the references.

Offline aVENGER

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 04:16:46 AM »
Nice work! I'll be sure to try FotD once a Tutu-compatible version is out. :)

BTW, you might be interested in this: PnP racial adjustments for thieving skills.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 04:36:09 AM »
Thanks.

The mod already includes those changes, although it looks like I forgot to mention it.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: